-Meph the Pet Skunk
-Masked Prowler, the Story of a Raccoon ^..^
-Vison the Mink <--- really awesome

-White Fang, Jack London

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I don't think I'd ever be able to read 100 books a year. So far this year I've only read like... 10.

X

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Before I Die, Jenny Downham
The Art of Racing In The Rain, Garth Stein
I Am The Messenger, Markus Zusack

All wonderful, wonderful books. Stein's and Zusack's books tie for first place, while Before I Die is a bit paltry in comparison.

edit: And, oh, Lessons from a Dead Girl, Jo Knowles. Not bad, not riveting either.

Last edited:

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Seven more for me...

The Dead and the Gone - Susan Beth Pfeffer
Living Dead Girl - Elizabeth Scott (wow. I'm not easily disturbed, but this one lingered.)
After the First Death - Robert Cormier (dead, dead, death... geez)
Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin
The Anatomy of a Boyfriend - Daria Snadowsky
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
Ink Exchange - Melissa Marr (sexy!)

I'm at 28 so far. But these next couple weeks are going to murder me -- I have dozens of college essays to grade, and looming deadlines for a magazine cover feature and a non-fiction guidebook proposal. aahhh

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
14+ 5 = 19 (but I swear I'm forgetting about one . . .)

Stuck In Neutral by Terry Trueman: The thoughts of a supposedly brain-dead vegetable teenager. Not a favorite. Read sort of preachy to me.
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie: Srsly, Alexie rocks! This book was funny and wise and heartbreaking at the same time.
Plainsong by Kent Haruf: Our AW book club read of the month. Liked the stories in this one.
Watership Down by Richard Adams: Loved this sweet bunny fantasy.
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr: Bad boys with a good heart? Sign me up!

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Watership Down by Richard Adams: Loved this sweet bunny fantasy.

That's been one of my favorites for over a decade... I even alluded to it in my college entrance essay 8 years ago. Which bunny is your fave?

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
That's been one of my favorites for over a decade... I even alluded to it in my college entrance essay 8 years ago. Which bunny is your fave?

ONE fave?!?!?! Hazel's great, of course, but there were moments when he lost his humility or his faith in the rabbits. Fiver cracked me up - I always pictured this tiny rabbit with cartoon-crazy zoned-out eyes and one of those creepy, prophetic voices. I love Bigwig's heart; he was military, that's for sure, but he never backed down from duty. I think he might be my favorite. Although he isn't a main character, I also love Strawberry. He was completely brainwashed by his warren, yet still managed to escape and adapt and become useful and caring.

Who's your favorite?

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
ONE fave?!?!?! Hazel's great, of course, but there were moments when he lost his humility or his faith in the rabbits. Fiver cracked me up - I always pictured this tiny rabbit with cartoon-crazy zoned-out eyes and one of those creepy, prophetic voices. I love Bigwig's heart; he was military, that's for sure, but he never backed down from duty. I think he might be my favorite. Although he isn't a main character, I also love Strawberry. He was completely brainwashed by his warren, yet still managed to escape and adapt and become useful and caring.

Who's your favorite?

I too have a soft spot for Strawberry. One of my favorite scenes is when he begs to come along.... "the wires." :::SOB::: Also, intelli-bunny Blackberry is pretty awesome.

Did you know Mr. Adams came out with a "sequel" of sorts? It's called Tales from Watership Down, and includes a few misadventures during their time at the Down, plus some el-hahrairah (did I spell that right?) stories. It's good, but WD stands alone so amazingly it's not a necessary read. In the WD universe in my brain it doesn't exist, if that makes any sense (like the epilogue in Bel Canto... existing curses don't do justice for my feelings about it)

AspiringAuthoress

Ninja!!!!
Registered
Reaction score

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
only three to add for me this month (has it really been a month? EEP!)

Dust of 100 Dogs - good. I enjoyed it. Kind of wanted it to "be more," if that makes sense. But it was a good solid read.

Elsewhere - Beautiful. I definitely recommend it.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Intense. If you want to look at how to move a plot and raise stakes, take a look at this one. The tone/voice wasn't quite my style, and was maybe a bit melodramatic at times. But past the first couple of chapters, that drama was earned, so there ya go. Recommended.

