Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
YA Adventure recommendations...

Hi All,

I am looking for some recommendations for some YA adventure/suspense or maybe mystery. I've read a lot but I'm now having trouble finding more and sincerely doubt that I've gone through all that's out there. What I really don't want is sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal or things that are not in the "real world" if you know what I mean. Things like Matt Whyman's Carl Hobbes books or Andrew Klavan's Homelanders series (though hopefully better written). Thanks is advance for anything you might think of.

Matt

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trash by Andy Mulligan (oh man this book is so good, don't be put off that it's about people who live in a garbage dump)
The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin
some stuff by Todd Strasser
some stuff by Chris Crutcher
and John Feinstein
also Walter Dean Myers
Tangerine
Leverage
Payback Time (and more by Carl Deuker)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I have a request that's maybe a bit odd since it's more about character type than plot or subgenre. You know, there are often "dark" brooding heroes in YA or nice & "normal" ones. I'd like to read a story where the heroine's romantic interest is a "trickster" type. Smiling, deceptively sweet and innocent but actually pretty dangerous and maybe not even really nice.
It would be lovely if the story is also supernatural or fantasy-based or paranormal, etc.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Hi! I have a request that's maybe a bit odd since it's more about character type than plot or subgenre. You know, there are often "dark" brooding heroes in YA or nice & "normal" ones. I'd like to read a story where the heroine's romantic interest is a "trickster" type. Smiling, deceptively sweet and innocent but actually pretty dangerous and maybe not even really nice.
It would be lovely if the story is also supernatural or fantasy-based or paranormal, etc.

Maybe The Iron King? I've never read it all the way through, but one of the love interests, Puck, is supposed to be mischievous. And Wicked Lovely. Keenan is kind of a trickster. I'll rec more if I can remember them.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for some recommendations for some YA adventure/suspense or maybe mystery. I've read a lot but I'm now having trouble finding more and sincerely doubt that I've gone through all that's out there. What I really don't want is sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal or things that are not in the "real world" if you know what I mean. Things like Matt Whyman's Carl Hobbes books or Andrew Klavan's Homelanders series (though hopefully better written). Thanks is advance for anything you might think of.

Matt

Kevin Brooks writes AMAZING gritty mysteries--try Black Rabbit Summer.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Brooks writes AMAZING gritty mysteries--try Black Rabbit Summer.

Looked him up on Amazon and exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendation. Keep 'em coming.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe The Iron King? I've never read it all the way through, but one of the love interests, Puck, is supposed to be mischievous. And Wicked Lovely. Keenan is kind of a trickster. I'll rec more if I can remember them.

Thanks--and they are both about fairies, that's lovely.

tcllnsfmly

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't everyone?

I'm currently reading Twilight, New Moon & Walk Two Moons (at the same time). I've read them all so much I can usually skip around to the good parts. Any reccomendations? I have The Lovely Bones but i've yet to read it along with a few others. Let me know! =)

jenelcc

A good kind of crazy
Registered
Reaction score
Contemporary YA Recommendations

Hi all,
I know there have been a lot of recommendations given here, but this was a specific enough request I thought I'd ask. So thanks for your patience.

I read a lot of YA, but I'm a fantasy reader mostly, so that's the part of it I know best. I have a niece who we're trying to encourage to read, and she likes contemporary YA with a fairly serious tone and some romance. Since I don't know that side of it that well I thought I'd ask you guys.

Also, we'd like to avoid anything with a lot of sexual content or gritty detailed violence (she's still pretty young and we're pretty conservative, though apparently not as much as the Wall Street Journal :) . She recently read 13 Reasons Why and was engrossed in it, but admitted it was too depressing for her.

I'm probably going to get her Ally Carter's Heist Society, but any other recommendations would be great. Thanks!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I know there have been a lot of recommendations given here, but this was a specific enough request I thought I'd ask. So thanks for your patience.

I read a lot of YA, but I'm a fantasy reader mostly, so that's the part of it I know best. I have a niece who we're trying to encourage to read, and she likes contemporary YA with a fairly serious tone and some romance. Since I don't know that side of it that well I thought I'd ask you guys.

Also, we'd like to avoid anything with a lot of sexual content or gritty detailed violence (she's still pretty young and we're pretty conservative, though apparently not as much as the Wall Street Journal :) . She recently read 13 Reasons Why and was engrossed in it, but admitted it was too depressing for her.

I'm probably going to get her Ally Carter's Heist Society, but any other recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Heist Society is a great read.

Anna and the French Kiss would be another good choice - serious, romance, but fairly tame. It is a bit sad, but not as sad as 13 Reasons Why.

~suki

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend any of Sarah Dessen's books, although it has romance, it doesn't get too graphic.

Also, Gayle Forman's "If I Stay" and Lauren Oliver's "Before I Fall."

Depending on how old she is I'd recommend Jodi Picoult, though she's not exactly YA, she often has younger characters. She goes into more detail with "love scenes" though, so maybe not.

jenelcc

A good kind of crazy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs so far. She loves the Twilight movies of course, but only read the first book because she has a very firm "why read the book if I can watch the movie" mentality, I think. It's been a challenge. All of her family (parents, aunts and uncles) are die hard fantasy and SF readers, so we're all kind of useless when it comes to finding her stuff. Luckily since I write YA, I at least have a clue.

Oh and age wise she's 13 going on 14 going on 40 :)

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Dash and Lily's Book of Dares
Peace Love and Baby Ducks
Gingerbread/Cupcake/Shrimp
Five Flavors of Dumb
The Cupcake Queen
The Latte Rebellion

are all pretty easygoing contemp YA with a bit of romance, and not too sordid :D

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs so far. She loves the Twilight movies of course, but only read the first book because she has a very firm "why read the book if I can watch the movie" mentality, I think. It's been a challenge. All of her family (parents, aunts and uncles) are die hard fantasy and SF readers, so we're all kind of useless when it comes to finding her stuff. Luckily since I write YA, I at least have a clue.

Oh and age wise she's 13 going on 14 going on 40 :)

Tell her that Edward is 10 times hotter in the book. Also bribe her with candy and a Justin Bieber CD.

But for a girl that age, seriously. Twilight or Harry Potter are your best bets. :)

Annmarie09

Live. Love. Laugh.
Registered
Reaction score
The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins is a fantasy triology - but I really can't think of any teen who wouldn't enjoy it :)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tell her that Edward is 10 times hotter in the book. Also bribe her with candy and a Justin Bieber CD.

But for a girl that age, seriously. Twilight or Harry Potter are your best bets. :)

There is a whole lot out there beyond Twilight and Harry Potter.

Another really great read is The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockhart. A little mystery, a little romance, fairly tame, and a great voice.

~suki

Last edited:

ryannj5

Registered
Reaction score
Here are a few I've enjoyed recently:

1. Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins
2. Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour
3. When it Happens – Susane C
4. The DUFF – Kody Keplinger
5. Two Way Street – Lauren Barnholdt
6. Clockwork Angel – Cassandra Clare

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here are a few I've enjoyed recently:

1. Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins
2. Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour
3. When it Happens – Susane C
4. The DUFF – Kody Keplinger
5. Two Way Street – Lauren Barnholdt
6. Clockwork Angel – Cassandra Clare

The Duff is probably not what the OP is looking for, if he's looking for something without a lot of sexual content for a younger neice ;)

~suki

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend 13 Little Blue Envelopes and its sequel, The Last Little Blue Envelope, by Maureen Johnson. They're about a girl who gets mysterious notes from her late aunt that send her all around the world. They have a smidgen of romance and they're very "clean," and they're so much fun to read! Actually, if she liked 13 Reasons Why but thought it was too sad, she'd really like 13LBE because it's a similar idea (messages from a dead person) but it's really upbeat and funny and quirky, and only a little sad.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
For clean ones specifically, I reaaaally recommend the Ashbury/Brookfield books by Jacyln Moriarty. They're amazing.

jenelcc

A good kind of crazy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again. This is great!

Just for the record...she REALLY isn't into fantasy...I think Twilight, honestly is about the cute boys. Several people tried to get her to read Harry Potter, and if I remember right, she made it 100 pages before she gave up, because so many people told her she had to read it. I suggested Hunger Games and the Uglies etc. and she had zero interest. In fact I think the current fantasy craze, which I love, has been part of what's made her a reluctant reader, because everyone tells her these are great books and they aren't her thing so she starts to think it's reading in general she doesn't like.

It's ironic, because when I was her age fantasy was not so cool, and I had to dig around to find books I liked.

Also, I will just add that for a 13-year-old we'd really would like to stay as "PG" as possible. She probably doesn't care, but her stodgy old aunt and uncle do :)

Last edited: