Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you OFG. I'm one of the lucky ones: high above the flood plain. At most, I'll be off work for a few days and have to replace my laptop, which is under water at the moment. Nothing on there that isn't duplicated at home, so it's not a big deal.

The rivers crested last night and are already starting to drop.

100,000 people relocated in Calgary, 13,000 in High River, and probably about the same for Black Diamond, Turner Valley and the other smaller towns around. 3 confirmed deaths, no reported injuries. Astonishing.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Prayers sent for all in flooding areas.

We just drove through NM and AZ; a lot of fires there, but most under control. Let's hope they stay that way.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Speaking of floods--and by NO means am I bitching--we have flash flood warnings this morning again. Strange but true-- western Kansas seems to be turning into a rain forest. In a month that usually is brown, brittle, dusty and raked by scorching winds we are surrounded by lush tropical greens and pools of rain water.

We haven't turned on the A/C for a week. I have not watered for weeks and weeks. August is usually in the triple digits, sunny and windy. Not this year. We are having nightly thunderstorms--strong ones. My kitchen roof sprung a leak through the repairs that were done this spring. This was just a trickle compared to the cascade in May, just enough to soak the cereal boxes again. Mushy Lucky Charms and Shredded Wheat--yuck. Going to talk to the nice folks at Kansas Mutual this morning about a second claim. We have one from last week in on the car insurance.

Last Saturday my daughter left for work at 5:30 a.m. in a foggy drizzle. A deer bolted out of a ditch--she swerved on wet highway 281 and rolled the car into a muddy field. She is okay thanks to the seat belt but the car is totaled. She called me from the field to come and get her--no traffic, no lights, just fog and rain. I got there before the sheriff and saw the wrecked car before I saw her: a mother's worst nightmare but it all turned out okay.

My tomatoes are splitting and rotting--bad thing. The goat heads are turning yellow and dying--good thing. My buffalo grass is still green and growing--by August buffalo grass is usually brown and brittle.
I'm not complaining, just saying it is strange weather--s6

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last Saturday my daughter left for work at 5:30 a.m. in a foggy drizzle. A deer bolted out of a ditch--she swerved on wet highway 281 and rolled the car into a muddy field. She is okay thanks to the seat belt but the car is totaled. She called me from the field to come and get her--no traffic, no lights, just fog and rain. I got there before the sheriff and saw the wrecked car before I saw her: a mother's worst nightmare but it all turned out okay.

So glad your daughter is okay except for a strong case of the shakes (and so glad she wore her seat belt and shoulder harness).

I left Montana, the land of killer flash floods, in '06. Oregon's Willamette Valley has fewer because of all the ancient deep channel creeks and rivers. We get flooding, but it's usually slower.

But do we ever have deer loving to cross our winding roadways in drizzle, fog, dawn's early light, and dusk. Though instant reactions are hard to suppress, divers' ed here teaches to apply brakes as well as possible and hit deer, et al, straight on. My girlfriend recently did so to a face full of airbag and an $800 repair bill.

Again, :ty: goodness your girl wasn't injured. :). There, but for the grace of God, go any of us.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Fortunately, that's not a heavily populated area. But prayers sent for the firefighters and those in the fire's path.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Fortunately, that's not a heavily populated area. But prayers sent for the firefighters and those in the fire's path.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

and the sequoias.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

True enough about the sequoias.

Prayers sent for the folks facing floods in Boulder (and wherever else).

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bad fires in NSW today - terrible winds.

As bad as it gets.

ETA: Cooee, are the reports right? Have they come back to your neighbourhood again for the third time this month? Stay safe, girl.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another awful day of smoke and helicopters. I have heard reports that (as I had guessed) my childhood house has burned down - which is sad because it was one of those beautiful old convict-built houses in Springwood/Faulconbridge.

Down here in the Southern Highlands it's all smoke and asthma meds :(

Cooeedownunder, how are you faring?

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sad to hear about your childhood home, mccardey.

Praying for cooeedownunder and anyone else in the smoke and fire zone, including the firefighters and the reporters.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of our AW friends in the Philippines. The news gets worse and worse.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend in Manila (who is herself safe) wrote in an email today that
the disaster is so huge and the initial shock is now turning to angst & anger as there is lack of food, medical supplies. Theres no electricity, no communications.

It is really hard to imagine, even seeing photos....

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Prayers sent to all without food or homes in the Philippines, for all who died, for all the injured, for the medical people, for those who will sort the bodies, for all still in the typhoon's path.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope everyone in the path of these tornadoes and storms today are staying safe. I am seeing some of the pictures now from IL, and holy crap. :(