Write 1/Sub 1 2014

mgherron

Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mgherron.com
I'm totally in now. The goal is 1 story per month.

Just submitted my first finished short story to Ellery Queen and Tin House today :)

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to join too, if I can.

My goals for 2014 are:

• One short written and subbed per month (January's effort is done and out)
  • Keep my completed stories in circulation, not mouldering on the hard drive
  • Complete a final draft of my WIP novel and get a query package out there

If I can stick to that I'll be a happy bunny indeed.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'd like to join too, if I can.

My goals for 2014 are:

• One short written and subbed per month (January's effort is done and out)
  • Keep my completed stories in circulation, not mouldering on the hard drive
  • Complete a final draft of my WIP novel and get a query package out there

If I can stick to that I'll be a happy bunny indeed.
:hooray: It's never too late to join, so welcome, Stormchild! :welcome:

Also, congrats for reaching your January goal. I like all three of your goals, but particularly number two. Stories can't sell if they're tucked up at home :)

CuriousMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
I already keep a 500 word minimum/day everyday, but aim for two shorts stories wrote, rewrote, primped, and off to a potential press every month.

So far, in January, I've made 4 shorts and 4 flash. I've had a lot of vacation time in January, though. We'll see how writing while working changes those statistics.

Wish me luck! :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to W1S1, CuriousMonkey! :welcome:

I dig your avatar!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I never did post in this part, just dove into the other threads. My goals are less specific stories in time and more if there is a deadline for something (contest, anthology) to actually write a story for it rather than go "Oh, I should try that." *deadline passes*

So possibly not proper W1S1, but I'm hanging out here anyway :)

typewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I finished a rough draft of a short story I'm gonna submit when the UFO anthology submissions open next month. Have a lot of work to do.

Never submitted anything before. It's definitely not great. I'm not sure it's good. I've done a quick revision but probably need to do a couple more. It's almost 4000 words.

I think I'm getting discouraged at a large portion that I want to either take out completely or move to another part.

Either way, looking forward to finally submitting something!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
typewriter, welcome to AW and welcome to W1S1! :welcome:

Submitting something is a big step, but it's also a big accomplishment. So once you send the story off, make sure to reward yourself! :)

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
I had kind of given myself this challenge a couple of weeks ago, but then had some things happen which threw things into absolute chaos.

So, I'm modifying it. Going forward, my goal is to write an average of one story every two weeks. I figure that works out to 20 short stories.

This should be pretty easy to manage since I can bang out about 10,000 words per week without any issue, and can actually do about 20,000 per week if I'm in the groove.

Maybe one of these will actually sell? :D

Nancy.K.Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new around here but love this idea. Since it's not too far into the year and because I just submitted a short story to a contest I'm going to join you a little late with the goal of w1s1 every two months. My issue isn't around not writing... when I'm in the habit I'm in it and despite a crazy job and teenager I am pretty good about writing. My problem is a ridiculous fear of rejection - need to start submitting and learning from it. Thanks for having a place to kick me in the pants! I need that.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW and W1S1, Nancy! :welcome:

We'll give you as many kicks as you need :) As many hugs as you need, too, and whatever else. We're a pretty good bunch, if i may say so myself :D

kick_zpsc1b0a0f8.gif
+ :Hug2: + :snoopy:

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Welcome Tamlyn -- They let me hang out here even though I didn't quite fit the program at first.

Best to all with your projects.

Goals: Keep at least 5 stories out.
Finish the Gothic novel in progress -- 2nd draft by end of February, third draft in March.
Continue 2nd episode of Vampire Madam.

Nancy.K.Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW and W1S1, Nancy! :welcome:

We'll give you as many kicks as you need :) As many hugs as you need, too, and whatever else. We're a pretty good bunch, if i may say so myself :D

kick_zpsc1b0a0f8.gif
+ :Hug2: + :snoopy:

Thanks! So, I'm not sure if we check in when we do things, I have to read through more of the thread. I wrote and submitted a short story in Jan/Feb so I need to write/submit something by April. If I make it to round two of the short story contest I'm in that will be easy. If I don't I need to find something to write. I'm not sure if anyone uses "The Writers Book Of Matches" but it is brilliant. Great prompts and lots of suggestions for different ways to use them.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently doing my new version of "Mourning Becomes Me", version 1.0 of which (written January 2013) was underdeveloped and underwritten even at 9300 words. I'm now just under 5000 words. When I got to 3000, I checked and found that I was at the same point in the story that was 1000 words into the first version. So if this is going to triple in length, I'm facing a novella of close on 28,000 words. Yikes!

Otherwise pantsed two scenes of a story but i'm not really sure where to go from there.

Last edited:

Alienmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to put forward my 2014 goals and get them out there:

• To submit 1 new short every month for the first 6 months and then keep them in the submission ether.
  • To polish off 2 manuscripts and get query packets ready to send out to my top 10 list of agents.

Good luck to everyone with they goals. :hooray:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to W1S1, Alienmermaid! :welcome:

Those look like some fun goals :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
A submission, my story "Cold" to Black Static, via their online submission portal, yesterday. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, my from-scratch redraft of "Mourning Becomes Me", the 9300-worder I wrote for the AW Solstice Swap last year, is now officially a novella as it sails past 17500 words. I think it will top out somewhere around 40k, which will make it either a long novella or a very short novel.

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry I'm late to the party. :partyguy:

My aims for 2014 are:
  • To write, edit, polish and submit one short story a month
  • To get through two drafts of my MG book

I'm being extreeeemely reasonable with myself so that there's a chance I might actually achieve my goals. I'm looking forward to it though :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It's never too late to join the W1S1 party, Pamplemousse! :welcome: Welcome along!