JanNoWriMo 2013

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
"Over 100" is a HUGE understatement, Cliff. :roll: My height would be closer to the height of the first book on the stack of that badge (I'm 4' 9", so it's not hard to be shorter than the stack). :tongue I love it, bd. :D

I went straight back to bed after getting offline. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, it's way too hot to do anything today. I just want to stand under a cold shower for 6 hours. I know I really should be editing, but damn... Way too hot to concentrate.

Might watch a DVD and see if I feel a bit more alert later. Even though I'm behind schedule already... Ack!

Oh, this morning I did make a few notes for my shiny new idea, TLC.

*crawls into the freezer*

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
It was only 23F outside here this morning, Cliff (haven't checked since then, but it's still cold!), so I'll trade you. :tongue

~Amber~

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Busy place this month!

My January goals....

- First and foremost, finish editing The Continuum. I've heard from one of my two Dec beta readers, but I think I have enough to go off of to do another major edit already. I already know I need to change one of the characters and fix one of those pesky little sci-fi continuity issues. I want it to be ready to go to round two of beta readers by Feb 1 so that then while they're reading through I can get started on writing some rough drafts of query letters.

- Secondly, I had been wanting to write a Classics Redux short story for this steampunk anthology contest. I have what I think (hope?) is a good idea, but I'm having trouble getting it on the page. My pacing seems way off, and I fear I'm revealing too much too early. If I don't get more time to work on it this weekend, I don't know that I'm going to have time to edit and get it ready to submit before the 15th.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I put the air conditioner on, and it's still kind of hot inside. I don't normally like having the AC on, because it costs a lot of money, but damn, I was getting nothing done. It was too hot to even watch a DVD or read!

Going to try to force my way through chapter 6 of WIP#2. I looked at it, and it's 4 pages, compared to the 6 pages of chapter 5, so hopefully it won't take as long.

ETA: Halfway through editing chapter 6. So sick of editing... After this, I think I'll have to do some outlining for one of my other WIPs. Maybe TLC, which is closer to being outlined than the epic fantasy. This way, I may have something there that I can write fresh words for when I'm sick of editing. :)

ETA2: Finished editing chapter 6. Lost about 300 words... Now I think I'll do something else.

Last edited:

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done any writing today. I do have dinner on the stove however. Since it's cold, I made potato soup from scratch. :D

Now if I could somehow magically get it to cook faster...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, it's getting towards dinner time here. Not sure what I'll have, but I am hungry.

So, aside from editing (and melting) I've watched 3 episodes of House (final season, which I didn't see on TV!) and stuffed about with my computers. I only just realised that my laptop is actually somewhat of a better machine than my desktop... Despite the upgrades to my desktop.

*shrug*

Going to try to plot some of TLC soon, but I think dinner will be first.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
It's pretty warm here today. Not above 0°C yet, but not too far away. Hopefully it'll stay that way for a while *knocks on wood*

And weather is more interesting than any progress I (haven't) made :tongue I'm still trying to catch up on chores I let slip over the holidays. Not fun, but at least it's progress of a sort.

"Over 100" is a HUGE understatement, Cliff. :roll: My height would be closer to the height of the first book on the stack of that badge (I'm 4' 9", so it's not hard to be shorter than the stack).

You've earned it a couple of times over, I think :D

EmseePlum

oi! oi! oi!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i tried nanowrimo for the first time this year, final word count - 5 :)

i've been saying 'janowrimo' in my head all week and have been writing every day, yesterday 1k words in a few hours. i should have known by now that i am not one of those people heh

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
Doubled my word goal so far today, and ended on such a good note (kisses!) that I'm honestly afraid to try to write anymore even though I've got two hours left.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
You've earned it a couple of times over, I think :D

I don't even wanna know how many times I've earned it. :tongue

I have most of the syllabi for my classes for next term, and I'm excited. :D What I think is really nice is my assignments are all spaced out -- I'm still waiting for my syllabi for my English class and a one credit honors class, but so far I don't have a single instance where I have two assignments due on the same day. I have a couple days where I have a quiz or test and an assignment due the same day, but other than that it looks pretty good. :)

I'm already studying and classes don't even start for another three days... >.> Too early is better than too late. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I just spent 2 hours in a hot garage, sorting things out with mum. The garage is so full, she can barely get her car in. It's now marginally better... But damn, I need a shower now.