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this thread, and I want to play!

I teach reading and I'm an insanely fast reader. I keep a reading log because my students do, too, so I'm going to pull the ones starting from January off my wall and share what I've read so far this year, along with the commentary I write on my log:

Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind -- {Love!!!}
Granny Torrelli makes Soup -- {Cute. A little pat, but I liked it.}
The Wild Girls -- {Really good. Good stuff about writing, friendship, and a good ending.}
Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West -- {It was okay.}
Becoming a Writer -- {Many insights; interesting and useful}
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules -- {Not as funny as the first one, but pretty good}
The Hundred Dresses -- {sweet story}
The Girl with the Silver Eyes -- {Not as good as I recall from childhood, but cute}
Crunch Time -- {Wow. Couldn’t stop reading. Lots to like—don’t know that I liked the bittersweet reveal or the ending, though. Raw.}
The Melting of Maggie Bean – {Cute. Makes it all seem simple; goofy in places, but okay}
Cruise Control – {Not as good as Stuck in Neutral. Ending much too pat}
Kiss me Tomorrow – {Weird “voice.” It was okay.}
Wrecked – {Wow. Phenomenal.}
Maggie Bean Stays Afloat – {Cute. Tries too hard in placed. Ending a bit dues ex machine}
Stuck in Neutral – {Good one! So disturbing}
Ramona’s World – {Cute. Episodic}
The Voyage of the Frog – {Decent adventure, very typically Paulsen}
Everlost – {WOW! Loved it—LOVED it!}
Night of the Howling Dogs – {Good, unusual adventure, nice character touches}
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw – {Better than second one}
Wanted! – {Silly, tedious book featuring the world’s stupidest ninny of an MC}
Lies My Teacher Told Me – {Fascinating}
A Crooked Kind of Perfect – {Great book, fun, touching.}
Losing Joe’s Place – {Another idiotic farce of a stupid book. Why do I keep reading Korman?}
Green Angel – {Kind of strange and symbolic, but a touching story}
Wait Till Helen Comes – {Good ghost story; creepy without being too disturbing}
Gamer Girl – {Teensy bit predictable, but very fun and modern}
Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature – {Is it possible to be in love with a book? ‘Cause I am. This was all I believe. Perfect. Wish I’d written it. Love, Love, Love!}
Schooled – {When will I learn? Not as odious as some Korman, but still goofy and highly improbable. Stop reading Korman!!!}
Secrets of My Hollywood Life: On Location – {Didn’t realize it was a sequel. A little too much like the Clique novels: silly and shallow.}
Models Don’t Eat Chocolate Cookies – {Ending a bit pat—I saw Theo from miles away—but still a cute enough book}
The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini - {Learned a lot about this interesting man}

Hmm. I already have 32. I usually read a book every couple of days, unless I'm in a "writing more than reading" phase. Some YA books only take me a few hours. And I do take the AR quizzes to prove to the kids that I'm reading them! :D

--Q

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Quossum, wow, so many books!

Thanks for giving the mini-reviews, helps me pick up new books to put on my to-read list.

Wrecked by E.R. frank? if so, then yes: LOVE!

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
19 + 6 = 25 . . . a quarter of the way there!

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: was I the only one that thought (stupidly) that this would end with a happy ending? Escape and friendship and such? Oh, how naive. It hit me when Bruno's head was shaved. V. good. And after this, my reading of WWII Nazi Germany books is done. For now.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson: Bioethics of the future, interesting, pretty good read.

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall: I loved this delightful classic.

Before I Die by Jenny Downham: Some lovely turns of phrases in this one.

Elizabeth Peters' The Mummy Case and The Crocodile on the Sandbank: I'd never reached for mysteries before, but my DH suggested these ones. They are fun!

It's-Magic!

An eye for an eye.
Registered
Reaction score
In my dreams? Florida. Reality? The UK. Huh.
So far:
Twilight -S.Meyer
New Moon -S.Meyer
Eclipse -S.Meyer
Breaking Dawn -S.Meyer
Marked -P.C Cast
Betrayed - P.C Cast
Chosen -P.C Cast
Maria Takes a Stand (forgotten the author though)
And I'm currently reading Noughts and Crosses -Malorie Blackman

I'm 14 by the way.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Six more....

