Does having a character turn out to be gay in a sequel make my series unmarketable?

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
There are YA books with secondary characters who are gay. The Mortal Instruments come to mind.

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty Little Liars is another example of a wildly successful YA series featuring a major character who is LGBTQ. The Gossip Girl books also dealt with characters exploring their sexuality in later novels without sacrificing marketability or readership...I think it all depends on how it's handled and what audience you're targeting.

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com
Maybe I'm a little different, but I think I have a lot of characters who are presented as neither straight nor gay, because the issue of who they are sexually attracted to doesn't come up in the story in any way. I write a fair bit of action, so when you're running for your life, strange creatures are invading your planet, or you're fighting off zombies to survive, you might not spend too much time worrying about the sexual orientation of everyone around you.

I think it's the story that should dictate where you go and how you handle it. If the question comes up in the first book, giving some hints is fine, but I don't feel you need to put hints in there just because the issue will come up in book 2. Storylines are great to foreshadow, as are character arcs, but it shouldn't be necessary to foreshadow sexual orientation just because some people assume straight as the default.

I really hope that in this day and age having a gay character isn't an issue on sale-ability. I don't think it is, but it's always been hard for me to wrap my head around the tastes and preferences of pop culture.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
Given the number of people who deliberately read banned books, no, a controversial issue like a gay character won't destroy your marketability. The question that only you can decide is, are you willing to embrace the controversy?

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
I'm sorry, but I think you ought to sell the first book before worrying about the second. If an it's an issue you'll have a team, ie your agent and editor, to help you figure it out.