AugNoWriMo!

BreMiche

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bremiche.wordpress.com
Hit the nail on the head with my goals for June but I stunk horribly for July. Let's make August count:

Monthly goal
1. Finish plot tweaking for my novel
2. Launch portfolio site
3. Finish first art piece for said novel

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
92k since the beginning of July. I'm on the penultimate chapter of my novel now, which is just as well or I might cry. I would love to move straight into the next novel on my list once this is done, but my exhaustion is piling up. Zzz. Sleep now.

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I"m so happy to find this thread - it's often really hard finding support/accountability groups like this outside of Nanowrimo.

I've been working on this book for a while, but it's been on the backburner for a little bit since I've been co-writing screenplays with my best friend. Switching projects has re-kindled my creativity, so I'm picking up the momentum on my book again.

I want to write 20,000 words in August. I just just under a thousand now. I think having the progress in my sig will help me maintain my progress - I'm not the type who likes to look bad/fail in front of others.

I would love to help out anyone with plot holes, idea formation or whatever else! Discussing story concepts and idea options is a blast for me.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
7535 words.
0 blog posts.
0 books.

Coffee is on the table, now to feed the dogs, then off into writing land.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Keep up the good work, everyone!

Today's goals:

• Write two book reviews and one mini-review for my book review blog.
  • Add all reviews for July and August (so far) to Amazon, B&N, Netgalley and Goodreads.
  • Set up Writer Wednesday post on my blog.
  • Visit 10 other participants of Writer Wednesday and comment on their posts.
  • (Finally) get through those edits for "Soul Thief". I need to do about 50 pages.
  • Write 2k in Ghostslayer -> reach 14k words.
Edit: All that's left to do is write 2k in Ghostslayer. I'm exhausted, so I'm taking a short break first.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Early, early morning work day. Upside, after work, I will have writing hours.

Yesterday, I did just under 2k, so that was a fair chunk. The scene was good, but it felt vaguely out of place. I'm worried I've made a left at Albuquerque.... I'm still mostly on track, and in two scenes I get to introduce one of those characters I've been dreaming of since I started building the idea. I'll just focus on that, and leave the rest in the hands of revision.

Yay for all you folks making good progress! Keep at it. :hooray:

ETA: 800 words at work. Guess I got started early....

Last edited:

RiverCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I followed Mallory's cheerleading thread over here.

I'm working on a cozy mystery. I wrote the ending at about two weeks in, so now I know where the train is headed, I'm just working on getting there.

My goal is to finish Chapter 4 this week. I had a better shot at that before I realized it wasn't flowing at all and I scrapped almost all of it. I didn't do that until I'd realized what was wrong, so I do think (hope) it'll go easier the second time.

As for the month, I go back to work on Monday (I teach high school) so I know my writing will slow down once I'm back in my classroom. I just want to make sure it doesn't slow to a stop.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
August goals so far:

899 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)

Read about ten pages in The King's Grave last night; started skipping forward as I'm having trouble with the author's constant intrusion into the narrative. I mean, I know it's nonfiction and I know she was instrumental in finding Richard III's grave, but her constant "I...I...I" is getting on my nerves. Currently on Page 66.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
95k. So close to finishing. Just a few more days.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
pg 134/177 of the novel editing. I've pared off 5k or so words, and am starting to get a good handle on what I need to add to the beginning.

Also knocking around a couple of short story ideas, but nothing that's come to fruition yet.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited assignment 1 to a pretty good standard, and then did the reading for sociology for next week. I'd already read both books (1 per class) for creative writing for next week, so yay. All my reading is done for the week!

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Yesterday I wrapped up almost all my goals. I flunked out on writing 2k in "Ghostslayer", but then again I did spend more time on the editing than I expected.

Today's goals:

• Write two reviews and one mini-review on my blog.
  • Set up a starter day party and promo post on my book review blog.
  • Go through edits for Soul Thief chapters 23-27.
  • Go through edits for Soul Thief chapters 28-32.
  • Set up post on my blog about five movies featuring haunted dolls.
  • Work on the book trailer for The Doll Maker.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
August goals so far:

1,137 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)

Read about a dozen more pages in The King's Grave last night.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
I just finished my novel on Aug 5th so it's editing time.

That's my only goal for August right now - to edit it and not get too discouraged, which is already happening. There's a lot to edit and edit some more.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Great work on finishing your novel, morrighan. :)

I didn't do much yesterday, just worked on edits, and finished writing a post on my blog.

Today I'd like to:

• Finish edits for Soul Thief (three chapters left to go!)
  • Write a tutorial on my blog about how to create fantasy maps.
  • Set up a sell sheet for Valentina and the Haunted Mansion.
  • Revise chapter one Allegro Academy.
  • Write two reviews and one mini-review.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
95k. So close to finishing. Just a few more days.

Are you there yet?!?! (imagine a child whining "are we there yet" style)

I just finished my novel on Aug 5th so it's editing time.

That's my only goal for August right now - to edit it and not get too discouraged, which is already happening. There's a lot to edit and edit some more.

You've reached editing stages - A difficult stage denied to many. Good luck!

I broke 40K, and am trying to figure out the finer points of my ending. I'm introducing the Out Of This World Mister Jones next scene though :D Something to look forward to!

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
You guys are nice and busy!

Page 163/176 of editing (all that trimming is starting to show...) I have 2 (perhaps 3) readers lined up for once Draft 5 is done. This current one is Draft 4, but I know what I need to do at the beginning, which I'll save separately as Draft 5 because why not, I have the space for it! Not like I'm printing out acres of rainforest. Once I'm done editing this novel, I'll probably work on finishing my April CampNaNoWriMo novel. I've probably got 10k or so before the ending.

Started two new short stories this week, which may end up combined into one. They share similar elements involving beach memories.

Also, got a Thank You card from one of my writing group participants, and a Thank You email from another. It was my first time running a workshop, and it was a cool and rewarding experience!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently typing in the dark, because the lights have been switched off while one of mum's friends works on a faulty light fitting... Before this I was reading for Uni, but hey, no light means no reading, whereas I can still see the computer monitor.

And surprisingly, I'm typing more accurately in the dark than I normally do in full light!

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Not a great showing this week, maybe just 2k written and some editing, but the new outline I just wrote for main wip feels like the boost I need.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, hello! :)

My last full 9 to 5 work day was yesterday! I'm back to only working 10.5 hours a week now. :D It's a weird thing to be happy about, but the full working days have left me exhausted and it feels nice to have the last two months of my summer to do what I please. (It feels really weird knowing it's only half over for me and my little brother has less than a month left to go... :tongue)

I have been doing nothing of importance except reading. Anyone read Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay? It was referenced in a book I was reading for research for my comics studies class last term, and I'm absolutely loving it. It's like half comic book-related and half WWII drama. I'm really enjoying it.

Just found out the area's Pride Festival is today. I want to go, but it's nowhere near a convenient bus stop apparently and I don't want to get lost. :(

Going off shopping instead. I've been spending a lot of money on clothes this month. I guess I'm a little preoccupied with not wanting to be mistaken for a 12-year-old when I'm 20 as I so often am right now. I love all my T-shirts, but I hate how people treat me like I'm still just some little kid when I'm halfway through college, living on my own, and doing a lot better than many college students are for themselves...

Oh, hey, I turn 20 in a month. It feels really weird, especially considering I found AW when I was just 16. I feel old.

/young person whining about old age (everything makes me feel old)

~Amber~

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Are you there yet?!?! (imagine a child whining "are we there yet" style)

I've just about staggered to the end, so although the last chapters need some serious revising and expanding, I'm going to call my eighth novel a wrap at 112k - that's including a few chapters written before Camp Nano began.

*keels over*