The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Girl at work a few months ago: who are you guys talking about?

Me: Hee Haw

Girl: What's that?

Me: Um... a tv show. A long, long, long time ago. *sigh* I'm finally where my parents used to be.

I used to be able to ask my mom if they had tv when she was little and she said they were one of the first on their blocks. My kids can't fathom tv never existing at one time. I was asked what a record was the other day by my daughter.

Oh, no! It's happening!

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I just googled Joe Friday's badge number - 714 is correct.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad would drool over Juliet Prowse every time she danced in those fishnet stockings. Once I hit puberty I nudged Dad out of the way (took the front row seat) on that one.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad would drool over Juliet Prowse every time she danced in those fishnet stockings. Once I hit puberty I nudged Dad out of the way (took the front row seat) on that one.

Juliet Prowse. Grrroooooooowwwwwwwlllllllllll.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJAWbG6rqfQ

I remember this start for the Mickey Mouse Club show, but I always thought that the Mousekateers jumped out of bathroom stalls -- you know, the door would open and Annette would pop out and say "I'm Annette". I can't find that anywhere though. Did I imagine that part?

And Hee Haw -- Buck Owens and Roy Clarke and those two old guys that sang that "Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and I thought I found true love. You met another and Pfttt you were gone"....

why oh why oh why do I know that??

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
December 1948, in San Francisco, we got one of the first TVs in the neighborhood, and Tuesday nights my best friends, some neighbors, and a few relations would come over to watch on our 10" screen Milton Berle and wrestling with characters like Gorgeous George, Hard Boiled Haggerty, Argentine Rocco, and Baron Leone. Our max number of guests was 22. Most did not call in advance. They simply appeared. Within a few months all had their own TVs. The late night show precursor of the Tonight Show was led by Jerry Lester with Dagmar, and musician Milton DeLugg.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Sorry Don, Sunday night TV did not consist of Lawrence Welk;
You're right of course. I had intended to mention the Ed Sullivan show, but then I thought of the Lennon Sisters, and edited my original words, but the mental vision of Kathy Lennon caused me to forget to change the night to Saturday.

Speaking of Presley on Ed Sullivan, I remember seeing the broadcast where he was only shown from the waist up, because the censors considered his hip movements obscene. Whatever happened to Variety Shows, like Ed, Perry, Dinah, Jackie, Steve?

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
And I believe DeLugg also wrote the Nat King Cole hit Orange Colored Sky.

I forgot to add the earliest Admiral Hour with Morey Amsterdam yuk-a-pucking on his cello and Art Carney as Newton, the waiter.

And the classy game shows like WHAT'S MY LINE and TO TELL THE TRUTH with accomplished name celebrity regulars unlike today on GSN.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJAWbG6rqfQ

I remember this start for the Mickey Mouse Club show, but I always thought that the Mousekateers jumped out of bathroom stalls -- you know, the door would open and Annette would pop out and say "I'm Annette". I can't find that anywhere though. Did I imagine that part?

I seem to remember them walking in through doors. But I'm not sure. I do remember them having, Western Round up Day, Anything Can Happen Day, and...um...uh...there were three more days. Anyone?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
And Hee Haw -- Buck Owens and Roy Clarke and those two old guys that sang that "Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and I thought I found true love. You met another and Pfttt you were gone"....

why oh why oh why do I know that??

For the same reason I used to have this on my answering machine (and yes, it was sung by Yours Truly):

"Gloom, despair, and agony, oh me!
Deep, dark depression!
Excessive misery!
Leave your name and number;
We'll call you when we're free...
Gloom, despair, and agony, oh me!"

IOW: We're Old Farts.

Status
Not open for further replies.