Do I need to use a local host/domain?

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while; I'll probably go with WordPress, self-hosted, but I live in Canada. Does it make a difference if I use a Canadian web host? I know I'll get screwed on the exchange rate if I use a U.S. based host (which is fine), but I just wondered if it made any real difference to the website (loading times, hard drive space, etc.)? I know the internet is universal, but I wasn't sure if using a Canadian host would make a difference, other than the usual price differences and so on.

And what about registering a domain name? Is that basically universal, or do I have to use a Canadian company? Any replies from fellow Canadian bloggers would be appreciated :)

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't now if I can link to another forum or not but I read in a webmaster forum that it is best to host in the country you are targeting. That same thread said it didn't matter.

It didn't seem to matter about the things you're concerned with.

(I googled this "does it matter if your canadian and host in the us?" if that helps.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I know the internet is universal, but I wasn't sure if using a Canadian host would make a difference, other than the usual price differences and so on.

Location can affect service costs, but it may also affect legal issues as well, depending on your content.

The very best host I ever had was a local (in the same state) developer who had a handful of customers. He was amazing in terms of service and support and I learned a heck of a lot from him. You might have good luck locally. You're less likely to be a customer number with a small local ISP.

And what about registering a domain name? Is that basically universal, or do I have to use a Canadian company? Any replies from fellow Canadian bloggers would be appreciated :)

You don't have to use a Canadian registry, but were I Canadian, I'd proudly use the CA extension, even if I just mirrored the .com or .net versions of my domain.

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to use a Canadian registry, but were I Canadian, I'd proudly use the CA extension, even if I just mirrored the .com or .net versions of my domain.

When you say "mirrored", what does that entail? If I wanted to get a .COM and a .CA extension, wouldn't I have to pay twice? Or is there a way of getting multiple domain extensions without getting charged multiple times?

lance.schukies

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
host in your own country is fine, if people know where you are from and Google you, Google uses that information of where you host to help the search ie there are two Tom Jones in Canada one hosts in USA the person searches for Tom Jones Canada, the USA site will rank lower.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
When you say "mirrored", what does that entail? If I wanted to get a .COM and a .CA extension, wouldn't I have to pay twice? Or is there a way of getting multiple domain extensions without getting charged multiple times?

You would be buying multiple names on the web. mysite.com is a different name than mysite.net, or .ca, etc.

So, you're paying for each name, but you can point all the names to the same place, so you're only paying once for hosting.