Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for YA novels in ANY genre whose stories center upon a group of friends, at least four characters or more. Some I know of already:The Disenchantments, We Were Liars, The Raven Boys, and The Outsiders. :D

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for YA novels in ANY genre whose stories center upon a group of friends, at least four characters or more. Some I know of already:The Disenchantments, We Were Liars, The Raven Boys, and The Outsiders. :D

The Burmeduz Triangle by Maureen Johnson
Looking for Alaska by John Green
um...Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants? But I haven't actually read those ones.

Can't think of anything outside of contemporary...

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations of historical YA set in or around the 1920s? Preferably with no supernatural/paranormal, but I'll look at anything. :) Thanks!

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith...it's 1930s...is that close enough? ;)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Its anyone reading Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver? I just have about 50 pages to go and I'm surprised the mystery was totally lacking throughout the book. I mean the girls lives were interesting, but seemed like so much backstory. Too much. The blurb is deceiving.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score

Maybe WE ALL LOOKED UP by Tommy Wallach?

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Its anyone reading Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver? I just have about 50 pages to go and I'm surprised the mystery was totally lacking throughout the book. I mean the girls lives were interesting, but seemed like so much backstory. Too much. The blurb is deceiving.

I read it, and liked it! I like LO, so picked it up without reading much about it/the blurbs or anything. But I tend to like books that read a little bit more backstory/telly anyway.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Any recommendations for dark contemporary (or contemporary-ish) mystery/thriller(s)? Also some contemporary that have a deep focus on the relationship between the parents and the kids, or the kids and their siblings? (Or both, but I think that might be pushing it...)

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score

THE BASIC EIGHT by Daniel Handler
THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS also possibly qualifies, as Mary said above, but the group is more disparate and it's more about their individual experiences away from each other.
For something a little bit different, Jeyn Roberts's DARK INSIDE is about a group of 4 teenagers in dystopia-land, and maybe the sequel depicts them as more of a friendship group? (Also, I've not read them but possibly the GONE books count?)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Any recommendations for dark contemporary (or contemporary-ish) mystery/thriller(s)? Also some contemporary that have a deep focus on the relationship between the parents and the kids, or the kids and their siblings? (Or both, but I think that might be pushing it...)

Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks, for the first. I've read two others of his, and Killing God (US title: Dawn) does have a mystery element to it as I remember. Helen Grant's The Disappearance of Katharina Linden.

Tabitha Suzuma's Forbidden for the latter, but I seem to remember you've read that already. Also the one I've just finished, Sarah Crossan's Apple and Rain, though that's more MG than YA.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score

I loved Jandy Nelson's I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN, and thought the exploration of a complicated sibling relationship was done really well.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently reading This is Not a Love Story by Suki Fleet ... it is honestly one of the most harrowing yet beautiful books I've ever read. Can't recomend this enough.

The main protagonist is homeless and mute, in love with his best friend and protector.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score

It's old so you may have read it already, but DAIRY QUEEN and its two sequels by Catherine Gilbert Murdock are contemporaries that focus a lot on family relationships. It's one of my favorite series.

I also love I CAPTURE THE CASTLE for the family relationships.

Also old, also a favorite contemporary is Joan Bauer's HOPE WAS HERE. This focuses on several non-family relationships but a key one is the girl and her aunt, who stands in as a mother figure. It's a fun, moving read. Newbery Honor book.

I can't help but mention IF I STAY also, in case you haven't read it. Portrays very strong connections between family members (but *warning* also extremely sad!).

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE by Sara Zarr focuses a lot on the relationship between the MC and her mother.

HOW I LIVE NOW by Meg Rosoff centers on the relationship of the MC to her cousins.

THE BASIC EIGHT by Daniel Handler
THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS also possibly qualifies, as Mary said above, but the group is more disparate and it's more about their individual experiences away from each other.
For something a little bit different, Jeyn Roberts's DARK INSIDE is about a group of 4 teenagers in dystopia-land, and maybe the sequel depicts them as more of a friendship group? (Also, I've not read them but possibly the GONE books count?)

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm adding them to my list. :)

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got some recs for YA fantasy with intrigue/mystery plots?

