What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Erica - I felt like overall the book dealt too much with the dark places of the adult mind more so than the teen place of Ava's mind. It was a mix, so I'm guessing that's why they felt they could label YA, but there was so much that took place with thoughts and ideas more relevant to adults, that it didn't seem to fit the YA age group for me. It's not that YA readers couldn't connect with it, because I think there's a large group of mature teens who could get the underlying messages, but as a whole, it seemed more geared to truths we adults might understand. Especially since it was a grown woman looking back on her teen years and seeming them through the lens of maturity, growth and experience. I think they made the right gamble in getting it more readers, and I'm glad they did because I probably wouldn't have read it had it been labeled adult, but it's one of those books that could be either I guess.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading an arc of Elaine Dimopoulos's MATERIAL GIRLS, and it's too long! My inner editor has slashed a number of scenes, and I'm only half-way in. Quite interesting concept, though.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm switching back and forth between LAST SACRIFICE and RED QUEEN because I'm reading Red Queen with a friend who works more than I do, so I don't want to get too far ahead. I am only about 100 pages into Red Queen so far, but I'm finally starting to get into it! Last Sacrifice, of course, being the last in the Vampire Academy series, is very exciting. I must say that though I liked the Vampire Academy movie (despite pretty much everyone else hating it), I don't think it does the series justice. It's actually a very interesting, complex, and fun read! I will be sad when the series is over, but I'm excited to start her Bloodlines spin-off series.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Got my hands early on Sarah Dessen's next book, SAINT ANYTHING, out in May. I am not far into it but it feels like an earlier SD book (more Dreamland/Keeping the Moon than her newer stuff) <3

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Got my hands early on Sarah Dessen's next book, SAINT ANYTHING, out in May. I am not far into it but it feels like an earlier SD book (more Dreamland/Keeping the Moon than her newer stuff) <3

This is good news! I loooove early Sarah Dessen. Actually I just love Sarah Dessen, period.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Erica - I felt like overall the book dealt too much with the dark places of the adult mind more so than the teen place of Ava's mind. It was a mix, so I'm guessing that's why they felt they could label YA, but there was so much that took place with thoughts and ideas more relevant to adults, that it didn't seem to fit the YA age group for me. It's not that YA readers couldn't connect with it, because I think there's a large group of mature teens who could get the underlying messages, but as a whole, it seemed more geared to truths we adults might understand. Especially since it was a grown woman looking back on her teen years and seeming them through the lens of maturity, growth and experience. I think they made the right gamble in getting it more readers, and I'm glad they did because I probably wouldn't have read it had it been labeled adult, but it's one of those books that could be either I guess.

Interesting! Thanks for going into more detail.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Idk how anyone got the idea this is a fantasy-hybrid. It's straight up dystopia with superpowers (a monarchy in power does not a fantasy make). I
I might have an answer. :)
This is from http://newleafliterary.tumblr.com/
Hi! Sorry if you got this question a million times already. I know YA dystopia is dead, but what about other genres with a bit of a dystopia flavor to them? Like R$D QU$$N which is awesome by the way! Is fantasy dystopia or sci-fi dystopia also a no-go?

I pitched RQ as a fantasy. It definitely has dystopian elements, but it felt more fantasy to me. I think that’s what you want to go for.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, done with MATERIAL GIRLS, and it was just okay, bordering on not-so-okay due to lack of editorial input. That book should have shredded thousands of words. Unsatisfactory ending (but kind of realistic/boring/likely. Something for the #RealisticYA hashtag)

Also read arc of THE HEARTBREAKERS by Ali Novak, which was completely wish fulfillment material all the way through. Very tween vibe, and younger teens will love the boy band romance thing. Me? Not so much.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Last Sacrifice, the last in the Vampire Academy series. It was sort of a predictable ending, but satisfying nonetheless. I look forward to starting the Bloodlines spinoff series.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the whole Abhorsen series. The first three books are incredible, and the nationalist party/migrants subplot felt very relevant right now! I didn't love Clariel, though. It felt a bit like the Star Wars prequels.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I just started THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER to read more magical realism. It's strange how it starts with a history lessen, but the writing is so lovely I can't stop reading it. XD

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Spent the morning finishing Becky Albertalli's SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA, and it was sooo cute and heartwarming! Definitely feel-good LGBT.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Spent the morning finishing Becky Albertalli's SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA, and it was sooo cute and heartwarming! Definitely feel-good LGBT.

I just read this one too. Adorable! There's going to be a companion about Abby's friends in D.C. so that should be fun. :)

Now currently reading Leila Sales' THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE. I have owned a copy for 3 years, yet it's been sitting on my shelf for that long too. I'm a mood reader though - I have to be emotionally ready for it, but… I am determined to read this one. :) All I hear is good things. Has anyone read it?

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Read Fairest and I really liked it. Was kind of neat reading something where I pretty much knew what was going to happen, and the MC was not likable, but I enjoyed reading anyway. I think likable MC's are highly overrated.

Reading The Raven Boys for a second time, mostly to study Stiefvater's writing.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Victoria Alvea Shecter's Curses and Smoke. I liked the setting and attention to detail but overall the book was okay. I'm now onto Anna McKerrow's Crow Moon.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
Read Fairest and I really liked it. Was kind of neat reading something where I pretty much knew what was going to happen, and the MC was not likable, but I enjoyed reading anyway. I think likable MC's are highly overrated.

Reading The Raven Boys for a second time, mostly to study Stiefvater's writing.
Fairest was really interesting. Unlikeable MCs aren't especially common in YA, and Fairest was also a lot darker than any of the other books in the series.

And I just read The Raven Boys for the first time! I loved it. I've been checking my library's website repeatedly, waiting to see if The Dream Thieves is in yet...

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Kate - I bought Raven Boys in paperback, so I had to wait for Dream Thieves to come out in paperback before I bought it, because my books must match. :) Now I'm waiting for Blue Lily, Lily Blue to come out in paperback and I don't know if I can wait that long! I love Stiefvater's writing.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Kate - I bought Raven Boys in paperback, so I had to wait for Dream Thieves to come out in paperback before I bought it, because my books must match. :) Now I'm waiting for Blue Lily, Lily Blue to come out in paperback and I don't know if I can wait that long! I love Stiefvater's writing.

My daughter lost my hardcover BLUE LILY (the last time I'll let her take a book of mine to school! :rolleyes:) so now I'm waiting to re-buy it. But in terms of figuring out what makes a story work, I get a LOT out of listening to them on CD/digital, so I may next buy the audio version, despite the price, and get another hardcover later. This is one of my favorite series, so I'll splurge for it and not regret a penny. :D

ETA: I was lucky enough to get THE RAVEN BOYS on audio for free during a brief promotional window a couple years ago. I love it and listen to it repeatedly, so I know I'll like the audio version of the rest of the series, too.

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
BLACK DOVE, WHITE RAVEN by Elizabeth Wein is kind of slow going, so I was tempted away by this volume of Jane Austen's teenage writing, LOVE AND FREINDSHIP (sic), which I didn't even know existed. It is hilarious. Think early teenage angsty stories, but with huge dashes of parody of popular novels of the day and a lot of outright absurdity. Also, it's Jane Austen, so it's a guaranteed good time for me. I've been giggling away at it.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how you stand the wait! I do love her writing style - I often pause and reread sentences just to savour them, which isn't something I can say for many books.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I finished RED QUEEN yesterday and I really liked it a lot. I thought a lot of stuff was predictable, but I still liked it. I'm excited to see where the series goes.

Then, last night, I couldn't sleep, so I read TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE by Jenny Han. In one sitting. It reminds me a lot of the Stephanie Perkins books, and I loved it. I love a good fluffy YA romance when it's written well, and I love Jenny Han's writing. I can't wait for the sequel to come out in a few weeks!

Last edited:

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how you stand the wait! I do love her writing style - I often pause and reread sentences just to savour them, which isn't something I can say for many books.

Too many books. Not enough time. :) There's always something else to read. But yeah, I love Stiefvater. I savor her sentences too. Another book for that was THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER. Adored that book!!!! Wish I would have bought hardcover instead of ebook. :(

I was tempted away by this volume of Jane Austen's teenage writing, LOVE AND FREINDSHIP (sic), which I didn't even know existed. It is hilarious. Think early teenage angsty stories, but with huge dashes of parody of popular novels of the day and a lot of outright absurdity. Also, it's Jane Austen, so it's a guaranteed good time for me. I've been giggling away at it.

No one told me this existed!!!! I even have a large hardcover of supposedly every book she's ever written. Gah! Must find. Must have!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
No one told me this existed!!!! I even have a large hardcover of supposedly every book she's ever written. Gah! Must find. Must have!

I know, this is exactly how I felt!!! It's amazing so far. Now I wish they'd publish the teenage writing of all of my favourite authors. That would be hilarious.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
As long as they don't publish my teen writing someday. That would be awful! I'd inundate people with essays about how we should all save the planet!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God, a collected edition of my teen writing would be the most entertaining thing. Maybe just for me, but I'm pretty sure the angst levels and over-the-top emo-ness would make someone else laugh, too!