Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_Faerie

Type, Read, Delete, Think...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
I'm sorry, but I'm going on a bit of a rant. It may not make complete sense, but I'm going a little bonkers tonight and need to vent.

I've been querying with my novel since about March or April, after hiring an editor to go over it (to fantastic effect, I might add. I think it helped a lot). I've sent out 15 queries so far, with 11 rejections and 4 still out there. The closest I've come is my friend's agent requested a full, read it, and then rejected me (I've tweaked the MS since then based on her comments).

The thing that bothers me most during this whole process has to be the form letters. I understand why they do it, I really do, I get they're busy, I don't begrudge them that. But I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. I can't use them to improve, there isn't any information I can use for that. I don't even fully know why I'm being rejected. Is my letter bad? Does my MS reek? Is it just that they personally didn't like it, and there isn't anything technically wrong with it? I can't ask them and find out. I can post stuff here to be critted, and I have a lot over the years, but at the end of the day there's a lot of subjectivity to this sort of thing.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just throw in the towel and self-pub if these 4 queries don't pan out. But then I won't be able to reach the amount of people I've always dreamed of. Far-fetched as it may be, my dream is to be big. J.K Rowling, Stephenie Meyer big. "New York Times Bestselling Author Angel_Faerie". A movie deal. And honestly, I think I could do it. I have the tenacity and drive to make it happen, hell or high water. All I need is an agent to get my foot in the door, and I'll kick it off its hinges and burst in. But the problem is that so far the door is still locked and only seems to budge a little when I try to open it myself. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere and it's really bothering me. I feel stuck and it's driving me insane. I want to move forward! I want progress! :rant:

*Ahem* Sorry again. Thank you for indulging my insanity.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Firstly, hugs. Querying is hellish.

Now, straighten up, soldier. :) 15 queries is, honestly, nothing. I had many, many more rejections and non-responses than that. So don't despair.

Firstly - have you had your query letter shredded? Query letter hell hurt but it worked for me. And, as well as the edit, have you had the opening critted?

Critiquecircles.org do a thread called The Hook where reviewers stop reading where they lost interest and tell you briefly why. It's hellish but it threw up food for thought for me, and identified the hooky start.

Non-responses might be an indication of quality issues or you might have had a run of bad luck. You may also have gone with top tier agents at first.

Either way:stop, breathe, review. And then, if you can bear it, sub again. If not review your options and what you want, and then decide.

Slides slice of cake across.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
General wisdom that I have heard is that if you aren't getting any requests, the issue is likely with your query. So, you might want, as Springs2 suggested, to have people look at that.

Also, 15 queries really is a drop in the bucket. I've heard of people querying 50 - 100 before getting that one all-important yes. Keep your head up. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sympathy for the frustration.

Onto some stats.

185 queries.
No response at all: about 140 of those.
One agent.
Timeline: two years.
Book number: 2, because my first book, rewritten five times, is still trunked.
There are people here on AW who sent out 200+ queries. It's a long game.

Certainly SP if you choose, but 15 queries is a small sample size.

I recommend chocolate. Really good chocolate.

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
Firstly, hugs. Querying is hellish.

Now, straighten up, soldier. :) 15 queries is, honestly, nothing. I had many, many more rejections and non-responses than that. So don't despair.

Firstly - have you had your query letter shredded? Query letter hell hurt but it worked for me. And, as well as the edit, have you had the opening critted?

Critiquecircles.org do a thread called The Hook where reviewers stop reading where they lost interest and tell you briefly why. It's hellish but it threw up food for thought for me, and identified the hooky start.

Non-responses might be an indication of quality issues or you might have had a run of bad luck. You may also have gone with top tier agents at first.

Either way:stop, breathe, review. And then, if you can bear it, sub again. If not review your options and what you want, and then decide.

Slides slice of cake across.

I have had my letter shredded on here several times. I've gone through at least 10 incarnations of the beastly thing. I was actually trying to see if it needed more work a couple weeks ago, but the thread just stopped dead. No one's responded since my last post. It's the same thread I'd been using this whole time.

I did go with top-tier agents to start with. I looked up who represents my favorite authors, ones that write similar material, and started there. Now I'm just attacking the search option on QueryTracker.com, going for any agent that seems to rep stuff in the same vein as my work. I've only had a couple just flat-out not respond, but for the most part I'm getting form letters in response. Mostly nice in tone, which I appreciate, but it still stings.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Angel - this isn't specifically directed at you. You just raised a point I've seen before about form responses.

The thing to bear in mind is that agents and publishing houses are totally different from teachers and educators. It's not their job to help you become a better writer, it really isn't - that would be presumptuous of them. Their job is to find a book they can connect with and try to sell it. They might give feedback on ways to improve that book once they've found it - but that's a totally different thing. If agents or publishers don't give your query feedback, it doesn't mean you suck or your writing sucks or the book sucks - it's just that giving feedback is honestly not their job.

If there are problems with your writing or your query letter, SYW is a good place to start.

:Hug2: because frustration is such a lousy feeling

ETA: Just to say I'm mostly making this point because some people hate getting form responses and some people absolutely hate not getting any word back at all.

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Hugs. And chocolate.

Here's my agent-getting story. She's a top-tier agent for sure. And the short version is it took me five manuscripts and 290 queries (with 47 full requests in there) to get her.

If you're as driven as you say, yes shred your query letter, but also? Write your next manuscript. This one may not be the one.

Can you link to your QLH query thread here?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently querying my third MS. For my first, I sent out about 150 queries and got maybe 10 partial and full requests total. I went through two R&Rs with one agent before the agent ultimately stepped aside. For my second, I sent out about 125 queries and got 3 full requests. THREE. One turned into an R&R that I did but didn't send in because I felt better about my new MS. For the third MS which I'm querying now, I'm at about 100 queries and 5 partial and full requests so far.

Why am I bringing this up? Because out of this, I've learned that you cannot read too much into form rejections. You can't control the market, what an agent is looking for, what an agent is already representing, whether an agent had enough coffee before combing through slush, whether the internet will eat your query and you will never hear back... You can control the quality of your work. If your query and your MS have been critiqued, then all you can do is keep querying and start working on something new.

There are many good reasons to self-publish, but form rejections isn't one.

This is a very tough business. 15 queries is a very low number. Mutive's fabulous statistics exercise might help put it in perspective. Keep at it and don't let form rejections get you down.

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
General wisdom that I have heard is that if you aren't getting any requests, the issue is likely with your query. So, you might want, as Springs2 suggested, to have people look at that.

Also, 15 queries really is a drop in the bucket. I've heard of people querying 50 - 100 before getting that one all-important yes. Keep your head up. :)

Angel - this isn't specifically directed at you. You just raised a point I've seen before about form responses.

The thing to bear in mind is that agents and publishing houses are totally different from teachers and educators. It's not their job to help you become a better writer, it really isn't - that would be presumptuous of them. Their job is to find a book they can connect with and try to sell it. They might give feedback on ways to improve that book once they've found it - but that's a totally different thing. If agents or publishers don't give your query feedback, it doesn't mean you suck or your writing sucks or the book sucks - it's just that giving feedback is honestly not their job.

If there are problems with your writing or your query letter, SYW is a good place to start.

:Hug2: because frustration is such a lousy feeling

ETA: Just to say I'm mostly making this point because some people hate getting form responses and some people absolutely hate not getting any word back at all.

I know it isn't their job, it'd just make life easier for writers and lead to much better work being sent out. I know it'd be insane to ask that of all the agents out there, so I never would. It's just something I wish could happen.

Hugs. And chocolate.

Here's my agent-getting story. She's a top-tier agent for sure. And the short version is it took me five manuscripts and 290 queries (with 47 full requests in there) to get her.

