How long until you query the same magazine again?

Kristymarie_24

Registered
Reaction score
I am sending out queries to large publications. Until now I have only been working with trade magazines. I emailed a query and a follow up with no answer so obviously the mag is not interested in my idea. Thing is I have another idea that would be good for this magazine. Do I query them again? How long should I wait to query a national mag I have already queried? I send them to the associate editor so it will be the same lady.

Thanks for your help!

ps) Best magazine for marriage advice??? I've queried almost all women's mags with other ideas

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Well a lot of publications do offer guidelines on this. Generally it's a week - ten days after rejection of previous work.

But if this mag aint even replying....

i dunno. did you wait long enough for a response? (2-3 months) did you send a follow up query?

eta, if it's been 3 months with no reply, send a follow up query.

if still nothing...try a different mag? ;)

Last edited:

Kristymarie_24

Registered
Reaction score
I do email queries and read that the rule of thumb for those is a week. I then followed up about 10 days later and a week after that I have still not heard a reply. I think it is safe to say they are not interested in that particular idea.

I now have a NEW idea that would go great for the same magazine and want to know when I can send them a new pitch

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I have found that with some magazines, each query is 100% separate -- in other words, if I sent two queries in one day, it likely wouldn't even be noticed becuase they're different ideas. I suppose it would depend on the idea.

If it were me, if the second idea is completely non-related to the first idea, a couple weeks would be enough time to wait. After all, if you have a good idea for an article that they will want, they'll take it!

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Send it! Editors these days don't often send rejections if they're not interested so don't take it personally and e-mail them your new idea. I'll typically wait two weeks before sending a new pitch if I haven't heard back after my follow up.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think it would be fine to resend whenever you feel comfortable- they are most likely receiving a great amount of entries, and are not able to send in every one even though they may like your submission, so it doesn't hurt to continue to send more in!