a blurb for book 2 - should it involve a bit of book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I've got a continuation (sequel-type) or a series on my hands, but I'm working on blurbs just for fun to get me out of a writer's block moment (and I can't outline for the life of me). It started as me just trying to figure out my plot since I'm a "pantser," and got a bit stuck.

So, my blurb for book 2 has a briefing of book 1 in it. I'm thinking it shouldn't. Thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
If it's part of a series, I would mention the other book, but not necessarily give a lot of space to it. If it follows the same characters, you might do something like:

After their rocky courtship tagging sea bats off the Costa Rican coast (BATSHIP CRAZY), Robin and Taylor thought they were finally on a smooth sail to the land of happily-ever-after. Then, Robin's old flame shows up...(blurb about new book).​

Or if it follows different characters and only shares a world/premise with the first book, you might give the blurb about the plot then add a line at the end: TOTALLY NEW BOOK is the second in the WHATEVER SERIES.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I've read a book out of order in a similar scenario, and was a bit peeved that it wasn't until after I read it that I found out it was the second book. It was written as a stand-alone, so there were brief pieces of the first book weaved into it. However, it would have been nice to know that before I read it. I found out about it online, but can't remember if it was in GoodReads or the writer's website.

My book 2 is the sub-plot characters in the first book, and they take center stage in the second.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.