If you're as driven as you say, yes shred your query letter, but also? Write your next manuscript. This one may not be the one.

I really think this is the one. It's just this gut feeling I have. I've written a couple other novels before this and discarded them, but this one has just struck me in a way the others didn't. I've been told by a few writing friends and others (even around here on AW) that it has potential, so I know I'm not a totally delusional loon in that respect. :tongue

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9038294#post9038294
Here's a link to my QLH thread. I've been sending out something a little different than the last draft I have in there, but it's close enough that if any of you want to give your thoughts, it won't be difficult to adapt.

Last edited:

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Just a suggestion -- have you tried any pitch/query contests?

Here's a few of the awesome writers who graciously host these contests. Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, Pitch Wars, Mystery Agent contests, Baker's Dozen, etc *really* can be great for getting feedback on what works and what doesn't in a query and opening pages. Not all of these offer personalized feedback to all entrants, but I learned a lot from the ones that I did.

http://www.brenda-drake.com/
http://michelle4laughs.blogspot.com/
http://operationawesome6.blogspot.com/
http://scwrite.blogspot.com/
http://www.misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com/

Also, a couple times a year, some agents (Suzie Townsend and Peter Knapp, I believe? Maybe some others?) do "Can you handle the truth?"/honest feedback opportunities, which are a great chance to figure out if it's the query itself, the sample pages, or the subject matter/genre/plot that just aren't working for the market.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You replied to posts of Lady Chipmunk, mccardey, JoyMC, and Springs2; but not to those of mayqueen, Calla Lily, and WendyN. Something to consider.

G'luck.

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
You replied to posts of Lady Chipmunk, mccardey, JoyMC, and Springs2; but not to those of mayqueen, Calla Lily, and WendyN. Something to consider.

G'luck.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! This thread got a little busy so it was a little difficult to keep track. I'll fix that now :)

Sympathy for the frustration.

Onto some stats.

185 queries.
No response at all: about 140 of those.
One agent.
Timeline: two years.
Book number: 2, because my first book, rewritten five times, is still trunked.
There are people here on AW who sent out 200+ queries. It's a long game.

Certainly SP if you choose, but 15 queries is a small sample size.

I recommend chocolate. Really good chocolate.

That helped a lot. I really appreciate you putting things in perspective like that. Probably wasn't easy to give out the numbers. Kudos!

Just a suggestion -- have you tried any pitch/query contests?

Here's a few of the awesome writers who graciously host these contests. Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, Pitch Wars, Mystery Agent contests, Baker's Dozen, etc *really* can be great for getting feedback on what works and what doesn't in a query and opening pages. Not all of these offer personalized feedback to all entrants, but I learned a lot from the ones that I did.

http://www.brenda-drake.com/
http://michelle4laughs.blogspot.com/
http://operationawesome6.blogspot.com/
http://scwrite.blogspot.com/
http://www.misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com/

Also, a couple times a year, some agents (Suzie Townsend and Peter Knapp, I believe? Maybe some others?) do "Can you handle the truth?"/honest feedback opportunities, which are a great chance to figure out if it's the query itself, the sample pages, or the subject matter/genre/plot that just aren't working for the market.

I've never tried any contests or anything because I never really hear about any. I've heard of NaNoWriMo, but there's no way I'd be able to write a novel in a month. This book took 5-6 years and counting! :D

Romangoblets

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I'm going on a bit of a rant. It may not make complete sense, but I'm going a little bonkers tonight and need to vent.

I've been querying with my novel since about March or April, after hiring an editor to go over it (to fantastic effect, I might add. I think it helped a lot). I've sent out 15 queries so far, with 11 rejections and 4 still out there. The closest I've come is my friend's agent requested a full, read it, and then rejected me (I've tweaked the MS since then based on her comments).

