Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
*checks house for spy and recon smibbles*

heh - you have mentioned it before. :) I don't recall, because it wasn't anywhere near here, but if you're near eye, it would have stuck. :)

And, you probably don't really want it, but here's my advice: Stop *thinking* about writing and just do it. And I don't mean you're sitting there twiddling your thumbs thinking about what to write, I just mean that you're over-analysing it when you do do it. You need to just get lost in what you're writing (that's when your characters might do unexpected things, too!). Seriously, don't go back and re-read anything, because if you're like me, you'll edit 9 Hells out of it before you try to write any more and by that point, you're so freaking tired of the thing it almost hurts to try to go on. Just press on until you've told your first draft. That's an important distinction - maybe when you're pushing 70 like Stephen King, you'll be able to crap out a book in an almost fully polished state, but for mere mortals, it takes time to get good enough to actually craft AS you're writing. First drafts are meant to be full of holes and sort of random and have lots of unnecessary exposition and not quite fully-formed characters. Don't feel like you're less of a writer just because what you produce on a first attempt isn't worthy of Dickens or whatever (Sorry... I hate Dickens, but his was the first literary name that popped into my head). And don't worry about writing gay characters, either. You'll just go to a speciality press for publication where those of us who enjoy reading about male relationships (or stories with openly gay characters, whether romance or not) know where to find them. Maybe you won't make a million quid at it, but to be fair, few writers ever do no matter what they publish.

It makes me sad that writing seems to cause you so much frustration. :Hug2:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaand since it's apparently Australia Day...

kiwibird.jpg

I assume this is nothing like an actual kiwi bird, but it's what I always picture. :D

This is a sign I need to get off facebook. I have a story swap contribution to finish! :eek:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
It makes me sad that writing seems to cause you so much frustration. :Hug2:
It makes me sad too... but thank you for the encouragement/friendly kick up the rear/advice. :D

ETA: Adding another thing to the 'character names' discussion occasionally going on, another thing I tend to do is when I start writing something I'm not sure about, I start writing it as essentially an AU fanfiction. Seems to really free me up for some reason. *shrug*

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Although, after reading that article BW linked to I have to admit that I'm guilty of using Katherine as a MC's name. The character is Irish, so I thought it fit. :shrug:

No rule is absolute - check out any thread on... well, anything. There are get-out clauses for all kinds of "rules". If anyone offers a rule as an unbendable, unbreakable, never-to-be-done, then send them over so I can slap them with a fish.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Writing realistic characters tends to be one of the parts of the writing process that stumps me the most. I try, but most of the time they either end up as stereotypes or as shallow cardboard cut-outs to dumbly stumble their way through anything I decide I want to have happen.

*shrug* I'm just not all that good at what I do.

I guess I'm curious as to what kinds of beings your characters are? Myself I do much better when my characters are non-human as in trees, dogs, a squirrel.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
No rule is absolute - check out any thread on... well, anything. There are get-out clauses for all kinds of "rules". If anyone offers a rule as an unbendable, unbreakable, never-to-be-done, then send them over so I can slap them with a fish.
Nerd moment: I was about to suggest the Law of Equivalent Exchange as an example of a rule that is absolute.

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score
It makes me sad too... but thank you for the encouragement/friendly kick up the rear/advice. :D

ETA: Adding another thing to the 'character names' discussion occasionally going on, another thing I tend to do is when I start writing something I'm not sure about, I start writing it as essentially an AU fanfiction. Seems to really free me up for some reason. *shrug*

Any time. heheh :) I know it's all easier said than done. I'm gradually getting over my need to over-edit while I'm still drafting, but dang, it's hard!

Also, that's a very good trick! Well done. :) I sometimes break out of 'proper' writing and start doing stuff like, 'So then he says no and she's all why not and he storms off and then they're both miserable all night. But you know. More writerly.' :)

I guess I'm curious as to what kinds of beings your characters are? Myself I do much better when my characters are non-human as in trees, dogs, a squirrel.

Oooh, are you new? Hello! Have a magic glass and a pile of comfy smibbles. Watch out for the kraken - she can be a little rambunctious. The hat raptor hasn't been seen in a while, but I'm sure I heard a short, sharp scream over near the dong garden the other day, so tread carefully. Otherwise, enjoy the treehouse of awesomeness (map in Sian's sig, at the moment) known as The Cantina. :)

My characters are mostly human-ish, but I'm open-minded. (I know that wasn't for me, but since I'm replying to you and saying hi, I thought I should answer!) ;)

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, are you new? Hello! Have a magic glass and a pile of comfy smibbles. Watch out for the kraken - she can be a little rambunctious. The hat raptor hasn't been seen in a while, but I'm sure I heard a short, sharp scream over near the dong garden the other day, so tread carefully. Otherwise, enjoy the treehouse of awesomeness (map in Sian's sig, at the moment) known as The Cantina. :)

My characters are mostly human-ish, but I'm open-minded. (I know that wasn't for me, but since I'm replying to you and saying hi, I thought I should answer!) ;)

I'm new, joined about two weeks ago, thank you for the welcome. Talk about writing out of character I'm working on a new how-to book the topic is dyeing with madder root so what I'm doing? I'm writing a SF piece of course!

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new, joined about two weeks ago, thank you for the welcome. Talk about writing out of character I'm working on a new how-to book the topic is dyeing with madder root so what I'm doing? I'm writing a SF piece of course!

Of course! I'm the same. Anything to procrastinate writing what I'm meant to! heh :) Dyeing with madder sounds interesting! I've used it in soap before (for personal use, not for sale) with some success, but I've not used it for dyeing wool/fabric. Are you writing about natural mordants, too? Is it historical or practical? :) What's your SF piece about? (Yeah... I'm nosy! Heh)

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
What's that I hear? Newbie?

*pulls on rope, smibbles rain from the ceiling*

In other words, :welcome:
I read that as "pulls on robe" and was like "good lord woman, what were you doing in here?"

But yes, welcome to the newbie. Just ignore all these crazy people. You stick with me, you'll be alright. Or irreperably insane. I've gotten both reactions, truth be told.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

Yes yes, I know. It's just one of those things where you read it and go, "Oh, yeah, I do that." I won't change her name or anything. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud:

Car show was a blast, but I'm now exhausted. And hungry. I really need some food.

Went from names in stories to stories about Godzilla. I'm distracted far too easily.

In short: Writing a 130-character pitch for your book is a good exercise, and something I may try to do more often. AW = awesomeness.
This is something I should work on. I'm so terrible at summarizing.

It just baffles me. Well, baffles me and makes me self-conscious because maybe that's what supposed to happen and I'm just not good enough for my own characters to do it.
First off, :Hug2: You are far too hard on yourself, RA.

Second, I can't remember a time where characters surprised me. My own mind has surprised me. Ideas have come from nowhere that made me think, "What a great idea." I've never thought, "I never expected so and so to do that."

Dinner is ready. *dashes from the Cantina, leaving behind a trail of drool *

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've worked like a towhead for two days on this outline, and I'm finally getting to the endgame. I know what comes next, the villain is going to show his ornery face (at church, no less!), it's going to be great.

So why am I suddenly just not interested in writing it down? I want to go conquer the forces of good on the computer in the back room.

(my kids always laugh at me when I want to go play Sins of a Solar Empire. I hobble down the hall and they say, "Where you goin'?" My answer: "I'm feeling the need to channel my inner Darth Vader." Yeah, I'm silly like that.)

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
Hey folks. I'm just in from my work gang's Christmas Night Out (we've been somewhat disorganised) and I've been drinking slowly but solidly for the last six hours, so... I am not to be held accountable for any spelling errors that may creep into any post, 'kay?

Otherwise, expect courteous banter as normal.

BM

Status
Not open for further replies.