FebNoWriMo!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
It is 10:20 pm here on January 31st, meaning it is now February for pretty much everyone except me (and everyone else on the west coast, of course), so I'm going to go ahead and get this started.

Welcome to February! This is a pretty cool month to make goals because it is the only month of the year that contains an even 4 weeks. If you want to spread your goals out evenly over the month, weekly goals would be a great way to do that!

On the other hand, February is also the shortest month. If you plan on writing 50k this month, it will be more of a challenge because you have 3 fewer days to do it in! Scary, huh? But you can do it! :D

Don't want to write 50k this month? No problem! You can make any goals you want! All are welcome. :) Do you want to write 1k per day? Per week? Maybe you have a giant editing project to get through. Or maybe you're like me and you just want to get through all of your midterms without passing out. :tongue

If there are any songwriters out there, February is also February Album Writing Month (FAWM). If you're up for the challenge of writing 14 songs in 28 days, you can do it! :) (website is at fawm.org)

Let's make this a good month, everyone! :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I completely forgot about FAWM! I'm not in a happy place, music-wise, so won't be participating in FAWM this year, so it doesn't matter so much that I forgot all about it. :tongue

Not making any official goals again this month. Taking things one day at a time. :)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Wow it's February... my Jan goals did not go as planned! I still have 11 of my 16 scenes to write, which means I did less than half of my goal. On the other hand, I did eight query revisions. That was not what I was expecting on that front at all.

Feb goals are to finish my remaining 11 scenes, and really dig into revision on my previous completed. Once I'm up to revisions, I'll tinker with my query in my spare time.

Have a good month everyone!

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
*waves*:hi:

Hi everyone, coming back this month. (if you'll have me:tongue) Would have been last but had some computer probs that meant I was without one for two weeks. (Was torture:scared:)

February goals

Have a completed second draft of the novel in my sig. Already been edited but needs a complete re write so, hoping to have it done by the end of the Month.

Edit one of my other Novels that’s been forgotten about for Months.

I do have other ones but leaving it as that for now, seeing as I haven’t done any mammoth writing for ages.:chair

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread, Vamp!

This was my stated January goal:

I'd like to finish the first draft of my NaNo novel in January, but with my schedule this month that's probably not going to happen. I'm guessing I have another 20,000 words to go.

I'm setting myself a modest goal of 2k words a week - whether it's on the NaNo novel or my other WIP. Prior to participating in NaNo this year, I'd never set myself a word count goal of any kind, so I'm going to see if this works for me or not. I'll keep you posted.
Somewhere (maybe on another January "goal" thread) I pledged to get 20 minutes of exercise a day and read more books in addition to writing 2k a week. Well, I didn't get the exercise to be a regular thing, but I did finish four books (Wave, Little Heathens, Homer & Langley and The Baron in the Trees) and started a fifth (The Worst Street in London).

As far as the writing went, writing 2k a week proved to be pretty easy. I actually wrote more than that. I finished my NaNo first draft, did an editing pass, did a second editing pass, formatted it and sent it out to betas. One beta has already finished it and had the same issue with the climax of the book that I did, so I see a rewrite in the near future (not a huge one, fortunately).

In January I bought myself Judy Reeves A Writer's Book of Days, which is a book of prompts (she urges handwriting them, so I bought a couple of cheap compo books to work in ). So, right now my February goals are:

1) Write a daily prompt using the Reeves book
2) Do necessary rewrites on the NaNo novel once I get more beta feedback
3) Start writing on the next book in my fantasy series, now that this "prequel" is out of my system.
4) Continue trying to work in some exercise during the day (I plan to move one of my resistance bands up to my office so I will have it right by my desk)
5) Continue reading. Once I finish Worst Street, I'm going to treat myself to some new Kindle books.

Of course, I am rapidly approaching tech for my next show, but I have even less to do in this one than I did in the last. Eh, it's a paycheck...

ETA: Oh, and I want to bake some bread. I bought myself a couche and a banneton in January and have yet to break them in. I got a great bread cookbook for Christmas and am dying to try out some of the recipes.

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome all! :D I have not decided on my goals for this month just yet. I haven't been feeling very well so I'm taking a sick day to enjoy myself a little bit. I should do that today, though, so I'm going to take a few minutes to think about that right now and then I'll post it!

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Goals for February:

*Finish my 4 important scholarship applications ON TIME
*Read at least 3 books
*Write at least 5k
*Complete 5 of my Day Zero goals
*Stay on top of school work/not die during my midterms
*Play video games

I’m trying to keep it a bit simple just because I don’t want to overwhelm myself during school, but I may add more to this later.

~Amber~

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Another month, more goals. :)

First, I'll try to catch up with all the stuff I have to do that rolled over from January. There's plenty of stuff there, not all writing-wise. January was crazy hectic because I had uni exams.

And as for February, here are my goals.

• Edit "Drowning in Fear" (Weirdville #4).
  • Work on writing gig I scored in January, and finish in time for the deadline.
  • Catch up with #AStoryAWeek (which means writing nine short stories by the end of February).
  • Editing aforementioned short stories.
  • Work on thesis for uni, and submit second draft by end of February.
  • Finish editing Soul Thief.
  • Write first draft for "The Clumsy Magician" (Weirdville #5).
  • Finish first draft of Gatekeeper (YA novella).
  • Edit Gatekeeper.
  • Work on The Witch's Soul (YA paranormal romance).
  • Write manuscript for a game.
So, that's it for me. Phew. Way too many goals. I'll see how many of them I can finish. Some are obligatory, so these will have priority, of course.

Apart from those writing goals, I'd also like to stay on top of work for uni, build on my freelancer website, and write reviews for my book review blog.

Busy, busy!

