Favorite lines you've written

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Mike declares his intentions to escape.

Tipp disagrees.

“You...you think we're going to e-e-e-escape?” She rolled around on the ground, beating her thin fist against the ground. The turret looked their way, as if inquisitive. “No, you're nuts, Meat. Nuts!”

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Aphrodite loomed over the kneeling figure of Eros and cupped his chin in the palm of her hand. "Rise, my son. Speak to me."

ebenstone

Registered
Reaction score
Two from my YA:

Barren, stripped branches reached into the air all around them like grasping fingers reaching for something unseen in the sky.

AND

An impotent truffler.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
"Among the rowdy natives, and full of Milwaukee's best, she wanted to abandon herself to the moment. She walked to a blazing garbage can, swilled her cup of beer and dropped it into the fire. The melting plastic smoked like red-hot passion."

From Capon Frank installment XVI, soon to be posted. ;)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
In my novel The Space Between, after Maggie and David are rescued from a tropical island, living on fish and fruit:

She stared at the burger for a time, as if she didn’t know what to do with it, then picked it up and took a huge bite, rolling her eyes in ecstasy. Meat. Red, tasty, delicious meat. "My God, I think I’m having a hambergasm!"

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Some excellent lines in this thread!

Here's a little exchange I like. From a gunfight in the woods, two thugs against one thief (all men - that's important). One thug is down for the count:

------------------------------------

“Shame about your buddy, too,” I shouted. “Hell of a way to go. You ready to join him?”

Pope’s gun roared. The bullet skimmed the side of the tree, inches from my head. “Ladies first.”

“Oh, you’re clever. Did you pick up your insults at Thugs-R-Us?”

-----------------------------------

And from earlier in this exchange, after a missed shot:

“You’re a lousy shot, Pope. What’s your regular job—doing Trevor’s laundry?”

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
I love this thread. I wonder who the genius was who thought of it?

Oh right, it was me.

Seriously, there's some mad creativity going on here.

Even if she and her dad lived here for the next forty years they would probably still be known as the Japanese people from California that bought old George’s house--which was particularly amusing considering her great grandparents were from China.

Dan Razor

Bringing Flanel back
Registered
Reaction score
“It is the mark of four dragons. Kind of metaphorical type things…like destruction, mayhem, yadda yadda or so they say."
:)

writin52

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the best lines I've ever written

Sadie dried her hands on her blood-spattered apron, then turned to him, her deep violet eyes twinkling. "Oh, you got shot in the back all right." She stepped smartly toward the door with the pan of bloody water. Just before going through, she turned and grinned at him. "Backside that is!"

imagegod

Registered
Reaction score
Some excellent lines in this thread!
But none as excellent as mine...

"Call me Ishmael."

Yeah I know, some slacker used it first. But I used it too...and it's definitely my fav-o-rite.

aonarach

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
WIP: "We will have to agree this is not a memoir. Perhaps in a few years, when the statute of limitations expires, what was anecdote will become confession. Until then, let's call the girl with her hand in the till 'Molly'. The lifeless body at her feet does not need a name.

nicolen

Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
This is from a short story that I'm slowly expanding into a longer story. My protagonist, a woman in her mid twenties, is in a concentration camp and is about to be executed.

"[FONT=&quot]Steel strands of barbed wire cut through the red sky."
[/FONT]

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
From the lastest chapter of my WIP:

“No,” Maggie said, “more like a heroine in a song. Say, Aoifre the Shining, slaughtering the Balgars at Nylock. Our drollery sang the story near-nightly; it’s my father’s favorite. Have you heard it?” She closed her eyes and thought for a moment, then sang.

“Came Aoifre’s band, bronze-bladed and shining
from the wood, bringing behind them the horde of
blue-tattooed berserks
Teeth bared in defiance of Empire
Princely torques set round necks ignorant of
Any master’s rope
Came they to Nylock, where death waited.”

Maggie had a fair voice, but when she opened her eyes she saw Tabby’s lips twisted in a moue of distaste.

“Aoifre Childslayer, we call her.” Tabby turned her head and spat contemptuously through her fingers. “May the gods piss on her bones.”

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
This is from a short story that I'm slowly expanding into a longer story. My protagonist, a woman in her mid twenties, is in a concentration camp and is about to be executed.

"[FONT=&quot]Steel strands of barbed wire cut through the red sky."[/FONT]

I quite like this! Creepy.

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
1. Will asking Diana to return to camp with him in Bella Diana after she's spent three months at a safe house in the country: "After all these years together on the road, this is what you want? Dresses, chickens and goat cheese?"

2. And later in the same scene, Will asks Diana to marry him, telling her: "I don't care if we raise children or just raise hell."

2. Diana to Sgt Bonner in My New-Found Land: "I don’t meet many folks who stick to their principles. Or maybe I should say they stick to them just fine, it’s just that their principles aren’t very good ones."

3. Ozone to Diana in My New-Found Land, explaining why he doesn't want to pray for the dead people he found in an abandoned house: "I don't have any pull with God. They’ll have to make it to Heaven on their own."

4. Charlene to Diana in My New-Found Land: "Does everything have to have a point? Isn’t it enough to laugh and make a happy memory that you can enjoy later, over and over like a photograph?"

5. Will in Bella Diana, answering Diana's question about whether a dead child goes to Heaven: “I don't see why not. I wouldn’t trust a God who would punish a little kid. And maybe she was kind of lucky. She never had a chance to screw things up and go to Hell.”

6. Diana, pondering her hasty marriage in Bella Diana: "My whole life isn’t what I expected. And the strangest thing is that I keep expecting anything at all.”

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
An exchange between two rogue brothers, Dylan and Corbin. Dylan just woke up Corbin, who was sleeping at his console.

“You should've been watching your console.”
"Watching it for what? What could possibly—”
“Watch it! Be careful with those famous last words.”
“Well, might as well say 'em now. Any moment now, I'll be going stir-crazy.”

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
I don't have any from my WIP. Most of my really good lines are just when I'm ranting about something stupid. It's not really my favortie. But I wrote it today and I like quite a bit...

Life is a puzzle. But some pieces are missing, some don’t even belong to me, and others still are warped beyond repair and can’t fit into their places.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
From page 276. Denise has just been assaulted by a malevolent ghost. Linda suggests they call 911, to which Greg replies:

“And tell them what? That an invisible man beat her up? They’ll put me in jail. Then into the psych ward!”

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
From a recent chapter posted in the SYW mainstream/contemporary board:

--For Hank to have heard, “I’ll marry you, Robbie Heart,” it didn’t have to take a mouse to realize an elephant was coming.

Brighid

Registered
Reaction score
between the barns and the buggies, Pennsylvania
Some lines from a chapter of my current WIP:

The air held the acrid smell of burning flesh.

The smoke curled around the stone buildings and lingered in the valley, a fog blocking most of the rocky coast of the firth.

Gellie watched as the spirit of her friend faded from this world to begin the journey back to the Goddess.

Last edited: