The Eldritch Tomb of Unknowable Caffeine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I am kind of tempted to do something similar but I have a feeling that I should try to eat something at least somewhat healthy sort of.

ALL HAIL THE CARROT STICKS!

I compromised and ate the fruit with my lunch instead of the sandwich.

Wow, a mere 2 pages...this is the first time I've been around to witness the regeneration into a new thread (does it only get 13 lives, or has it been granted a magical reset like our Doctor?). :rulez

We had a beautiful weekend of snow in Colorado - not the nasty icy windy kind, but big, puffy, sparkly flakes :). Also, yesterday. And apparently tomorrow. :e2woo:

Hur hur, a refreshed Cantina is a magical experience. Like snow! Fresh, shiny, and unbesmirched. :tongue

Oh totally. Just rounding things out. You got protein, dairy, grain (assuming you mean a sandwich and not grilled ham steaks and cheese like a cheese platter.) Add a salad, and you've got almost the whole food pyramid.

I eat grilled ham steaks and cheese platters by the dozen. Then I reroute the fat.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
-2 with a windchill of -20. It's supposed to get up to a balmy 9 degrees, though.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
WhoooHoooo! The Cantina is back

Welcome all new people! Just be careful if you step outside. I don't know if the Raptors are penned up yet.

Congrats on the graduation Max.

Eye, hope your mom has a happy birthday.

Went home early yesterday as the weather was getting bad. Staying home today as roads are still slick and it is still snowing/raining. Much to do. Currently proofreading an anthology and then I HAVE GOT to get this SS/SFF/SS??? thing straightened out. Currently my story is rambling which means I've lost the plot. If anyone finds it let me know.
Oh and I'll need a beta... any volunteers for this weekend or early next week?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of new here but I have a question. Do you guys ever talk about writing?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm kind of new here but I have a question. Do you guys ever talk about writing?

Rhy-ting? What is this wry-ting?

Yeah, sometimes, when someone needs to gripe or wants to celebrate or we get into a conversation about it. The Cantina's primarily for chilling out and talking about anything, including writing. Just talk about whatever you want, and others will join in. :)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
-2 with a windchill of -20. It's supposed to get up to a balmy 9 degrees, though.

I won't say what the temp is here out of respect for your northern latitude. :D

That is a superpower everyone should have. Also a meal. Ham steak + good cheese + french bread + fresh fruit = :heart:

Now if only I could get that superpower to work on me IRL! :tongue

I haz potato bread. Makes goooood grilled cheese. I used the last of my Gouda yesterday, so standard cheese it is. *wants some Brie*

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay.

I just have no idea how to get any confidence in my writing. Which is probably how I've been a member for 7 years and am still not published.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I won't say what the temp is here out of respect for your northern latitude. :D

Now if only I could get that superpower to work on me IRL! :tongue

I haz potato bread. Makes goooood grilled cheese. I used the last of my Gouda yesterday, so standard cheese it is. *wants some Brie*

omg as soon as I'm better I'm making Mr. Maxwell do this dinner again. Last time we had Asiago. Good, but strong.

Okay.

I just have no idea how to get any confidence in my writing. Which is probably how I've been a member for 7 years and am still not published.

:Hug2: Well, if you need support, you've come to a good place. We're good at that at least. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for how to get confidence. We're our own worst critics. It helps me a lot to have a writing buddy I can bounce things off of. She usually tells me whether she likes the bits and pieces I throw at her, and her positive responses help with thinking I'm maybe doing all right. Do you have anyone you trust to show your work to?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

[Koolaid Man Voice] Oh, yeah! [/Koolaid Man Voice]

Also, we talk a lot about food, fyi.

I have this little block of raw sharp white cheddar that is tangy and delicious. I think it's going to be so delicious on these homemade sliders I want to make on oat rolls with grilled onions.

Okay.

I kind of feel like this. I am nervous about how my SSSFFSS is going to be received once I turn it in. I mostly have decided to write for me and there's no pressure. But I also don't write as much as I want right now because I'm raising young humans and I work, so they suck a lot of my time, but I do what I can and I think, "This makes me happy." and I go forth and write strong, confident words.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Well, if you need support, you've come to a good place. We're good at that at least. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for how to get confidence. We're our own worst critics. It helps me a lot to have a writing buddy I can bounce things off of. She usually tells me whether she likes the bits and pieces I throw at her, and her positive responses help with thinking I'm maybe doing all right. Do you have anyone you trust to show your work to?

