Interesting article on worldbuilding

What kind of builder are you?

• Total voters

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I write the other way around. For me, the world should fit the story.

This. As a reader, I DO NOT want to see all manner of "world-building" presented up front, for the purpose of framing a story. Let your story present the necessaries of your world, as events unfold and characters interact.

Do all the "world-building" you want to do, as a writer, in order to get the conception of your story together. Me, the reader, I don't need to see that. Or want to.

caw

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This. As a reader, I DO NOT want to see all manner of "world-building" presented up front, for the purpose of framing a story. Let your story present the necessaries of your world, as events unfold and characters interact.

Do all the "world-building" you want to do, as a writer, in order to get the conception of your story together. Me, the reader, I don't need to see that. Or want to.

caw

I'll agree with this. While I like to see a well-constructed world, I don't want to see a bunch of infodumps. A good writer can show the world through the plot and characters as they interact with the setting.

I like to read fantasy and science fiction because I find the speculative elements introduce new types of conflict that I find interesting. When the author starts infodumping, I often start skimming.

Kaidonni

Registered
Reaction score
It's more entertaining to be a gardner. Everything will surprise and be creative. Architects have strict guidelines that makes it a bit harder for a story to grow.

A mix of being a gardener and an architect is the most entertaining for me. I currently have a project that relies heavily on the worldbuilding portion due to the fact it's meant to explore how a specific culture and religion might develop, and traditional fantasy tropes and clichés simply won't do it for this one. In fact, there's not really any specific story yet since that wasn't my original goal (I was actually just conlanging), but I'm hoping that at some point I can pinpoint a time and place suitable for a story to take place within the culture.

Then there's another story I have in mind that merely requires research into shows like Life After People and what would happen if Humans were no longer around (in sufficient numbers) to maintain the buildings, vehicles, et al that typify the modern world. I can be as ambiguous as I want (and I intend to be).

To me, it all depends on the intent of the project, and flexibility is crucial. The first project I mentioned above I'd never just start writing due to what I specifically want to do with it (it does involve non-White mythological beings and potentially a non-White culture, so I really can't just fudge it), while the second one benefits from a less specific world (so keeping in mind what would happen should Humans largely disappear, I can write whatever I please).

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
It's more entertaining to be a gardner. Everything will surprise and be creative. Architects have strict guidelines that makes it a bit harder for a story to grow.
Erm, I think you'll find most of us have are perfectly willing to adapt and change the outline to meet the demands of the story. Outlines are organic, not straightjackets that bind us to early decisions. And I would say that it's the mind of the writer that controls the creativity, not the way we get it done.

I'm glad you caught this.

I'm an outliner/architect and haven't found my way of getting story/world building done to adhere to any strict anything nor has my story been stifled and unable to grow to meet my needs.

I find it quite entertaining to be an architect, and I still find many surprises and opportunities to be creative.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
In my trilogy elves are extinct, killed off by another group. If I create a full history for them and it doesn't make it into my story other then saying the evles died out that's perfectly fine. The history of the elves is for me as the writer, not for the general audience. Same with anything else I think up during world building that may not make it into my trilogy. Am I going over board? :Shrug: But it's fun! :tongue

Last edited: