AW Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The server is running slow.

I'm looking at it. It looks like it's a problem at the host though.

Deleted member 42

You will notice we're getting much better behavior now :D

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
In the last couple days I've had several times lasting hours each where I got an error saying, "Web page not available."

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Yup. There've been some up/down issues. The gerbils are being reprogrammed.

When in doubt? There's an AW Addicts group on Facebook that will (usually) keep you up to date on any problems.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I connected with AW for a few minutes this morning, then Firefox kept telling me all morning, and afternoon, too, that it could not connect with the server. So did Internet Explorer via Google.

It's now 7-30pm GMT and I just got straight through for some reason.

Very strange.

I was getting other sites okay.

I doubt we are alone- there seems to be a huge gap in the times for postings on the Basic Writing Questions and Novels Forums.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooops- my apologies, Aruna. Must be coincidence.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed I was having trouble before I went to bed last. Appears to be running just fine now...

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We've had two outages this week, one yesterday and one today.

Today's hit at about 2:00 am my time. I discovered it at about 3:30 AM my time.

Usually these would have lasted ten minutes or so, but Mac's on the road as she moves her parents from Eastern MT, and has less than reliable access to the Internet or cell, and I'm currently without electricity or water at home as the water company installs a new main.

So we've been dependent on the public libraries. Just remember that the next time the budget for your local library is an issue.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yup. There've been some up/down issues. The gerbils are being reprogrammed.

When in doubt? There's an AW Addicts group on Facebook that will (usually) keep you up to date on any problems.

What if you don't use Facebook?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I did go to Twitter and that's how I found out it was down.

How do you get into the chat room if AW is down?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You could get to know a techie geek like me who did DNS troubleshooting and saw a nameserver not responding. :)

Here's a better idea. Wait to hear from an official source who actually knows what the issue is rather than speculating about a symptom.

I appreciate that you intend to be helpful. I also appreciate that I've been dealing with this issue since I discovered it at about 3:30 am my time, and that I've been up since then, so I'm less patient than I might be and I'm very tired. That said:

It is less than helpful to have you speculating about what you think you know, because you don't know what other people will make of your speculation. You have no way of knowing what they will and won't understand, and what they'll do with your speculation.

So please, if you want to be helpful, consider re-tweeting the official tweets. Check out the Chat room.

I appreciate the people re-tweeting the messages on Twitter, and in general people's patience with this. It helps enormously.

But having just over 300 of you attempting to contact me via email (and likely even more emailing Mac who doesn't have regular access to her email because she's dealing with a family issue) to tell me the server is down, or asking when it will be up, doesn't help.

Neither does speculating about what's going on.

I usually know pretty quickly if the server isn't up because I get a phone call and text message from a service to tell me it's not up.

Please try to remember that if there's a problem with AW, I'm going to be working trying to fix it. I'm not going to be able to answer your email/FB messages etc. There's a reason we use FB and Twitter and let the mods know what's going on; it's more efficient.

Follow Twitter. Check Facebook. Log into Chat. Check with the mods, who receive (and did receive) regular updates.

Here are some links:

https://twitter.com/LisaSpangenberg

https://twitter.com/absolutewrite

https://www.facebook.com/groups/absolutewrite/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AbsoluteWrite/103771526334620

http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=Absolutewrite

But please let Mac and me work.

Best of all, work on your current WIP.

Also, it would be greatly appreciated if everyone would remember that AW isn't the only thing Mac or I have on our plates. Sometimes you're going to have to wait. Right now especially, with Mac being out of pocket, it's tricky. I can't drive, for instance, so when I'm not at home, it's going to mean having to walk somewhere that I can log in. And then I do like to sleep occasionally.

We'll get things back asap. I promise. And we do appreciate the amount of love AW members have for this place.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Here's a better idea. Wait to hear from an official source who actually knows what the issue is rather than speculating about a symptom.

I appreciate that you intend to be helpful. I also appreciate that I've been dealing with this issue since I discovered it at about 3:30 am my time, and that I've been up since then, so I'm less patient than I might be and I'm very tired.

That wasn't intended as a diagnosis. Sorry.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score

We do appreciate everything you do, honest. We don't mean to nag. We just miss the site when we can't get on it.

Sorry.

Have a great big hug for what you've done today.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry Miranda. I failed to remember that AW is configured to "hide" from such searches. So, that one won't do.

When I put absolutewrite.com/forums/ (my bookmark) into downforeveryone it just told me it looked down for them, too.

Just tried again and it says AW is up. So it seems to see it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.