...Not really... no :Shrug:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score

Oh yes. You'll find we do it a lot, but atm we're like jumping puppies because New Thread. We'll calm down by this evening when everyone's found their way back in. :D

:eek: Can you teach me how to do that?

Pretty please, with flaming gnomes on top?!?!

Step 1: REDACTED.
Step 2: eat everything
Step 3: loosen grip on reality

Rinse and repeat. Avvie'll be looking like Pam Anderson in no time. :D

Rhy-ting? What is this wry-ting?

Yeah, sometimes, when someone needs to gripe or wants to celebrate or we get into a conversation about it. The Cantina's primarily for chilling out and talking about anything, including writing. Just talk about whatever you want, and others will join in. :)

^^This.

Okay.

It's something everyone who doesn't have Golden Word Syndrome struggles with, IMO. The trick is to realize how much more exacting you're being with yourself and realize that you've read published books that are worse than your own.

Not joking. Every time I get really down in the dumps, I pick up my MS, pick up something someone was paid for, and I look. Even if it's something as silly as being excited they have a bunch of comma splices and I don't have any, it reminds me that everyone makes mistakes, everyone is nervous, and everyone has some strength another person lacks. My dialogue sucks. But my battle scenes are good. So I read a book with the reverse, and it makes me a little less harsh on myself.

Also, I can already tell your grasp of grammar is fine. As long as the mechanics are solid, it's just polish, polish, polish.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score

Yes we talk about writing on occasion. ;)

Okay.

Sometimes it takes a while to get published. The main thing is to keep trying. Keep improving your work.

A great place to post is over at the SYW (Show your work). You get good but sometimes harsh critiques. Read over some of the other stories and the comments before you post yours so you won't get blindsided.

also, if you don't already, volunteer for slush positions for some small press organizations. Believe it or not, it will really help your writing.

And good luck. Feel free to ask questions here. There's always someone around to give an opinion.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes we talk about writing on occasion. ;)

Sometimes it takes a while to get published. The main thing is to keep trying. Keep improving your work.

A great place to post is over at the SYW (Show your work). You get good but sometimes harsh critiques. Read over some of the other stories and the comments before you post yours so you won't get blindsided.

also, if you don't already, volunteer for slush positions for some small press organizations. Believe it or not, it will really help your writing.

And good luck. Feel free to ask questions here. There's always someone around to give an opinion.

SYW terrifies me.

Slush positions? That sounds interesting. How does one get into that?

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
SYW terrifies me.

I felt the same way when I first joined. Took me a little while to work up the nerve to go in there. I was thankful when I did though. I wanted harsh criticism and I wasn't disappointed. It was all very helpful, showed me some of the flaws in my writing, and allowed me to improve. Give it time and it won't seem so terrifying. :)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I first joined. Took me a little while to work up the nerve to go in there. I was thankful when I did though. I wanted harsh criticism and I wasn't disappointed. It was all very helpful, showed me some of the flaws in my writing, and allowed me to improve. Give it time and it won't seem so terrifying. :)

I haven't just joined, though :(

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
SYW terrifies me.

Slush positions? That sounds interesting. How does one get into that?

You don't have to jump in cold. As I said go in and read some critiques first. You will find that some people critique more harshly than others but, it all to help the writer improve. This really is no worse than rejections from publishers because these are the things publishers are going to look for in stories.

As to slush positions, I keep my fingers on many publications so when I hear of slush positions open I post here and on FB and Twitter. I can't always remember who wants to know so I just send it out broadly.

Yep yep

I haven't just joined, though :(

You'll be fine. Just go read at first. They really aren't going to bite. ;)

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
I know, I saw your date before I posted that. I was just saying that's how it was for me. SYW folks will pretty much tell you how it is, which I don't consider a bad thing. Some can seem harsh, but I think they're just giving their best advice to help people out. :)

I roamed into the Poetry area of SYW a few times. That place scares the living daylights outta me.

Status
Not open for further replies.