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I got a good start on my goals last month, so I'm continuing them this month. :)

1.)Finish a short story. I have around 3K left on this one.

2.) Rewrite the back half of my 2013 Nano novel

3.) Start another short story

4.) Have fun

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Yet another version of the query up in QLH. I had 14 versions in my doc, and seven more in my inbox draft. I don't know all of those overlap with versions in my QLH thread. A minimum of 21 queries have been written.

Why did I think this process was going to be reasonable?

Either way, still in build season with the girls I mentor, so likely no writing today (again). Good thing build season is only six weeks, it's cutting my noveling down to two mornings a week.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did my prompt today but that's about the extent of the writing I've accomplished. One of my betas set out to read my MS today; he's a fast reader and he likes to pepper me with questions and comments about every two chapters, so I've spent a lot of time responding to him. Overall he liked the book; he wants it to be longer.

I still have one beta left to hear from. Once I get some input from her, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and see about having someone who hasn't read the two other novels in the series beta for me, so I can see if this thing can genuinely stand as a "first" in the series. Arrrr.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! You all have great goals!

Mine are:
1. Find a real full time job instead of my part-time retail. (I've been looking for such a long time. Why is it so *hard*?!)
2. Practice more piano....maybe pick up my violin again?
3. Learn more about English monarchies- especially places so I can go visit them:)
4. Reach a goal of 10,000 for the month. A low, attainable goal. (hopefully)
5. Keep reading, working, exercising, etc.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread, Vamp!

ETA: Oh, and I want to bake some bread. I bought myself a couche and a banneton in January and have yet to break them in. I got a great bread cookbook for Christmas and am dying to try out some of the recipes.

mrsmig, this is probably the best goal I've ever heard of ;)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I have almost all my homework done for the week. :D Basically I have 16 pages of reading to do and then the rest of my week is studying for midterms. This is SO much better than last week...

Also, after feeding myself off of the same three meals for half a year (plus mom's cooking, of course -- this is only counting stuff I've made for myself ;)), I've finally learned how to cook something new. :D I've learned to make five new things since I made my Day Zero list (I don't make one of them very often just cuz it takes time and I don't like taking my time), which means I've completed 1/5 of that goal for this month. :) Now to pick which other ones I want to do...

~Amber~

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
There is a heap of snow on the ground, and I don't want to leave the house.

I've already missed my morning writing with my friend, thanks to snow-filled roads.

I've got almost a whole week off coming up - the first week of March. I'm trying to decide what would be the best way to make a dent in my book-work. A week devoted to revising my completed ms? maybe a week isn't enough time to have an impact...? The query for the other novel? I don't know...

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to have a week off sometime in the next fifteen weeks or so. :tongue Lucky you!

I just finished a book and I still have almost three hours of time to fill up before class. I'm debating between reading and looking for books to check out in the library for more papers (while I'm here...) Not that I need more reading material right now. >.>

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've achieved no goal-related things this week. At all.

Well, unless you count trying to find information about applying for an ITIN, so I can pay taxes in America if I self-e-pub something on Amazon... Still haven't got it completely sorted, but some progress has been made on that.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
You're ahead then, Cliff! You didn't make any goals for the month! Progress of any kind means you're ahead! :D

I spent most of the day in the libraries. I have ten books in my hands. What have I done. ._.

~Amber~

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same place as you, Cliff. I did finish The Worst Street in London but the only thing I've read since then is magazines and crap on the internet.

Having one of my semi-annual Crises of Confidence. This, combined with a session of Free-Floating Anxiety, has not been terribly conducive to creativity. :(

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to have a week off sometime in the next fifteen weeks or so. :tongue Lucky you!

Yes and no. My job wants all of my vacation for a year requested in December. I just pick weeks out of a hat, and hope there's something to do that week. My team has a robotics competition the end of the week I have off, but there shouldn't be too much to prep, so... writing? I guess?

Having one of my semi-annual Crises of Confidence. This, combined with a session of Free-Floating Anxiety, has not been terribly conducive to creativity. :(

That's awful :Hug2: hang in there!

ETA: I just finished the endless scene I'd been writing for days. 11 scenes to go - 6 until the Big Bad fight. Can we just kill him now?

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
MrsMig, I'm having a crisis of confidence too. The other night I read through some parts of my previous writing and decided that it was all a load of crap, more or less.

The novel I should be editing, DOW (in sig), has the *worst* opening I've ever read. The first-person narration sounds like a nature documentary, when really he should be in a blind panic. Ack!

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Goals:

Finish reading current book - halfway through, so no worries there.

Start reading another before Monday.

Next week: Begin editing. *beats head on table*

MAYBE have some decent improvements by the end of the month.

Get back into working out regularly.

March goals will be quite different.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After yesterday's Bad Day, felt a little bit more human today (a little retail therapy helped). Started Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Djinni, which I am enjoying thus far, even though she seems to introduce a new major character in every single chapter. Didn't do any writing beyond my usual prompt exercise, but I've decided not to obsess about it and give myself a break from any substantive writing until Sunday - unless, of course, I get twitchy and want to write. I think I've just been going hell bent for leather since NaNo started and now I feel all lost and at loose ends.

I remembered today that I was oddly depressed for a week or so after I finished my last MS (a year ago), so this gloom-and-doom sensation isn't really out of the ordinary.

Hope others' Crises of Confidence et al have eased as well.

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I lucked out, and the snow over here cut my school week in half. I have to take a postponed Japanese oral performance on Monday between a regularly scheduled midterm and a postponed midterm, but I get a four day weekend to study for everything. And to read. And to sleep. Mostly that last one.

The funny thing is Boyfriend and I were complaining about not having a day off of school just two nights ago, and we wanted to stay home these two particular days... Well, we got our wish.

~Amber~