Anyone ever spoken with/had their work read by a "famous author"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I would assume anyone who's been published has been read by all sorts of readers, including the 'famous.' I'm not famous myself but I was on a committee with some major writers in order to choose the 'best short mystery' of the year. Wow did we read a lot of stuff! (And skimmed a good amount of it just due to quantity.)

If you're published, you're being read.

klswaim

Learning to love rejection...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kevinleeswaim.blogspot.com
I had a year of graduate level writing classes with Dave Wallace.

People ask me what that was like and I tell them it was like repeatedly being kicked in the crotch.

Wait, more like a punch in the face.

No, I was right the first time. Definitely a kick in the crotch.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm in a program founded by Ellen Hopkins, and I'm guessing that she's read some of my writing, at least. (Well, technically, I did write a grant for her, and there's that). Whether not she'll read my novel when it's done . . . who knows? It'd be nice, and I'd appreciate it, that's for sure.

And if you think meeting one of your favorite writers at a con is strange/awesome/weird ... the first time I met Ellen in person, I was having Thanksgiving dinner. At her house. Without the police being called on me. Now that was surreal.

Last edited:

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Iain Banks very kindly read (most of) my third/fourth draft (it wasn't even finished), said nice things and offered practical advice. And Michael Redpath (a very successful British novelist and, at one time, by far the leading British author of financial thrillers) kindly gave me some very helpful advice when I was just getting started.

Aquarius

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
John Gregory Brown.

He said "I have a great deal of potential." right after he banned me from ever writing in my preferred genre ever again in his class. At least, he didn't say I completely sucked. :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I held Lee Child in my arms. Well, maybe he held me. I dunno, but we had met the night before in a group and he hugged me like an old pal at The House of Blues in Cleveland. I swooned a little.

He's a very nice man.

I've met quite a few famous writers and with only one exception found them all to be completely delightful people.

ETA - as for reading, both Peter Straub and Tana French read TGF and getting to talk to those two immensely talented people about writing has been, to this point, just about the greatest thing ever.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Joe Abercrombie made me pizza once, does that count?

I didn't know who he was either..or Peter Hamilton, who was helping him... They were just some guys making pizza. Good job I'd just put my glass down when I found out. They were ultra charming (and so was Adrian Tchaikovsky, but I recognised him...and he blurbed my book later, bless him)

This will probably be my greatest claim to fame ever, so I'm claiming it! :D

ETA: Although dinner with Brent Weeks might top it? He taught me a rude word in Greek.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Mr Flibble read my two (so far) completed books and he's famous!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I've met Neil Gaiman (twice), George R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb, Iain Banks, Margaret Atwood, and a few others at conventions and things. I saw Terry Pratchett from afar.

Robin Hobb read Pantomime and blurbed it (considering she's my favourite author of all time and I met my husband through her books, it's super exciting). So did Malinda Lo, and a few other authors, though I know most of them as friends.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joe Abercrombie made me pizza once, does that count?

*ears perk up*

Bwur?

*pounces on Mr Flibble*

Whenwherewhathowwhat!!!!!! *dies of jealousy*

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see....nope and nope on both accounts. I think that will never change unless I get out of Kentucky.

The pains of getting a Master's.

But honestly? I'd be terrified to let any successful author read my work unless it was spick and span.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you're published, you're being read.

Yes, but do you know by whom, and have you spoken to them about it?

Even after thirty-five years, I still get a kick out of just having my byline published in the table of contents or on the cover next to the name of a writer I've long admired. A favorable comment by such a writer still makes me feel really good, as well.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I had a real-life famous author (Jane Yolen) compliment my book reviews once. Dunno if that counts, though.

And I once got a rejection letter from Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Mostly, I'm in the "take only pictures, leave only footprints" camp when it comes to Big People. They have enough idiots to deal with without me joining the pile.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Gary A Braunbeck judged a flash fiction reading contest I entered, and told me afterwards that he loved it and to start submitting that story. It has not been accepted anywhere yet.

Anne McCaffrey almost ran over my friend with her wheelchair. Twice. ;)

I've talked to many authors at conventions, but never about my books. However several published authors that came from AW have read some or all of my books (published or not).

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If I was ever to meet a famous author I would be so much in awe that I would not be able to say anything or do anything other than ...

:Hail:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if rejection letters count, I've had a whole bunch of famous writer/editors read and comment on my writing.

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
I met with my very first favorite author (Joseph Girzone) about 22 years ago at a book signing. We clicked instantly and spoke for hours. His book, Joshua, is still one of my favorites and had a massive impact on who I am today.

I've since met a few other authors and am currently e-mail friends with three authors of popular cozy mysteries, writing regularly with them. (My favorite genre.) One of them read some of my work and replied with this:

"Thank you for letting me read your work. It truly inspired me and will go on my wall of things I look at to get me through tough days. You'll be hanging there with Charles Spurgeon and Charles Dickens and Oswald Chambers."

That was incredibly encouraging and scarily humbling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.