Fantasy without Magic

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I think that what the witches do in HDM is magic.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you think about it, The Lord of the Rings actually has very little magic in it. Some, but not a lot.

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm trying to think of others that would fall into this category...

The Queen's Thief? Or is that alternate history?

Am I getting too hung up on this?

Yes, I was thinking of this. :) But Megan Whalen Turner consistently says, despite Greek influences/inspiration, that it's not meant to be history, so I tend to see her books as fantasy without magic. (Although I really like the touches of the divine that she includes, which sometimes feels like magic.)

I'm also thinking of The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski, which was my favorite book in 2014 (The Winner's Crime is on deck for me now). I read it over a year ago now, so I can't remember if it had any magical elements--but if it did, I think they were minimal.

snitchcharm

fledgling adult
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also thinking of The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski, which was my favorite book in 2014 (The Winner's Crime is on deck for me now). I read it over a year ago now, so I can't remember if it had any magical elements--but if it did, I think they were minimal.

TWC doesn't have magic--so refreshing! I'm reading The Winner's Crime right now :)

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Maybe I'll seem to be narrow-minded, but I can't imagine fantasy without magic. Perhaps, it's a stereotype.
I think, the genre, in which you're writing, is called utopia or dystopia.
I haven't read your story so it's just a guess.

Last edited: