Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started Christmas shopping on the clearance rack, online-style. But at least half the times I've begun the ordering process, some item is not the price it shows on its page. Pisses me off, and I cancel the whole order.

I read the paper every morning, and since the latest operating system update, the app crashes. Unlike Kohl's, when I emailed expressing annoyance and concern, I got a swift reply which was well written, apologized for inconvenience, gave a brief summary of the paper's actions, and an anticipated date by which it should be resolved. How is it businesses like that are flailing and poorly run are thriving?

Maryn, ain't nothin' fair in this world

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
*wave*

This is me, terminally bored at work and wishing I had something awesome to talk about.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since it's fallen to me to keep the home fires burning...

I'm an idiot. It's official, at last! I went to writing group, but apparently I have the date wrong. So I read for a bit, enjoyed coffee and a bagel, and left when this man was way too loud on one phone conversation after another. Had it been business or ordinary personal calls, I might have written a note for his attention asking him to please speak more quietly, but he was apparently calling siblings about their mother, who was not taking her meds and was careless about where she left her burning cigarette, and was it time to put her in an assisted living facility, and who was going to tell her? He didn't need the added stress, so I left. As I was driving out of the lot, I saw him leaving. Damn it, I could have stayed.

Anyway, I next went to Tuesday Morning, where I did a little more holiday shopping. The Kid admired a sweater-thing--a hybrid poncho?--I have, which I got there, and today they had the same thing again. I also bought both girls pinking shears.

Finally, I stopped for bread.

And now, here I am at home, quite nicely dressed and made up, and for what?

Maryn, pouting adorably

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's gorgeous out! I wrote on the deck by the water garden for half an hour. Now I'm grilling burgers for supper.

I'm wringing every moment out of this weather before the endless winter hits.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Hi y'all. I'm peeking out of the revision cave in which I am entrenched. I won't get to do much for the next couple of days due to a packed schedule. But I am making slow but steady progress.

And I wrote a speech for a politician tonight. This is not a skill I knew I possessed.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, joy. My day began with finding we had not washed the parts of the coffee maker which must be washed daily, not merely rinsed, since we got a grind-the-beans model. Then I got an email from Kid Two, keeping us informed of what's going on with her transition. She intends to begin hormone therapy, which has known physical and psychological risk factors, and would we like to pay several hundred a year for sperm storage in case she's ever with a partner who wants babies?

That's a lot to have on my plate before I have coffee, you know?

Maryn, who now has coffee

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
(((Maryn))) I hope the coffee was strong.

Haven't been in here for a while, but Purgatory sounds like a good place for the procrastinating. I'm sitting outside, and it's gorgeous. A last little taste of summer.

My sister and I have gone to the drive-in for the past three weekends. They can't afford to upgrade to digital, so they're showing old movies on 35mm and it's the best. The Breakfast Club, The Big Lebowski, Jaws ... most of them movies I've never seen on the big screen. (OK, I did see The Breakfast Club right when it came out, 'cause I'm old. I was the exact right age for it, too.)

I should be working on my Super Secret Adult WIP, or my Official YA WIP With Market Potential, but it's sooooo niiiiiice oooout. OK, back to it!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but if you were exactly the right age to see The Breakfast Club on the big screen, you're not old.

Whew, huh?

I'm writing a play which is going well, but here on page 25 is where I'm abruptly flailing, not sure how to get to where it needs to go.

Maryn, inexperienced playwright

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
There's probably a web site for it.

Also , for those with older kiddos... Do they EVER learn to actually wash the dishes? Mine has to rewash at least half of every batch because she does such a half ass job.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn's the same way. Sure, he does dishes since he retired, but getting them clean seems to be entirely my purview.

I'm writing a G-rated play rather than erotica. (Who, me?) I subbed my most recent hot novel and am now thinking about the ethics of time travel rather than Tab A and Slot B.

Mr. Maryn and I are trying to figure out places we can go walking where there's no construction (the Erie Canal Towpath has been a mess near here for two years) and not in the country, where people are hunting, legally and not. Just yesterday a man was shot and killed by a guy in his own hunting party, in a field only 1000 feet from houses, which is completely illegal.

We went to a show last night. My ears are only ringing a little now, but man, that guy can play slide guitar.

Maryn, who had good seats

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but if you were exactly the right age to see The Breakfast Club on the big screen, you're not old.

Middle-aged for a person, old for a YA writer. (My agent and editor are probably at least 15 years younger than me.) :) But hey, Katherine Paterson's still writing, I think, so age is just a number.

My sister called me in tears last night because a predator killed both her backyard chickens, which she's been treating like her babies, feeding organic greens to, etc. It's sad, but from what I've heard about chicken turnover, not exactly unexpected.

Still, not everybody's mentally prepared to find carnage in the backyard. :cry:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just today in the paper, the state-by-state roundup had someone somewhere--I can't remember--find his or her coop was missing five chickens and several ducks. The black bear was visible in the woods, gorging itself on a chicken. Omnivores indeed.

Animals which live outdoors, even in enclosures, face risks from predators doing what nature designed them to do. I feel bad for your sister nevertheless.

Maryn, soon to visit the pastel chickens* at the pumpkin farm

*Apparently various berries or food additives can be safely added to the feed of white chickens whose feathers eventually take on the color, like how flamingos get pink from shrimp

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
A part of me wants to know if Maryn's pastel chickens taste like Peeps.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I want to taste the pastel chickens, as well. :)

My sister has an enclosure, but she was a little too late putting them in. It wasn't quite dusk, and she didn't like locking them up early because it upset them. In short, she treated them like pets. I fuss enough over my indoor cats; no way I could deal with "pets" that could get snatched and eaten at any moment. I'm tempted to tell her not to get any more, because each casualty will hit her so hard, but I dunno.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I desperately want to reply to posts in this thread but my brain is too fried right now. I hope everyone is doing okay. I have been so horribly busy with school that I have barely been able to spend more than ten minutes on AW in the last couple weeks. Whenever I get downtime I am like Mmmmm Nap...zzzzz

The GRA position is paid yes! I'm very excited for my meagre check I should be getting in about a week I think. It's sort of nice and relaxing hanging out in a laboratory all by myself, other than sitting next to a big metal box that says things like "radioactive materials, do not open".

I keep noticing typos in news articles and it is REALLY REALLY starting to bug me. Like, do these people hire editors anymore? Wtf?

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I keep noticing typos in news articles and it is REALLY REALLY starting to bug me. Like, do these people hire editors anymore? Wtf?

Hee. I edit a newspaper, and my boss is always bringing in examples of typos from the competing paper to gloat over them. They're owned by a huge company that is cutting costs and outsourcing right now, which involved firing a few copy editors. We are small and local, so we don't even have copy editors, just a couple of editors like me, who do both content and line edits, and proofreaders. We try to be meticulous, but sometimes I still find a mistake in the print version and it just KILLS me.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
2 mile walk last night, 2 mile walk this morning. I'm gonna get back to this whole exercise thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.