"no one owns culture"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, though, is that when PoC say that they're the ones most qualified (not you, just a generalization) to write from their perspective (and they are) it can come across as a kind of intellectual/cultural snobbery and make it even more inaccessible to those who genuinely want to learn about that culture. JMO...

I don't see how it's snobbery in the least. Firsthand experience in anything generally makes someone more qualified to write about it.

That doesn't mean people can't write convincingly about experiences not their own.

If someone genuinely wants to learn about a culture, then seeking out primary sources shouldn't be a hurdle. It should be natural.

I'm asking nothing more of anyone else than I ask of myself.

What Kuwisdelu said.

That was quick! Are you Batwoman?

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
What can you do if you can't write about experiences that are, apparently, supposed to be your own?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
The thing is, though, is that when PoC say that they're the ones most qualified (not you, just a generalization) to write from their perspective (and they are) it can come across as a kind of intellectual/cultural snobbery and make it even more inaccessible to those who genuinely want to learn about that culture. JMO...

I'm going to agree with Kuwis. Its not snobbery if it's true. Not at all. If Kuwis was to say their more qualified then me to write the half Zuni experience it wouldn't be snobbery. Kuwis is mixed and happpens to be Zuni.

I myself am mulatto. And for a more intra racial spin on things, Kitty is black. She is more qualified then me to write from the perspective of a full black woman, and I'm more qualified to write the perspective of than her of a mullato lesbian. To outsiders we're both black, but my being mixed does change things. I'm still more qualified to write the experience of a full black woman than a middle aged white man but not as qualified as Kitty is.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What can you do if you can't write about experiences that are, apparently, supposed to be your own?

If you're referring to this...

There are some things about my own culture that I'm not allowed to write about it.

...then I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure that out myself.

There are some things I can't write about and some things I'm not sure if I should write about.

In the latter category, there are a few traditional stories that I'm trying to decide whether I should incorporate into my work-in-progress. These are stories I read in books. They have been appropriated by white authors who rewrote them as children's books. I didn't hear them in person from a storyteller, and I'm not a storyteller in the sense of my culture. I should seek out a storyteller and ask permission, but I'm a bit intimidated and worried I'd be seen as an outsider because I don't speak the language. I don't want to appropriate from my own culture.

In the former category, there are certain things I simply cannot write about because it would be sacrilege. Our rites of passage and initiation into a kiva is an example of this category. I can't describe what happens. Yet if I'm writing a coming-of-age novel based on my experience, that experience is going to be part of it. So I have to find a respectful way to incorporate it while writing around the ceremonies themselves, which I can't describe.

Anyone who wants to accuse me to racism or elitism or saying white people can't write about certain things should try to understand just how terrified I am of accidentally writing my own culture disrespectfully.

And how long it's taken me to feel confident enough to try at all.

I grew up writing white characters because I was too scared I'd get anyone else wrong. Even me.

And my god, I still cringe at remembering my first horrible attempt at writing a black character.

I grew up feeling like my own culture belonged to someone else.

So dammit, I am taking it back now.

So I guess, if you still don't understand, I want to ask:

Why do you feel you're as qualified when it takes everything I have to convince myself I have the right to even try?

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree with Kuwis, I'm still getting used to writing mixed characters. And I'm still scared I'll mess it up and they would be too black to non-black people, and too white to black people.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense, I am afraid to go to some of my own people because I still do t think I got as much education as I "should" have when I was a kid, and my sect isn't "good enough," etc.

Then again my group is completely over represented in media so I shouldn't even try, should I? Ugh. This is why I write pretty much exclusively alt-universe spec fic, I'm too terrified of offending anyone.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Then again my group is completely over represented in media so I shouldn't even try, should I? Ugh. This is why I write pretty much exclusively alt-universe spec fic, I'm too terrified of offending anyone.

I think we need to get over the fear of offending people.

(Which is not an excuse not to do research or not to try to be respectful.)

I think most people aren't going to think you're a bad person just because you screwed up when it's clear that you tried. (I certainly won't.)

It's how you respond to it that really matters. Do you get defensive? Or do you apologize and take it to heart and vow to do better next time?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I break down in terror, usually. That's probably not a good response but it's the only one I have for most things.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I break down in terror, usually. That's probably not a good response but it's the only one I have for most things.

Well, with the internet, it's possible to break down in terror secretly, and then come back and respond when you're more composed later. ;)

*thinks of how many posts I've written and never posted*

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Like I mean I have been looking at a project that would be steampunk Ottoman Empire based. I've heard so many people begging for non-European steampunk and whenever they see this idea they get really excited. But I have no idea how to go about it, particularly with the "offensiveness" because while the ethnic groups still exist there is no Ottoman Empire anymore, and, being an empire, has a significant amount of nasty history.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have often thought I should just not write at all because no matter what I wrote, it would somehow, no matter who I wrote about, be horribly racist.

I do wonder what would happen if we all just decided to chill out a bit.

Probably nothing good, considering the internet age.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
So I guess, if you still don't understand, I want to ask:

Why do you feel you're as qualified when it takes everything I have to convince myself I have the right to even try?
-----

As someone who's trying his best to become an established writer--yeah, it's a dream--I realized a long time ago that if I ever wanted to make it as a writer then I'd have to try different things. Write outside the box. Challenge my own boundaries.

Twisted is a result of that. So is Lindsay Versus the Marauders. The former deals with a gender switch; the latter has a lesbian MC. As a guy, straight, and as white as the driven snow, this is about as different for me as it gets.

Am I qualified as a woman to write this? No. Am I qualified to come at a story from the POV of a lesbian MC? Others would say no, and truth be known, the whole notion just plain scared the shit out of me at first.

But if I'm ever going to be a good writer and NOT just write about tried-and-true white guys who get into trouble with the law and then find the girl of their dreams, then this is my way of understanding or, at the very least, trying to understand a different POV. I may not be successful at it, not totally, but it's a start on my own path to literary enlightenment.

Will I offend some people along the way? Probably. I'm in the process now of finishing off a novel in which one of the main characters is a transgendered teenager. If it's published, will it offend some members of the transgendered community? Probably. But as a writer, and as someone who's making an honest effort to understand things as they are, then that's the risk I'm willing to take.

Sorry if I offended anyone earlier on with my comments. Those were my honest feelings in the matter.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I mean if I write about white people, I'm racist, if I don't, I'm only writing in fear because with every word I'm liable to be called racist anyway. If I try to write about a place where race isn't a thing people pay attention to, it's immediately assed that people with dark skin are going to be the bad guys, if I write about people like me, I'm just contributing to the over inundation of stories about Jews, who obviously need to get out of the way for other minorities, if I write about cute woodland creatures they're still coded as white and I'm still racist...

I mean... I started writing for pleasure... So I think I need to trash any ambitions I had and never show my work to anyone to retain any of that...

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
For me, a lot of the issue here is what do I want my readers to experience? My highest aspiration as an author is what I personally want as a reader. I want to be entertained. As a reader, I don't want to fret, I don't want to worry or muse about deep things. I want a rollicking, wild ride that leaves me closing the book, breathless and satisfied.

So I tend, as an author, to focus less about internal issues than external threats. Does that make me less sensitive to some of the culture issues? Yes, probably. But my character's issues have more to do with the paranormal culture they belong to than the human variety. Writing a serious literary or genenral fiction is, to me--and maybe ONLY me--far different than most of the genre fiction I write and read.

Do I worry I'm not portraying cultures well? Not really. In fact, not at all. I make my characters individuals. Some worry about their heritage, some don't. For those who don't, who identify themselves with their chosen group (whether that group is wannabe actors or cops or surfers) the heritage details don't have much book time. For those who do, it's their driving force and I spend more research time on their particular worries. So far, I've only had, I think, two fans who had any quibbles with portrayal, and I fixed those with the subsequent re-issue and made them happy. More often, fan mail has been in support of the characters and their believability.

My best advice: Don't worry so much that it paralyzes you. That does no good for you or the readers. :Shrug:

Deleted member 42

I mean if I write about white people, I'm racist, if I don't, I'm only writing in fear because with every word I'm liable to be called racist anyway...

This is what's called reductio ad absurdum.

No one is saying you can't write X or Y. For the love of all that's holy, people write about Grendel, and Elves and Orcs, and homicidal maniacs; but they do it with care and thought and effort and honesty.

No one is asking more than that.

Do you write with good will?

Are you interested in writing genuinely and honestly?

Are you willing to work at it?

Are you willing to ask beta readers for help?

Then get on with it.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: looking over this, my thoughts are scrambled. Sorry about that

I wasn't sure if I could/am able to contribute to this thread, but upon seeing a few posts about being Irish and Jewish, I figured I'd throw out my strange experience.

Also, slhuang's post really resonated with me because the idea of owning a culture terrifies me for basically the same reasons.

I am also a first-generationer and I have issues with my own culture. My native language is not the same as my parents. My mother spoke Polish and my father spoke Czech & Slovak. This has, and will be until we die, been a source of conflict for us. There are things I cannot convey to my own family. Sure, I have been brought up listening to the music and eating the food, but I'm not as "ethnic" as they are. They assimilated more. That was not my choice. It never was. I have family that are more and less ethnic than me. It's strange to think of family in that way.

I have been raised with (I guess) a more European view that looks at whiteness a bit differently as many in Europe tend to see Slavs as a "fake white" or just "not-white." I have never seen British or Irish people as the same race as me. I just can't. Our cultures are too different.

ETA: the point of this is to point out that while I know I'm not Irish I still don't see issue with time celebrating St Patricks day, but then again I also understand the history of it

Personally, I always self identified as Slavic, and not necessarily as white. (Now, I don't get cocky and label myself as a PoC either.) But things changed about a year ago when my grandmother confessed on her death bed that she was a cyganko, or gypsy.

We had always made guesses and jokes about it because she had a lot of stories, traits, and beliefs that were very different from everyone around her. Curious, I poked around and forced my family to give me answers about her life which matched with the info I read about on Wikipedia on Polish Rom. Not only had my grandmother hid from that part of her life for many years due to persecution she faced from people around her, but so did my mother and her brothers.

Some people claim that Romani is a PoC. (I'm not sure I do, but that's another topic).

Can I claim this? Am I allowed to? The thing is, when it was finally confirmed I felt a kind of click inside. Everything finally made a kind of sense to me.

So here I am, with a culture I didn't know I "had." I'm currently writing a book with a main character who is more Romani than I and I worry about how I'm doing it, if I doing it right or just adding to the gypsy stereotypes. I think my only saving grace is that I'm using the lens of "first generation" and "assimilation" if that makes any sense.

It might not be as distinct as kuwi's but I am freaking out about it none the less. Should someone else be able to write about this? Sure, if they treat it with respect but that doesn't help me.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

I completely understand what you are saying, and I empathise. But to look at it another way:

Why do you feel that your insecurities should impact on my writing?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you feel that your insecurities should impact on my writing?

Where do you think my insecurities came from?

Not yours specifically (I'm assuming), but from other writings from the culture of "no one owns culture" that appropriated our stories and told them with no respect for cultural accuracy or our cultural ownership of them.

I grew up reading "traditional" stories told by white men about my people that I'm only learning now more than a decade and a half later were full of lies and mistakes and romantic revisionism.

If you come from a dominant culture where everyone knows your stories and they're easily accessible in dozens of languages in an Internet instant, and they were not systematically destroyed and erased by attempted genocide, then I can understand why it may be difficult to understand the weight of this issue and the damage it can cause.

But such careless writing is not without harm.

I apologize if I'm sounding hyperbolic, but I feel like it's the only way I can communicate this, and I feel sick that I feel like I should apologize for it. How twisted is that?

So looking at it "another way"... just makes me feel sad... and angry... (not at you...)

I can only hope my insecurities will impact your writing... to inspire you to do better than they did, if you choose to tell other peoples' stories... So other children will not grow up believing lies about themselves...

Of course, there is nothing I can do to stop anyone from writing about whatever they want however they want.

But as I've tried to state multiple times before... I don't want to discourage anyone from writing about other cultures. Rather, I encourage it. I just beg that you take to heart this perspective in how you go about it.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Where do you think my insecurities came from?

Not yours specifically (I'm assuming), but from other writings from the culture of "no one owns culture" that appropriated our stories and told them with no respect for cultural accuracy or our cultural ownership of them.

