Your thoughts on blog reviews and blog tours?

ClockPrince

Registered
Reaction score
My debut novel will be coming out soon (through a small press). When I told my editor that I'd found a few (book blog) reviewers willing to review ARCs, and a blog that was even willing to set up a book tour, she said that I should be careful about who I send my book too. The main reasons she stated were that (1) my book could be pirated (before its release date); and (2) reviewers aren't like regular readers in that they'll tear your book apart. These reasons make sense to me, and I value her opinion seeing as she's an author herself ... but at the same time I'm now torn as to what I should do. My editor didn't actually say not to have anyone review the book, in fact she applauded me for taking an initiative to build up a network. But now I don't know what to do.

Do you think that having reviews on book blogs (before a book's release date) helps build an audience / increase sale numbers? What about doing a blog tour?

gilesth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gilesth.blogspot.com
Building an audience through blog tours and reviews depends a LOT on the size of the blog's audience.

I don't have any actual numbers on the effectiveness of these methods, but anecdotally, I don't know a lot of readers who picked up books through these methods. Take that with a pound of salt because it's ALL based on my own shopping methods and the methods my friends use.

All in all, blog tours take only a little bit of time and could be worth the effort since they don't cost anything, but be SUPER selective about who you ask to review your book.

You could also try to get onto a few podcasts as a guest. Approach them with the idea of discussing a specific topic and see if you can promote your book, too. Bringing content to the show is a great way to get your name out there, and the podcast may appreciate the help since programming can be tough to come by.

Hope that helps!

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
My advice is: be very picky. I would choose blogs with good reputation and active community. If blog visitors are active in commenting on the blog and discussing related topics on social media, you have higher chances to get them interested.

Lizzie7800

Registered
Reaction score
I've only been reviewed on one blog so far (a couple more coming up) it didn't hurt anything, but it also didn't affect my sales. It was a smaller blog so I hadn't expected much, but I was hoping for a few sales from it. I'm curious to see how the next few go. I'm sure if you could find a well-known blog it would be more effective.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You editor is correct that it is important to be highly selective in terms of which blog and blog tours you get involvement with. Most would be a waste of time, some would be mildly damaging and a small handful can be hugely helpful in marketing a book.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I've been book blogging for a little while and participate in tours through a YABound, Xpresso Reads and a few others. My opinion is that while the blog post itself does have some value, the biggest thing is that the blogger needs to repost their review (especially if positive) on Goodreads and Amazon to really influence your sales.

I'm going to be in the same position next year of organising a blog tour as an author for the first time. I'm going to look for blogs that write substantive reviews and a very strong track record of reposting to Amazon -- if there are any who are rated reviewers on Amazon, I'm DEFINITELY approaching them!

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
My opinion is that while the blog post itself does have some value, the biggest thing is that the blogger needs to repost their review (especially if positive) on Goodreads and Amazon to really influence your sales.

This makes a lot of sense, and if I think about my own buying habits I'm often more convinced by reviews at the point-of-sale then somewhere more removed.

One more thing to add though, is to make sure that any blog posts/reviews link back to your own website - and attach the link itself to relevant key words rather than your unique name. For example, they could link through a phrase such as "dystopian sci-fi novel" or "comedy romance author". This will help with Google Page Ranking, so that when people search <insert sub-genre plus favourite trope> you have a chance of getting noticed.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I find it interesting that on my self-published book review blog I state in the submission guidelines that I post to Amazon and Goodreads on request. After 100 reviews, no one has every requested it.