Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap it's been like five million years since I've been here lol. I haven't been writing in ages but lately I've been dying to except I can't put a single thing into words. Ugh so frustrating lol

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this thread has been pretty dead :tongue

It's holidays here at the moment, which is nice. Looking forwards to getting lots of editing done on my novel! And then I can finally get back to a different project, a first draft I'm waiting to edit.

Holy crap it's been like five million years since I've been here lol. I haven't been writing in ages but lately I've been dying to except I can't put a single thing into words. Ugh so frustrating lol
Just write whatever you feel like, even if you think it sucks. You can edit it later, after all.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score

I know that feeling all too well. I've not been on in forever, and haven't actually written anything just as long.

Hows everyone been?

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I know that feeling all too well. I've not been on in forever, and haven't actually written anything just as long.

Hows everyone been?

Hey, I remember you! Well, I'm not a teen anymore...and I'm incredibly hungover as I came back from my friend's birthday weekend in a hotel (his parents booked it out, it was unbelievable). How are you?! I remember you were going through kind of a tough time...(Is that too personal?) I hope you're doing well.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I realized something today that I'd never really thought about. I have a 20-25 page paper due on Friday, and I was dumb and procrastinated it forever. I'm on page four. As I was thinking about the number of pages I have to have, I was feeling super overwhelmed. Then I thought about how much I had to write if I converted it into words instead of pages. Rather than saying "20-25 pages", I can say "5-6K words" (give or take a bit). That sounds SO much more doable. I mean, that's like 2-3 chapters. I've done that in a day when I really got going. Writing for a word count has ruined me for writing for pages. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I remember you! Well, I'm not a teen anymore...and I'm incredibly hungover as I came back from my friend's birthday weekend in a hotel (his parents booked it out, it was unbelievable). How are you?! I remember you were going through kind of a tough time...(Is that too personal?) I hope you're doing well.

No its not too personal, I ranted about all my troubles on here after all. I went though a lot the last few years. But I did in the end graduate college. I got over my ex who broke up with me after 5 years, got a new boyfriend, and my dream job. (not actually my dream job, but I got the dream job title I worked my whole life for, Forensic Scientist.) And now I'm slowly starting to get over my three year long writers block now that I've come to terms with re-writing my whole series.

Wow writing that all out, I'm realizing I'm really not anywhere close to a teen anymore. Guess that's what happens when your about to turn 25. I still live at home, and I'm not married with kids like most of my friends. So hopefully you guys wont kick me out just yet. :D

And BG, how have you been? I saw your about to graduate. Congrats! I'm assuming the paper your writing is your Thesis? If it makes you feel better I did the same with mine. I wrote all 20 pages on "The Chemistry behind Anti-Matter" the night before it was due. Your writing abilities will help you greatly, I'm sure. Very smart idea about turning pages into word count, sort of wished I'd thought of it. Good luck with your paper though.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it was my senior capstone/thesis. I wrote 22 pages in three days. My brain was dead for about a week afterwards (which was bad, because I had another two papers and two tests that week). It was really interesting, though. I did it about the World Wars, LotR, Star Wars, and Harry Potter (I'm a double major in psych and history. My psychology capstone stuff was mostly volunteer hours). I just took my last undergrad final, and it's really weird..... I'm definitely not a teen anymore (despite the fact that sometimes I still feel like one, and I work with them all the time).

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, people are here in this thread! Hope you're going good too, Elysium :)

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys ever have the experience where you're feeling really good about working on something, and then someone tells you you should and suddenly you lose all motivation and desire (because you're being told to)?

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys ever have the experience where you're feeling really good about working on something, and then someone tells you you should and suddenly you lose all motivation and desire (because you're being told to)?

Yeah, I get that sometimes. The word 'should' makes it feel like a chore.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god what the hell happened this is so different it took me 8 years to find TWFT.

Mmm... I don't lose the desire to WHAT THE HELL MY POST JUST AUTOSAVED, um, but I don't stop wanting to write because someone tells me I should. Sometimes, I lose motivation because being told I should write, when I know someone is right but I'm busy procrastinating, makes me feel like a slacker, which makes me slack off more. Vicious cycle.

this thing is so weird i'm so lost guys.

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god what the hell happened this is so different it took me 8 years to find TWFT.

Mmm... I don't lose the desire to WHAT THE HELL MY POST JUST AUTOSAVED, um, but I don't stop wanting to write because someone tells me I should. Sometimes, I lose motivation because being told I should write, when I know someone is right but I'm busy procrastinating, makes me feel like a slacker, which makes me slack off more. Vicious cycle.

this thing is so weird i'm so lost guys.

It was weird at first, but you'll get used to the site quickly :)

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Slacking off. :tongue Not really, but as far as writing goes I kind of am. I started a new job about a month ago, and it's kicking my trash. Which is why I probably need to be writing.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Jobs ruin writing. I work nights now. I work 10 hour shifts, so i get three days off a week. Even with more time off it doesnt help much. I get what your saying about losing motivation because someone told you to write. I was sort of that way. I've used writing to de-stress my whole life, and when work was getting to me my mom would tell me to "well you've not written lately" and I'd just roll my eyes. Like I KNOW I HAVEN'T. I haven't because i have no motivation and her reminding me of it killed the little motivation i had left in me. Trying to get back in the groove of thing

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, huh. I find my job makes writing easier - but then, I have a writing job (not fiction, but still, using words all day).

Ally! I feel like I haven't seen you around in forever!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
If I had a tablet or something that I could use, I could actually do some when I work graves. ....Depending on what job the grave supervisor has me do. If I'm doing food prep, there's not really time for anything else. If I'm sitting outside the bedrooms keeping an eye on the girls, I could totally write.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
This is fairly new (like, since May), but I'm a youth mentor at a group home for teenage girls. There are days that I love it, and days I don't know how I'm going to go back the next day, but it's definitely a rewarding job. I volunteered there for my service hours for my psych capstone from early February-graduation.

Last edited:

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow, that's intense. Is it something you want to keep doing, or kind of a temporary job?