Middling It

Kaitlin Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a story out at Penumbra for 65 days now. The call for the theme ('isolation') has closed and still no word. I think I'm going to query today and see what's up.

Mine for isolation is also still there (only 32 days though). It seems a bit late in the month for them, but since I only see 5 April responses on duotrope and none on the grinder I assume they haven't sent most of the responses for this issue yet. Good luck if you query.

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a story out at Penumbra for 65 days now. The call for the theme ('isolation') has closed and still no word. I think I'm going to query today and see what's up.

Sai, my 'isolation' submission is at 80 days with no word (I subbed really early).

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Penumbra tends to respond to all theme submissions in big batches. I'd say wait until you see a large number of responses on The Grinder before you query -- otherwise they're just running a bit behind with everyone and your sub is likely not lost.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Congrats and hoping for good news, Melinda, CL, Michael & Gnome!

I'm at Penumbr@, too. I've subbed there four times and it's as Alex said. Like Kaitlin, I still see zero for April on Grinder, so I'm waiting it out. I've been shortlisted twice, although they don't say so until they send the R. Saves wear & tear. :) Hoping for good news to all of you waiting on it.

I have a few subs that I'm past the average wait time on, yet I don't get as hopeful as I did last year, now that I'm more used to the process. Doesn't stop me from checking email and Grinder often.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Penumbra responded to my query to say that it will be a while before they get around to the Isolation issue. Fingers crossed for everyone here!

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Penumbra responded to my query to say that it will be a while before they get around to the Isolation issue. Fingers crossed for everyone here!

Thanks for the update!
I tried getting my mind off all the ones that are past the average response time by getting more out -- 7 more exclusive subs in the past couple days. Now I have 15 that I'm waiting on. Does not seem to be helping.

I'm writing a lot more, subbing a lot more, and all the waiting still gets to me. I'm even working out more. I even took some time off. Guess I'll have to do more submissions.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a lot more, subbing a lot more, and all the waiting still gets to me. I'm even working out more. I even took some time off. Guess I'll have to do more submissions.

You're Captain Productive at the moment! I find the waiting is still hard with lots of subs out, but the rejections become mostly just meh, which is progress of sorts.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Aislinn -- Yeah, that's part of what I was going for -- making the submissions and rejections less loaded by having a lot of fiction in the works and out to editors. My remaining shreds of optimism also reasoned that once there is a breakthrough, I will need plenty of stories available to maintain momentum.

Turns out I was middling it at Pen@mbra. Yet another close, but no.

I have a couple more that are past the usual response times. Keeping the focus on writing and submitting as much as possible. Getting hopes up and crashing is such a waste of energy. I'm getting better at not getting too hopeful, yet the close calls are a downer.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I'm entering the 80s at Ap3x. Just got a G Grimm bump.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Rewrite request from Shotgun Honey for my summertime crime yarn, with specific and constructive suggestions. The editor also suggested taking a week or two, because he’s found quick rewrites usually don’t work. Interesting.

In other news, The Shamus Sampler, a private eye anthology that includes one of my stories just hit #6 in Mystery Anthologies and Collections, and #8 in Private Investigator Mysteries in Amazon’s Kindle ebook sales rankings.

Why? Because it’s free this Saturday and Sunday (5/10 and 5/11). The antho includes some superb authors (plus me) so snag a freebie if you like private eye mysteries.

Best wishes,
Peter

Last edited:

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Rewrite request from Shotgun Honey for my summertime crime yarn, with specific and constructive suggestions. The editor also suggested taking a week or two, because he’s found quick rewrites usually don’t work. Interesting.

In other news, The Shamus Sampler, a private eye anthology that includes one of my stories just hit #6 in Mystery Anthologies and Collections, and #8 in Private Investigator Mysteries in Amazon’s Kindle ebook sales rankings.

Why? Because it’s free this Saturday and Sunday (5/10 and 5/11). The antho includes some superb authors (plus me) so snag a freebie if you like private eye mysteries.

Best wishes,
Peter

Ooh, exciting! I just downloaded it.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Wishing good news for you guys middling at the A and the D.

Just queried a mag I've been waiting on three months.

Peter -- Thanks and congrats! Good you're getting so many readers and high rankings. Just bought my free copy.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
One of my stories got moved up to the top editor at apex.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
...And just as I was moaning about the lack of responses... bumped at Apex too. You guys got any coffee? :)

I don't drink coffee, but I did just make a new fresh batch of mozzarella - got some wine?