The thing that bothers me most during this whole process has to be the form letters. I understand why they do it, I really do, I get they're busy, I don't begrudge them that. But I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. I can't use them to improve, there isn't any information I can use for that. I don't even fully know why I'm being rejected. Is my letter bad? Does my MS reek? Is it just that they personally didn't like it, and there isn't anything technically wrong with it? I can't ask them and find out. I can post stuff here to be critted, and I have a lot over the years, but at the end of the day there's a lot of subjectivity to this sort of thing.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just throw in the towel and self-pub if these 4 queries don't pan out. But then I won't be able to reach the amount of people I've always dreamed of. Far-fetched as it may be, my dream is to be big. J.K Rowling, Stephenie Meyer big. "New York Times Bestselling Author Angel_Faerie". A movie deal. And honestly, I think I could do it. I have the tenacity and drive to make it happen, hell or high water. All I need is an agent to get my foot in the door, and I'll kick it off its hinges and burst in. But the problem is that so far the door is still locked and only seems to budge a little when I try to open it myself. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere and it's really bothering me. I feel stuck and it's driving me insane. I want to move forward! I want progress! :rant:

*Ahem* Sorry again. Thank you for indulging my insanity.

Hugs to you! I think if you set JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer as your goal, you're going to be miserable. Write for the love of writing. Make the money you need to survive by doing something you like during the day but that doesn't drain you so you can write at night, etc. If your novel makes it big, great, but, those odds are 1 in many thousands, if not millions.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I know it isn't their job, it'd just make life easier for writers and lead to much better work being sent out. I know it'd be insane to ask that of all the agents out there, so I never would. It's just something I wish could happen.

I get that. I've seen this from both sides. I'm not an agent, but I am a book reviewer, so a lot of people send me their self-published books — sometimes just manuscripts! — and ask me for feedback. I even once had someone send me a hand-typed ms. from an out-of-state prison, who knows why.

I would love to give these people honest feedback, but I can't. I don't even get paid for the time I spend reading trade-published books to review them. I'm a full-time editor who happens to review books on the side, mostly as a labor of love. So I point those writers toward AW (or a local workshop) instead. :)

Not to mention the cases where I can't give honest feedback 'cause they'd be really, really hurt and angry.

I've been on the other side, querying, and I agree that getting a form letter or no response is incredibly frustrating. When I got a form rejection on a book within a few hours of sending the query, I thought for sure the book was headed for the trunk. It felt like an insult, like they were volleying my pathetic query right back at me.

But it looks less like an insult and more like a survival strategy when you start considering just how busy agents (and/or their assistants) really are. Sure, looking at queries is part of their job, just like looking at books for review is part of mine. But it's far, far, far from the whole job.

I'm guessing that anyone who reads queries has to struggle not to let queries take over their life. And that means sending form rejections (or nothing) to plenty of perfectly competent, even skilled writers whose work just isn't what they're looking to sell right now. Writers sometimes take feedback as an invitation to dialogue, and that's a dialogue for which agents (and reviewers) generally have no time. Giving good, useful feedback is very time consuming.

That's why places where people are willing to give that kind of frank feedback — for free — are invaluable. I would try one of those agent contests for brutally honest feedback about the current market, then try an online or in-person critique group to find out how to make your book stand out and leap whatever market hurdles it may face.

But it's worth repeating: 15 queries is nothing. The book in my sig I queried 26 times, and even that I'd consider very few. The one before that went out 75 times before it found representation.

Last edited:

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
208 queries sent over 1 year
10 requests (5 Fulls, 5 Partials)
1 agent

Those are my stats. It was a soul-destroying time for me, but the Rejection thread, my writer friends, and my own bullheadedness helped get me through. I'm glad I didn't quit after 15 tries. I don't think you should, either.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Have you written another novel? Fifteen is an extremely low number, but if you're getting all forms, something is wrong with your query letter.

