Looking for authors with a similar voice to Douglas Adams, Pratchett or Hornby

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might try Robert Asprin's MythAdeventures series and Phule's Company series. Roger Zelazny's Amber series starts with a similar loose and lively voice, but it tends to run darker.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure about the "voice" but for humorous SF I really enjoyed Robert Sheckley's Mindswap.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
For humour, even if it's a bit heavy on the dick jokes, I recommend John Dies at the End and it's sequel This Book is Full of Spiders, Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.

A warning though, it is comedy/horror, and the horror parts get pretty horrific.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Eoin Colfer's works have a lot of wit in them; he was even tapped to write the sixth Hitchhiker book.

Scott Meyer, author of the Basic Instructions comics, has two books out, Off to Be the Wizard and its sequel Spell or High Water, about programmers who discover the data file for reality that gives them near-magical abilities (and who invariably run afoul of the law and have to flee into history to avoid prison, playing wizard to earn a living). I thought they had a sort of Douglas Adams Lite feel to them. If you like the tone of the comics, you should enjoy his fiction.

John Scalzi's got some sly humor in his works. So does Stephen Brust. And John Moore's skewerings of fantasy tropes are funny, if sometimes silly. Jim C. Hines can do some clever stuff, too.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Expecting Someone Taller and Holt is a bit wackier than I was hoping -- more Adams than Pratchett. I intend to explore Brust.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I just started Expecting Someone Taller and Holt is a bit wackier than I was hoping -- more Adams than Pratchett. I intend to explore Brust.

If Tom Holt is too wacky for you, don't take mirandashell's advice on Robert Rankin. :)
With Barry the talking sprout, or the evil sate-hen, he's a veritable perfect storm of wackiness. :D

Sc00t

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sns.ewrestle.net
Tom Holt & Robert Rankin sound like good fellas... I did download a Tom Holt book to my kindle, the Doughnut one mentioned above, so he's definitely made my list.

I'm about 80% done with "John Dies in the End" and lemme tell you, that's one awesome recommendation. Thanks very much.