I've only skimmed one or two books from The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima so I'm not sure it qualifies, but the whole series seems to be full of intrigue of the political kind. My teen daughter loves them.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
I've only skimmed one or two books from The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima so I'm not sure it qualifies, but the whole series seems to be full of intrigue of the political kind. My teen daughter loves them.
Looks good, thank you!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I really enjoyed that series, though it took me a bit of time to get into the first book. There's definitely some political intrigue there.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score

Anything by Hannah Moskowitz (particularly BREAK, but I seem to remember you saying you'd read that one?).

IF YOU FIND ME by Emily Murdoch has a wonderful relationship between the protective older sister and the younger.

It's not YA, sorry, but REMEMBER ME LIKE THIS by Bret Anthony Johnson is fantastic - it's about a family and how they deal when one of their children who was abducted is returned to them 3 years later. It's from the POV of the two parents, the granddad, and the 14-yr-old little brother of the abducted boy. It is so beautifully described and raw with emotion and just so good.

SHATTERING GLASS by Gail Giles - about a group of popular boys - inc the pretty-boy, the 'dumb jock', the sensitive writer-type, and the psychopathic, manipulative leader - and how their plan to turn the school nerd into a cool, popular kid unravels drastically and turns deadly when the darker intentions of one of them and the nerd's real nature collide. About the darker side of friendship, and the power friends have over each other.
I think this counts, and even if it doesn't it's 100% creepy awesomeness so read it anyway lol : BOY HEAVEN by Laura Kasischke - about three girls at summer camp and I don't want to spoil too much but it's great.

DOING IT by Melvin Burgess - about a group of British 16yrold male friends and their relationship with sex, girls and each other. Crude but so much fun (and got made into an American TV show called LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, I think).

Last edited:

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some ideas for spec fiction that is so good I won't want to put it down - it feels like ages since I've read anything that made me not want to do anything but read. Some of the books I've loved (to give you an idea) are Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments, Lauren Kate's Fallen series...ummmm...I'm sure there are others but I can't think right now. Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Violet Vixen

Official Cryptid of the Publishing World
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some ideas for spec fiction that is so good I won't want to put it down - it feels like ages since I've read anything that made me not want to do anything but read. Some of the books I've loved (to give you an idea) are Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments, Lauren Kate's Fallen series...ummmm...I'm sure there are others but I can't think right now. Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

I recently read Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver and couldn't put it down from the moment I bought it.

"For popular high school senior Samantha Kingston, February 12—"Cupid Day"—should be one big party, a day of valentines and roses and the privileges that come with being at the top of the social pyramid. And it is…until she dies in a terrible accident that night.

However, she still wakes up the next morning. In fact, Sam lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she ever imagined."

Also, have you read The Infernal Devices? They're a prequel series to Mortal Instruments, and I actually liked that series much better than Mortal Instruments. It's set in Victorian England and has some steampunk mixed in. The series is finished now so you can read them all without interruptions. the feels were real ;~;

EDIT:: Oh, and I've heard of a lovely book called Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley.

"Aza Ray is drowning in thin air.

Since she was a baby, Aza has suffered from a mysterious lung disease that makes it ever harder for her to breathe, to speak—to live.

So when Aza catches a glimpse of a ship in the sky, her family chalks it up to a cruel side effect of her medication. But Aza doesn't think this is a hallucination. She can hear someone on the ship calling her name.

Only her best friend, Jason, listens. Jason, who’s always been there. Jason, for whom she might have more-than-friendly feelings. But before Aza can consider that thrilling idea, something goes terribly wrong. Aza is lost to our world—and found, by another. Magonia.

Above the clouds, in a land of trading ships, Aza is not the weak and dying thing she was. In Magonia, she can breathe for the first time. Better, she has immense power—and as she navigates her new life, she discovers that war is coming. Magonia and Earth are on the cusp of a reckoning. And in Aza’s hands lies the fate of the whole of humanity—including the boy who loves her. Where do her loyalties lie?"

Last edited:

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Violet. Before I Fall sounds like exactly what I was looking for. I have read the Infernal Devices series but think I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy it. Think I'll also add Magonia to my read list. Thanks for the great suggestions.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
The description of Magonia had me interested until "And in Aza’s hands lies the fate of the whole of humanity". I think I'm tired of everyone's fate resting on a teenager.