I'm not big of query critics, especially on writer's forums. My experience is that the best of them just make your query read like other queries, which means it reads the same way all eight hundred other query letters the agent reads each week sound.

A great query has to be one only you can write. It has to show and not tell, just like your novel. It has to be as vibrant and as exciting as your novel. Query letter critiques kill all these things. Be bold. Write a query like the one everyone keeps telling you not to write.

And I hope you're sending along the first three to five pages of your manuscript with every query.

The main things is not to get frustrated and stoop, not to get frustrated and self-publish. Self-publishing won't make your novel any better, if it's bad, and will only hard chances of every selling it to many people, if it's good.

And write another novel. And then another. And then another. Long before all possible agents and publishers have been explored for this novel, you should have at least two more ready to go.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Janet Reid posted a link today to a post in Brevity Magazine's blog that, I think, goes straight to the heart of your frustration, A_F. It's worth a look, although you have to be prepared to have your frustrations confirmed in a stark way. But if you read all the way to the bottom, I believe, based on some things you mention in your first post, you will also find words to help you stand tall and carry on.

DISINFORMATION

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
Hugs to you! I think if you set JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer as your goal, you're going to be miserable. Write for the love of writing. Make the money you need to survive by doing something you like during the day but that doesn't drain you so you can write at night, etc. If your novel makes it big, great, but, those odds are 1 in many thousands, if not millions.

Well, it's that I have such a strong believe in this story. I just have this feeling deep down that this book could make it that far.

I get that. I've seen this from both sides. I'm not an agent, but I am a book reviewer, so a lot of people send me their self-published books — sometimes just manuscripts! — and ask me for feedback. I even once had someone send me a hand-typed ms. from an out-of-state prison, who knows why.

I would love to give these people honest feedback, but I can't. I don't even get paid for the time I spend reading trade-published books to review them. I'm a full-time editor who happens to review books on the side, mostly as a labor of love. So I point those writers toward AW (or a local workshop) instead. :)

Not to mention the cases where I can't give honest feedback 'cause they'd be really, really hurt and angry.

I've been on the other side, querying, and I agree that getting a form letter or no response is incredibly frustrating. When I got a form rejection on a book within a few hours of sending the query, I thought for sure the book was headed for the trunk. It felt like an insult, like they were volleying my pathetic query right back at me.

But it looks less like an insult and more like a survival strategy when you start considering just how busy agents (and/or their assistants) really are. Sure, looking at queries is part of their job, just like looking at books for review is part of mine. But it's far, far, far from the whole job.

I'm guessing that anyone who reads queries has to struggle not to let queries take over their life. And that means sending form rejections (or nothing) to plenty of perfectly competent, even skilled writers whose work just isn't what they're looking to sell right now. Writers sometimes take feedback as an invitation to dialogue, and that's a dialogue for which agents (and reviewers) generally have no time. Giving good, useful feedback is very time consuming.

That's why places where people are willing to give that kind of frank feedback — for free — are invaluable. I would try one of those agent contests for brutally honest feedback about the current market, then try an online or in-person critique group to find out how to make your book stand out and leap whatever market hurdles it may face.

But it's worth repeating: 15 queries is nothing. The book in my sig I queried 26 times, and even that I'd consider very few. The one before that went out 75 times before it found representation.

Thank you! It really helps to hear it from the other side (at least, sort of on the other side) :tongue

For pitch contests start following Brenda Drake on Twitter and that will cover quite a few of them. :)

Thanks! I'll look into that

208 queries sent over 1 year
10 requests (5 Fulls, 5 Partials)
1 agent

Those are my stats. It was a soul-destroying time for me, but the Rejection thread, my writer friends, and my own bullheadedness helped get me through. I'm glad I didn't quit after 15 tries. I don't think you should, either.

That means a lot! I'm glad you made it, congrats! It gives me hope that I can too.:D

Have you written another novel? Fifteen is an extremely low number, but if you're getting all forms, something is wrong with your query letter.

I'm not big of query critics, especially on writer's forums. My experience is that the best of them just make your query read like other queries, which means it reads the same way all eight hundred other query letters the agent reads each week sound.

A great query has to be one only you can write. It has to show and not tell, just like your novel. It has to be as vibrant and as exciting as your novel. Query letter critiques kill all these things. Be bold. Write a query like the one everyone keeps telling you not to write.

And I hope you're sending along the first three to five pages of your manuscript with every query.

The main things is not to get frustrated and stoop, not to get frustrated and self-publish. Self-publishing won't make your novel any better, if it's bad, and will only hard chances of every selling it to many people, if it's good.

And write another novel. And then another. And then another. Long before all possible agents and publishers have been explored for this novel, you should have at least two more ready to go.

I have written another novel prior to this, two, in fact. I figure it's my query letter, if I'm honest. I can't seem to write one to save my life. I'm not really sure why, either. I'm just really struggling with it.

Janet Reid posted a link today to a post in Brevity Magazine's blog that, I think, goes straight to the heart of your frustration, A_F. It's worth a look, although you have to be prepared to have your frustrations confirmed in a stark way. But if you read all the way to the bottom, I believe, based on some things you mention in your first post, you will also find words to help you stand tall and carry on.

DISINFORMATION

That was a great post! It not only put things in perspective, but it didn't totally annihilate my hopes and dreams! :)

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
I've been rejected only twice and I quit my novel after that (for 7 years!). I am reworking it and realizing I just submitted it to the wrong agents, it wasn't right for them. So it's like that for you too (except you didn't give up for 7 years).

If you are really considering self pubbing, I think you need to work to grow a fan base before your novel is even out. Start a blog and start posting your work. I really suggest tumblr because it's easy to follow people on there and there is a rich writing community. Many of the writers do follow back.

BUT I don't think you should stop submitting at 15 queries. Maybe like 100 or 50 but not 15.

Romangoblets

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's that I have such a strong believe in this story. I just have this feeling deep down that this book could make it that far.

I hear you. I wouldn't be surprised if every writer truly believes their novel could make it that far. It's just that setting your expectations that high is tantamount to setting yourself up for failure. Write because you love to write and you have something to say. If you go on to have a best seller, then that's icing on the cake. But don't make it the cake.

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
I've been rejected only twice and I quit my novel after that (for 7 years!). I am reworking it and realizing I just submitted it to the wrong agents, it wasn't right for them. So it's like that for you too (except you didn't give up for 7 years).

If you are really considering self pubbing, I think you need to work to grow a fan base before your novel is even out. Start a blog and start posting your work. I really suggest tumblr because it's easy to follow people on there and there is a rich writing community. Many of the writers do follow back.

BUT I don't think you should stop submitting at 15 queries. Maybe like 100 or 50 but not 15.

Thank you for the advice! I'll keep it in mind. Also, congrats on getting back in the game! :)

I hear you. I wouldn't be surprised if every writer truly believes their novel could make it that far. It's just that setting your expectations that high is tantamount to setting yourself up for failure. Write because you love to write and you have something to say. If you go on to have a best seller, then that's icing on the cake. But don't make it the cake.

I do love to write (been writing stories since I first picked up a pencil), and have something to say. That's just the amount of success I'm hoping for, and the amount of faith I have in this work. It's not indicative of where my priorities fully lie, don't worry.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs. And chocolate.

This and this and this. I amassed 281 queries before agent. Why you want an agent: It only took him six tries to get a publisher. :D

You have to believe in your MS, because, yes, there is a point of too-diminished-returns on feedback. You have to believe in it enough to send out a set number of queries every week until you run out of places to send. Then you watch for new agents to appear....

And, as you may already be doing, the next book. Always the next book. There's no better salve for rejection than new work underway, and that you're working on the next book impresses prospective agents with your career-mindedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.