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson (vampire apocalypse!)

Suite Scarlett - Maureen Johnson (cute, but I felt very emotionally distant from her characters, not for the first time...)

Bliss - Lauren Myracle (ultra-compelling at times, with a uniquely sinister antagonist, but the ending was a bad choice)

Audrey, Wait! - Robin Benway (cute)

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro (spec fic with a supremely dark premise that unfolds gradually... great fun)

Chains - Laurie Halse Anderson (I've read all her YA books (except Wintergirls) and nothing has measured up to Speak, but this comes close. Loved it)

Total: 34

MeganRebekah

Registered
Reaction score
What a great challenge - I love it! I'm tempted to rummage back through my bookshelves and my Kindle to see what I've read so far this year and join ya'll.

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
A CURSE DARK AS GOLD (MC and banker have really good chemistry)
CATCHER IN THE RYE (reminds me of pudge in looking for alaska)
LEGACY (kate brian) (actually pretty good. really shallow, but the area and setting was pretty similar to my wip. I was jealous of the description.)
PAPER TOWNS (okay so far. LFA by the same author was much more riveting)

eta: One more. Undone by Brooke Taylor. It was okay. Not really that good, just picked it up 'cause Agent Kristin repped it.

Last edited:

Conant

The Spiral King
Registered
Reaction score
R'lyeh, trying to wake up that useless Cthulhu.
Ooooh! I love things like this! Let's see... starting in January...

In Legend Born
The White Dragon
The Destroyer Goddess
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen II
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier
The Call of Cthulhu
At the Mountains of Madness
The Thing on the Doorstep
The Whisperer in Darkness
The King in Yellow
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
V for Vendetta

The White Dragon, Destroyer Goddess, and In Legend Born are some of the best books I have ever read. Totally suggest them to anyone who likes fantasy.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Project Fill-in-the-Gaps on Editorial Ass? Despite having majored in lit/writing in college, I'm all too aware that I'm missed maaaaany many many of the supposed-to-reads (Moby Dick! A Tale of Two Cities! Jane Eyre! etc etc etc). While I'm no literary snob -- I think all writers should read across genres, popular commercial fiction as well as esoteric literary -- I definitely think I need to catch up in the classics department. What about you?

Thing is, we can probably read 5 YAs for every Moby Dick. And this is the year of ONE HUNDRED BOOKS, not one hundred classics (would that even be possible?). But I've decided to begin composing my list, and maybe I can fill in at least a few gaps in between fun stuff like Evernight and Jellicoe Road and Graceling (what I'm reading now.)

Indus

Chocolate Milk mmm.
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt I'll make it to one hundred, but I'll definitely give it a try.
So far this year....

Non-YA books:
White Witch, Black Curse- Kim Harrison (Love this series)

Narcissus In Chains- Anita K Hamilton ...got into this series last year and read 'em like crazy, but I think I'm burnt out on them for now.

YA books:

Evermore- Alyson Noel- I liked her style, but the 'reveal' at the end was just a couple pages that bordered on infodumping. It's an interesting concept and I think I'll enjoy the second book more. Anyone else feel that the second story in a series is always better lol?

Harry Potter books 1, 2, and 3 -J.K. Rowling-- Yes, I know. Took me long enough right?

Hunted- P.C. Cast- There were some descriptions that were really beautifully done. But as the series has progressed, the same storyline is getting drawn out a little too long for my liking.

Crank-Ellen Hopkins- I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get into this one, but I finished it in a few hours. Liked it very much.

The Graveyard Book- Loved it.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
25+5=30

The Brothers Torres: Coert Voorhees - Great voice, great pace, liked this one.
Gamer Girl: Mari Mancusi - This was all right. Entirely too predictable.
The Disappeared: Gloria Whelan - I wanted more from this one, but I still liked this tale about a brother and a sister in 1970s Argentina.
The Mysterious Benedict Society: Trenton Lee Stewart - Fun and interesting. A good MG read.
Climbing the Stairs: Padma Venkatraman - And excellent tale about a woman's place in WWII India. Spirited, great characters.