Pirate Novels

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
Hey everyone,
I was just thinking about Pirates (watched the POTC movies) and I was wondering if there are any good Pirate novels? I know there's Treasure Island and I've read that one, but then the other ones I found were more aimed at younger audiences.

Is there a pirate novel or two out there that are more aimed at adults and more mature audiences? With a gritty storyline and the real essence of a dirty, scoundrel of a pirate?

Please and thank you for the recommendations!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Hey everyone,
I was just thinking about Pirates (watched the POTC movies) and I was wondering if there are any good Pirate novels? I know there's Treasure Island and I've read that one, but then the other ones I found were more aimed at younger audiences.

Is there a pirate novel or two out there that are more aimed at adults and more mature audiences? With a gritty storyline and the real essence of a dirty, scoundrel of a pirate?

Please and thank you for the recommendations!

On Stranger Tides - Tim Powers

( and Disney even eventually decided to give him some credit for the whole zombies / pirates / caribbean thing :) )

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It's an older YA title, but Pirate's Passage by William Gilkerson talks a great deal about pirates and piracy, without whitewashing. (It doesn't go too far into gory details, but it discusses how miserable the life often was, and how some of them were real monsters.)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I don't usually recommend my own books, but the one in my sig has some vicious pirates who come up with a few inventive ways of dealing with their enemies. Also, lots of naval battles. That being said, it's a fantasy romance, though the romance doesn't involve the pirates at all.

Leo Savage

Registered
Reaction score
As a teen i enjoyed reading the pirate novels from Emilio Salgari and Rafael Sabatini, but i think they are good for adults too.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The Island, by Peter Benchley (the author of Jaws), is a modern-day pirate story. I think it was published back in the early 1980s but I still haven't gotten around to reading it. So this post is only a tip, not a recommendation, matey!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Not to shill my own work too much--and not that I haven't already done it here--but my latest novel (see avi) does involve a bunch of futuristic alien pirates. There ain't a whole lot about the pirate life, but the story does feature a lot of action, some romance, and some comedy as well.

"Marauders" is an old-fashioned term, but I liked it better than "pirates".

As for books about pirates, The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard is a solid read. Under the Black Flag by Cordingly is also well written. Read them both a couple of years back and enjoyed them.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I like Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. It isn't nearly as good as his other works, but I liked it.