Once she has the money (and inclination) to close in the outdoor area, I can move a bunch of my stuff out of the garage and out there. Basically, there's a verandah already, but there's no walls (apart from the fence on one side) to close it in and make a room. So mum's planning on putting some sturdy material stuff there, not bricks or anything though, and then just have a sliding door so we can still get to the back yard.

Until then, roughly 1/4 of the garage clutter is mine. A drum kit, a keyboard and stand, and my old guitar and amp, a box of paperwork, a cabinet with books in it, and a chest of drawers that mum's pretty much claimed as her own now. (Oh, and my 2 bookcases, which will remain in the garage.)

A lot of that will go out in the outdoor room when it's finished. Of course, if I hit it big with these 2 novels I'm trying to self-e-publish, I can buy my own house and not have to worry. :D

Meanwhile, WIP#2... The current chapter is way long. I'm sort of dreading doing it... I'm certain there are some shorter chapters coming up, but damn... Some pretty big chapters early on.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read the next chapter, and I can't figure out how to fix it. It's got some plot problems that I know are problems, but the solutions are eluding me.

Maybe I need to sleep on it.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing to say, I just wanted to post something at 6am because I'm awake... Never went to sleep... >.> Don't mind me... Don't think I've ever posted this early...

~Amber~

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing to say, I just wanted to post something at 6am because I'm awake... Never went to sleep... >.> Don't mind me... Don't think I've ever posted this early...

~Amber~

It's 8:00 a.m where I am. I've been up all night. I'm currently watching a White Collar marathon. I'm always up at this time. :D

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
You're one hour ahead of me. :tongue My sleeping patterns have been WAY off (as in I fall asleep around 5 am and wake up around 3 pm...), and since I have school on Monday and actually have to wake up at a decent hour (>.<), boyfriend suggested I stay up all night last night so I can fall asleep at the desired hour tonight with relative ease. Usually I'm biting people's heads off at this time of day, but even my morning person mom looks more tired than I do today. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't stayed up all night in years. I kind of miss it, but not enough to force myself to stay awake.

Actually, the main reason I haven't stayed awake all night lately is because I know I'll wind up smoking too many cigarettes, which I can't afford.

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't stayed up all night in years. I kind of miss it, but not enough to force myself to stay awake.

Actually, the main reason I haven't stayed awake all night lately is because I know I'll wind up smoking too many cigarettes, which I can't afford.

It's not so hard. This past solstice when I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stay up, I got on Netflix and queued up Supernatural. XD Next thing I knew it was dawn but I was too busy crying over Destiel feels to notice. *cough*

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I took a nap from around noon until 3. Still feel tired, but I don't feel like I'm going to collapse on my keyboard now. :tongue

Also, the only caffeinated soda I could find in the fridge expired in November. >.> Oh well...

I've done about a weeks' worth of my linguistics class in the last two days. Classes haven't even started yet. I must really be bored if I'm doing THAT on the last few days of my break...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm completely stuck on a scene for WIP#2. I've made some notes on it, and am letting them percolate. Won't be getting much done today, though. Sis and grandparents are coming round soon.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished with the first editing pass on my Nano novel! :partyguy: :snoopy: :yessmiley

My January goals are simple.

1.) Finish editing Nano novel: Under the Table and Dreaming DONE!

2.) Finish novella: A Boy Named Alice

3.) Edit novella: A Boy Named Alice

4.) Have fun

Now I can set it aside and start on my second goal. :D

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

I... got nothing done. Family was here for 6 hours.

Hopefully I can start being more productive as of tomorrow. Mum goes back to work tomorrow, I think, which means I'll have fewer distractions during the week days. And I need the peace and quiet to get anything done! I've been amazingly UNproductive these past 2 weeks while she's been on holiday from work.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
I've submitted my write 1 sub 1 to the writers of the future contest this week. Spent a bit of time today getting my list of submissions updated to reflect all the responses etc.

Aim for next week: get much more work into submission. I've been slacking at that.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Prologue and first chapter edited in Ghostslayer. Should get started on second chapter hopefully tomorrow.

Nearly finished writing paper for uni. It's freaking huge. All right, maybe it's not, it's around 10k words, but since I had to write it in one month, it feels HUGE. Still have to go through references, doublecheck spelling, etc. but I'm so glad it's almost DONE.

I'm at 12k in my January project, The Unnaturals.

And that's it from me!