Books too long

VeryFairy

I'm not a fairy.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I usually hang out in YA so it's my first time here :)

I have written a Picture book that I want to query, but it's 1700 words long. I have tried to edit it down but I really can't without butchering the story. Do you think it's worth it to query something so long? Or should I just give up on it for now?

Thanks
Jett

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is way too long for a typical PB. Some also have a classification for a "picture story book"--which is as much story as picture--but 1700 words is too long for that as well.

Could this be an "easy reader" instead?

Are you sure you can't edit it down to 1000 words? Have you let anyone else read the story and given their opinion?

VeryFairy

I'm not a fairy.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, others have read it, and they have not said I should take anything off. It's written as a very rounded story (if that makes sense) every word is there for a reason.
It's really not an easy reader, it's written more like a bedtime story.

I'm going to go back and be ruthless with it, perhaps I can get it down to a thousand if not I'll move on.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just be sure to save what you have now before chopping away. You might find a way to keep it as it is (and some stories just have to be a certain length and can't really be cut).

I'd be glad to take a look at it and offer an opinion if you'd like. I'm not a PB expert, but I have submitted a couple and have had to deal with word counts as well.

VeryFairy

I'm not a fairy.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you :)
Would I pm it? I'm a little scared as I love my book, but I know not everyone will feel the same.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can send it as a PM (formatting might screw up, but that's okay), or I'll give you my e-mail address, whichever you prefer.

I send my e-mail address.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Also consider posting it in SYW. I comment on everything there at least once.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read a lot of recently published picture books that are similar to yours? I ask because I see a lot of people who usually write novels write shorter stories and then think they would be good picture books.

But a picture book isn't merely a shorter story. There is a necessary interplay between the text and pictures that mean they are often light on dialogue, light on descriptive detail, etc.

So, I'd second posting it in SYW for some critique. But I'd also suggest taking a few hours and going to a good library or bookstore and reading a whole bunch of recently published picture books (and not character or licensed series -- but trade published picture books) to see what the language and story telling is like.

~suki