• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The McCarthy Agency

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a request for a partial as well. Kristoff, did she specify and particular format during your dealings (i.e. cover page for MS partial, double-space for synopsis, etc)?

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a request for a partial as well. Kristoff, did she specify and particular format during your dealings (i.e. cover page for MS partial, double-space for synopsis, etc)?

Sorry I missed this.

No specific format was specified, nope. I just did the standard double spaced 12pt Times new Roman thang :)

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
Any new info or experiences regarding this agency? I noted that her Publisher's Marketplace page still lists Nahvae Frost as a new agent, but according to this thread, that was several years ago. So apparently it hasn't been updated.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Any new info or experiences regarding this agency? I noted that her Publisher's Marketplace page still lists Nahvae Frost as a new agent, but according to this thread, that was several years ago. So apparently it hasn't been updated.

I agree; does anyone have updated news on this agency?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I got a very quick turn-around (I sent the query last night) request for a partial from Ms. McCarthy.

PeggyAnn

Registered
Reaction score
My experience with Shawna McCarthy

I sent an e-mail query to her yesterday afternoon. This morning, I received a request for a partial. What I noticed on Querytracker stats is that her rejection rate is high on partials and fulls. Also, she's not listed any longer on AAR's website. Not sure what that means, but she does have some good clients and looks like she has plenty of experience in the publishing industry. I'm not impressed that she asks for hard copy submissions (wastes paper, cost money to mail, and is not expedient) and she does not have a website. In this day and age, I expect both. But...on the other hand, if what she does works for her, that's fine. My only real concern is that she does seem to be doing a lot of other things other than agenting, and my experience is that when an agent is also a writer, editor, teacher, etc., etc., they really are not as focused on their agenting as they need to be. But, maybe she's a great juggler, who knows? At this juncture, I'm just blowing wind anyway. She hasn't even received my partial yet! I can worry about the other stuff if she offers rep.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted my query via email and she requested the partial, and later the full, via email as well. She's been very responsive for me.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the McCarthy Agency is still open? Have you queried lately?

It's not on Publisher's Marketplace, and like everyone else I didn't find a website -- but I've found there are still a few agents who just prefer paper subs with an SASE :) So I was wondering if she's still taking submissions.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
My contact with her was a year ago. A partial request, which I later nudged on and received a belated rejection for. (She said she thought she'd already mailed a response, but if so, I never got it.)

I see a report on Querytracker of a full request last August (2013) so unless something has changed drastically, I would guess she's still in the business.

Also, she does accept queries via email and several of the folks on QT reported emailing their partials/fulls. So, maybe she's moving away from the snail-mail stuff.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
My contact with her was a year ago. A partial request, which I later nudged on and received a belated rejection for. (She said she thought she'd already mailed a response, but if so, I never got it.)

I see a report on Querytracker of a full request last August (2013) so unless something has changed drastically, I would guess she's still in the business.

Also, she does accept queries via email and several of the folks on QT reported emailing their partials/fulls. So, maybe she's moving away from the snail-mail stuff.

I just checked out her page here, http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=509 Wow, aol.com! That surprised me. I always forget AOL is still around. Wonder why her publishers marketplace page is no longer around.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Means nothing. Some older agents still have emails through AOL. Mine does, and she's quite active in the market.

That's what I keep hearing. It still startles me though. I used to have a hotmail account from something like 1996 and now I can't even recall the username. I've just been using gmail for too long.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a request for a partial from her. I'm excited. And scared.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
I'm scared because I have a row of books edited by her on my wall, and had I put two and two together I may never have approached her. Still, it's something to even get this far in the process with an agent, and I'm trying to let my excitement master my fear.

Author CJ Black

My Skin Is Thick enough, thank you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorcjblack.com
I'm scared because I have a row of books edited by her on my wall, and had I put two and two together I may never have approached her. Still, it's something to even get this far in the process with an agent, and I'm trying to let my excitement master my fear.

Hi StarWombat,

If you don't mind my asking how are things going with your submission? I ask because I've been -- well maybe not considering submitting my work to her agency -- but every so often I have a look and wonder if I should. Also when you say you have books edited by her, were they not edited well? Have a fab weekend and thanks!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Anyone got a link to a website for her or information on how to query. Looks like her most recent sale on publisher's marketplace was 2013. Anyone have information about anything more recent?

KAMielke

I'm clever, really.
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Shawna McCarthy on September 15th with just the query letter. On the 16th she asked for the first ten pages, and on the 26th she asked for the first three chapters and the synopsis. Both requests for more, she told me to let her know if I get other offers, which seems like a good sign (or I could be reading too far into standard procedure.) Has anyone else had any recent dealings with Ms. McCarthy?

Edit: Rejected on November 3rd. Aw well.

Last edited: