OctNoWriMo 2014!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have fewer words to report today than I did yesterday. I decided that I was right and most of what I wrote yesterday needs to go later in the MS, so I excised almost all of it and stowed it away in my "possibles" file. At least it's not junk and I can still use it, but I'm having to rewrite the scene in question. So...

Current WIP word count: 81,513 out of 90,000
Books read: 2 out of 4
Blog posts: 2 out of 2 (COMPLETED)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
15-page reading done. 16 down, 5 to go, 40 pages done today. It doesn't sound like much, really, but it was such *slow* going! I'm going to try to get some other stuff done today as well, but I think that's all for the literature review readings for today.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just read about 15 pages for creative nonfiction class. That was the extent of the week's readings, actually - but we also have stories to critique, which I'll have to do on the weekend.

Going to try to figure something out for this literature review, and then I'm calling it a night.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did 5 lots of critiques for my Creative Nonfiction class. They're all done now, until this time next week when we have the final load of crits to do.

Not sure what else I'll do today. There's plenty I could be doing, but I'd also like to relax a bit... Alas, we're really getting down to crunch time, so I'm not sure how much time I can afford to waste.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Still changing the one of the POVs in my book from first person present to third person past. So tedious. Only 1/3 of the book done thus far. Changing to past tense is easy, but I keep slipping back into first person.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Getting very little done lately. I spent most of the day today putting up Halloween decorations and doing yard work, so I'm hoping to make up for lost time tomorrow.

Current WIP word count: 81,791 out of 90,000

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So yesterday, after doing those critiques, I spent about 2 hours organising notes for a short paper for Life Writing.

This morning I wrote the first draft of that paper. And for the past 4 hours, I've been reading sociology stuff for next week's class, totaling about 45 pages. It seemed never-ending, but it's done now.

Anyway, it's nearly 4pm, and I'm supposed to be going out to dinner around 6pm, so I'm not sure what else I could squeeze in today. Really, the big thing left to do is condensing my copious notes for the literature review, but that'll probably take more than 1.5 hours, so... Yeah, maybe not today.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I might have finished my first edit. I did the last of my changes the other day, and yesterday I wrote the missing scene while waiting for my flight on my work trip.

I'm a little unsure the scene is what it needed to be or accomplished what I wanted it to, but it's better than there being no scene at all. I'm half afraid to read it over today and realize it's not at all what it was supposed to be.

First nano-planning write in today for my region. Hope they don't mind I've still got a nasty cough! I had to call the meet up sooner or later. Such a busy week...

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caught back up to my previous wordcount (the one before I excised stuff that needed to go later in the story), in spite of spending most of the day out doing stuff with the Hubster. I have to be at a rehearsal first thing in the morning for a special event later in the evening, so I'm toting my laptop along in the hopes that I'll get some writing done in my down time.

Current WIP word count: 82,372 out of 90,000

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Spent about 3 hours condensing copious quotes down to smaller amounts, for the literature review. I've done 13/16 articles' worth of condensing.

My original copious amounts totaled 21k, and I'm now at 6.5k. I'll likely hit about 8k when I've finished condensing, but that'll be sooooo much easier to deal with when I try to write the paper!

Anyway, I'm zonked, so that's all I'm doing today, I think. I'll try to finish the other 3 articles' worth of condensing tomorrow morning before I leave for class.

Oh, and I printed out an article to take to class tomorrow, as a bit of a discussion piece the lecturer wants to do. Normally I wouldn't, but it's from my literature review readings, so I'll need to refer to it as nobody else would've read it to be able to jog my memory. Plus, it's about methodology, so yeah...

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished writing one of my reviews. I have two other books finished that need to be reviewed.

I've hit a brick wall with my WIP. I'm done with revising, but it's no where near done. I wanted to finish before Nov 1st. It doesn't look possible now.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Don't give up, meowzbark! Keep on revising, and even if you don't make the Nov 1st date, progress is progress! :)

I'm wrapping up an editing project, and then I'll go back to the first draft for my chapter book. I also need to write a few more blog tours, and start prepping the book tour for my November release (which means, replying to interview questions and writing guest posts).

My NaNo project needs some prepping as well - I'd like to set up an outline before NaNo starts.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Plotting and outlining continues.

Meanwhile applied some beta edits to a short novella, worked on blog posts and updated website. 10 days to go!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a word written yesterday - too much time spent chatting with old friends. And I'm not sorry. ;) However, I did finish Philbrick's Away Off Shore.

Current WIP word count: 82,372 out of 90,000
Books read: 3 out of 4

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I've hit a brick wall with my WIP. I'm done with revising, but it's no where near done. I wanted to finish before Nov 1st. It doesn't look possible now.

What's to be done between the end of revising and done? More to write? More to rewrite? You have some time left, give it a go!

10 days to go!

Oh gosh, ten days. This is getting hectic.

I put the first scene of this summer's Camp Nano project up in SYW. I was very anxious, but people said some very nice things! I'm thrilled.

I'm also tempted to change my nano project. I have one roughly plotted, but the summer SNI has another stroy to be told in the world, and I have tons of notes for that one.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Finished condensing those notes. They now total 8.5k words or so, compared to 21k words before condensing. The paper I need to write is taking shape in my head, which is a good thing indeed. :)

That's probably all I'll get done today, as I have classes to go to. But yay - one more thing crossed off my list!

ETA: And I just found out I got an A for a short paper for Life Writing. Woo!

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't done any writing. Just haven't had the time. I don't even remember the last time I did any writing.

Wait, I think I may have snuck in some writing, but it's fuzzy, so don't quote me on that.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'm in. Though not with writing. I have

1 - to survive our holidays starting on saturday till about tuesday
2 - try to catch up on unfinished stuff due to being absent for six weeks
3 - edit my last years NaNo-Project. Trying to do this since June, but I seem not to be able to. 30 Chapters - will I be able to see one per day?
4 - prepare for November. I am not a big plotter, but I need to get some ideas about the new project or otherwise I might get stuck again instead of winning like last year.
5 - try to brush up my blogs - very neglected.

CU - once I have finished coping with my zoo.

So, where am I?
1 - check
2 - well, most of it, including some resorting stuff bc one of the boys wanted to exchange furniture
3 - No. I am far behind, no way to finish this edit before 1st Nov.
4 - started, and the more I do the better the idea I have about this new novel gets in shape.
5 - No. Somewhat due to a bad software problem that makes it impossible for me to log in to WP on firefox; and the WP does hardly work with my old IE. This browser-problem is a real hard case, I find no one to help me.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started rehearsal for my next show yesterday, so I only got a couple hundred words down - no surprise there. On the plus side, I started Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind last night which, if I can finish it by the end of the month, will be another goal achieved. I'm enjoying it thus far and that always makes for a faster read. Up to page 39.

Current WIP word count: 82,627 out of 90,000

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited this short paper twice, and added proper referencing. It's due tomorrow, but honestly, it's looking pretty good as it is now. Might give it another couple of edits then submit it tonight.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Still haven't had time to do some proper writing, but I did manage to squeeze in a little bit tonight. It's not much, but it's still better than nothing.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did a few more edits, and just now submitted the short paper. *flop*

So I now have 4 assignments left. 1, I've written the first draft, but it still needs an author statement. 1, I've got all my notes in place ready to write the first draft. 1, I've made some notes on everything but the author statement, still need to write it. 1, I haven't looked at yet.

3 weeks and 1 day left. Eek!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wrote an extremely telly glob of words, which will no doubt have to be rewritten. At least it was something. Just not making a lot of headway on the WIP these past few days.

Current WIP word count: 82,909 out of 90,000