I grew up reading "traditional" stories told by white men about my people that I'm only learning now more than a decade and a half later were full of lies and mistakes and romantic revisionism.

This, I know almost all the books I read as a small kid for black children weren't written by black people. And as such they really did no matter how untintentionally write it from the perspective of a most likely white author.

Same thing for any books or media my mom could find for me and my sister on Native American stories. My mom didn't have a lot to choose from, and to be frank. Agents and publishers still greatly prefer stories, even legends from other non-white cultures told from the perspective of a white author.

Because of this people like me and Kuwis are nervous when it comes to writing about our communities, or incorperating things from those communities into our writing.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Because of this people like me and Kuwis are nervous when it comes to writing about our communities, or incorperating things from those communities into our writing.

But you sure have an advantage. I wouldn't write an MC with a culture that I wasn't very familiar with until I did a lot of research. And even then, I'd be working with one arm tied around my back. Unless you really know a culture there's a strong likelihood you'll offer up a surface portrayal. Not just true with culture though, right? True of any life factor you're not so familiar with. I find that for me, for my two ethnic groups, one kind of white, one kind of brown, both often stereotyped in books and movies, my bigger strength is in knowing what they're not.

So far my MCs have all been of one or the other cultures. Did I worry that I was going to get it wrong? Definitely. Did I worry that I was gonna either perpetuate the stereotypes or go so far out of my way to dispel them that I would deny the truths about them that may have been part of the stereotypes? Definitely. It's a difficult tightrope to walk. But what I'm always concerned with is depicting the truth, as best I know it, for this particular MC, from this particular culture, with these other factors and with the circumstances that he/she is presented with. Their truth, as best as i can see it, that's the best that I can do.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But you sure have an advantage.

In terms of resources and experiences to draw from? Sure.

In other ways, not so much.

See aruna's examples for how writing from the insider perspective can lead to difficulty with publishing and acceptance by the majority reading audience.

And if you're not a member of the community you're writing about, you don't have to worry very much about being rejected by it if you do screw up, and that rejection by our community is a major fear for some of us.

There are many white authors who see great success and are unbothered about being rejected by the communities they've disrespectfully depicted.

(And conversely, there are some writers who write respectfully and are embraced for it.)

Did I worry that I was gonna either perpetuate the stereotypes or go so far out of my way to dispel them that I would deny the truths about them that may have been part of the stereotypes?

A common reaction to criticism I see — particularly when it involves historical fiction — "but that's just how people thought in the day; do you want to throw out Mark Twain too?"

What this reaction ignores is how Twain's narratives are skillfully crafted to subvert the racism in them and communicate a completely different message.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've read a couple of really cringe-worthy novels set in India by Westerners who, even though they had actually lived in India, still didn't get some of the nuances of life there. An example is this book.. Not a bad story, if you can get past the usual cliche of white-woman-going-to-backward-country-and-saving-the-poor-natives.

The author had lived in Madras/Chennai; so have I. But you could tell almost from the first page that she had never really "absorbed" India; that she remained a stranger, even though she knew a lot of straight facts about the culture. For example: a women's shelter decides to hold a feast for all the poor women living there. The main dish: chicken. I'm still scratching my head how she got that wrong. In Chennai, vegetarian is the default; restaurants that serve meat identify themselves as non-veg in bold signs outside. There would never, ever be a non-veg feast for a community such as this.
Constantly, the author had the Indian women thinking as a Westerner would; she had no inkling as to nuances that might make an Indian attitude sometimes the very opposite to a Westerners; she just went around assuming that the Western take was right.

So you see, Shaldna, it's not just about offending people or stepping on sensitive toes. It's about understanding, getting beneath the skin, getting it right. And you can only really do that if you have walked in the other's shoes, and left your own identity behind. You really have to shed that skin you know and get into another -- completely. That's what I love about books -- they enable you to do so without ever leaving your home -- but you have to trust that the author knows what she is doing. The author of the book above didn't -- and her readers don't know that she didn't to judge from the good reviews she reaped. THAT'S what it's about. If you cannot get into that other skin, at least partly, you have no business writing the character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.