Is this a form rejection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this part of AW searching for an answer, but I think I just want a direct opinion.

I got a very nice rejection for a partial from an AWESOME agency. I will say while my dreams were crushed, I was also thrilled to have feedback from them. That is also why I'm analyzing the rejection to pieces.

Most of it sounded like a form rejection except for the first part. They said my manuscript was "smooth and polished," but it didn't really grab them.

This is my first round of queries (ever), and I'd like to think an agent wouldn't give false compliments just to let me down easy. I'm very early in the stages of querying, so I'd like to know it's not my writing that's the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody can say for sure, but it's a pretty safe bet that if they didn't include specifics about your manuscript it's a form.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
It could also be a sorta-kinda form reject. Like, they have a form but they insert a detail or two.

Hey, it could be worse, you could have gotten a form reject on a full! (Like I did. :()

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If they don't give specific criticism, it's form. Most forms have one "compliment" or another attached. By and large, when it really is a personal, you don't have to ask, you know.

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha, thanks James. I'll use that rule from now on.

And thanks everyone else! I'm taking the news pretty well, considering. Although that could be the couple of adult beverages I've had. Woot! This is the best way to celebrate rejections!!

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
"Smooth and polished" does sound a bit generic. Very possibly a form. (These types of forms irk me a bit, actually, because I feel rejections should be truthful, and I know dang well that not everything in the slush pile is "smooth and polished.")

Hey, it could be worse, you could have gotten a form reject on a full! (Like I did. :()

Worse? I'll take a full rejection over a query rejection any day of the week, form or not. It means someone liked my work enough to ask for the full to begin with.

Last edited:

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
I vote form with a few details. "Didn't grab me" sounds a bit generic, but I don't think many agencies would call a MS smooth and polished if it wasn't (since a lot of MSs they get most likely aren't!).

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds at least a bit personalized to me, too. :)

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
According to what I've been reading on Twitter, etc. a few agents do what they call 'nice rejects' or 'encouraging passes' which aren't personalised and are still form r's, but genuinely mean 'just not for me' rather than 'what are you thinking even querying this drivel'.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My rule is that if a letter doesn't contain a SPECIFIC reference to the work, such as "I loved the way Jojo rescued the baby angwantibo," it's form.

Worrying about whether you've gotten a form R or a personal one really isn't helpful. No remains no unless mitigated by an unambiguous statement that the agent or editor would read a revised version of the MS. Very rarely you might also get specific advice. If the advice makes sense to you, take it. Otherwise, on to the next submission.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If the letter doesn't contain any useful advice addressing specific things about your manuscript, it doesn't matter if it's "form" or not. It just means "No."

caw

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued advice! I've only sent out ten queries, so I'm still very green.

I've decided not to worry about the rejection, and move on to the other partial I sent out (and of course working on my other book).

Status
Not open for further replies.