Blogs with no comment discussions

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also I don't like when blogger doesn't respond to the comments - I'm a fan of active discussions (I think it refers rather to a blogger than to a blog itself).

Pulled from another topic. When I first started out, I had no idea what I was doing. I commented on other blogs, but never on my own. That has since changed and often there is a nice little back and forth that takes place.

Now, I don't hate it when bloggers don't do this, but it's nice to see some interaction.

Also, I read two posts today where people have decided to turn commenting off all together. I don't get that. What do you think?

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand turning off comments altogether. Some people may want to blog as a way of expressing themselves and getting their thoughts out in the world, and aren't ready to jump into interaction. I don't mind if that's the case.

If a blog allows comments, but the blog author never responds to them, I find it rude. The exception is if they've stated somewhere that the comment space is, for example, just for readers to play in, and that they'll be staying out of it. It depends on the nature of the blog, and I can see it working.

mjlpsu

unidentifiable food tester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boozefoodtravel.com
Depends on the comment made. I usually respond, but sometimes a comment doesn't need a response. Certainly, if the comment asks a question about something in the post, you should respond to it. Otherwise, I usually just go to that person's blog and reciprocate with a comment (also a great way to discover other blogs to follow).

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
To me, the interaction that follows a post is the best part of blogs/blogging, and often makes the difference for whether or not I return to read another post.

Unless it's someone who states they've been repeatedly harassed and that's why they've turned off commenting, I assume they aren't interested in readership, and I move on.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If I am asked a question I respond. But during periods where one of my blogs was very active and commenters were talking to each other, yeah, I did not have the time to be responding to everything.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't even notice if you can leave comments or not on most writer's blogs. Even when you can, from what I've noticed there usually aren't many, anyway. Or, the comments just seem their friends supporting their posts and aren't that interesting to anyone else.

I can see how some bloggers may have been harassed or spammed too much or just want that space to express their own views without getting into debates over them.

If it's a huge site with controversial topics, for example one of the popular news sites, that's different and I often enjoy the comments as much as the original articles. Then I look for the ones with lots of comments.

Last edited:

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for starting this thread! I'm feeling frustrated when my words go into nowhere, especially if I asked the question and blogger just ignored me. I know that comment spam is a huge problem and it takes time to clear the comments but if you leave the comment section open then you expect feedback and questions.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I treat blogging as publishing. I came to it through journalism and in journalism we have several ways of interacting with comments. I like when a reporter engages below-the-line but one of the sites I worked for had a rule: we put our words out publicly and with our names; if someone can't respond at that same level they're not worth responding to. That rule was there to keep the reporters sane. They have better things to be doing and after awhile, whatever you wrote is what you've said. Really, any sources, information, or analysis relevant to the post or story should be in the post or story. Backing it up in an endless war of words with the great anonymous of the internet is pointless. Think what you think. I'm not there to change that, just show you what I've found.

Blogging is often more informal, of course. If I put a post out and someone responds to expand the topic I definitely will interact back. Partly manners, partly I just want to foster conversation and learn from others. If someone's just there to argue, he's gone. I will block commenters and wield the ban hammer very, very quickly. Free dialogue on the internet is not a greater cause than someone's emotional well-being, including my own. Interact properly or commenting very quickly become a privilege I'm not willing to extend.

The other thing to remember about comments is that a host site can be held liable for publishing them. A lot of mainstream media orgs disable comments on hard news articles for this reason. When the Canadian government was trying to decide whether to repatriate Omar Khadr from Guantanamo Bay some of the comments on CBC were vile. If someone sued the commenter for libel, the CBC is going to get named in that suit.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride

Pulled from another topic. When I first started out, I had no idea what I was doing. I commented on other blogs, but never on my own. That has since changed and often there is a nice little back and forth that takes place.

Now, I don't hate it when bloggers don't do this, but it's nice to see some interaction.

Also, I read two posts today where people have decided to turn commenting off all together. I don't get that. What do you think?

Depends on the comment made. I usually respond, but sometimes a comment doesn't need a response. Certainly, if the comment asks a question about something in the post, you should respond to it. Otherwise, I usually just go to that person's blog and reciprocate with a comment (also a great way to discover other blogs to follow).

I treat blogging as publishing. I came to it through journalism and in journalism we have several ways of interacting with comments. I like when a reporter engages below-the-line but one of the sites I worked for had a rule: we put our words out publicly and with our names; if someone can't respond at that same level they're not worth responding to. That rule was there to keep the reporters sane. They have better things to be doing and after awhile, whatever you wrote is what you've said. Really, any sources, information, or analysis relevant to the post or story should be in the post or story. Backing it up in an endless war of words with the great anonymous of the internet is pointless. Think what you think. I'm not there to change that, just show you what I've found.

Blogging is often more informal, of course. If I put a post out and someone responds to expand the topic I definitely will interact back. Partly manners, partly I just want to foster conversation and learn from others. If someone's just there to argue, he's gone. I will block commenters and wield the ban hammer very, very quickly. Free dialogue on the internet is not a greater cause than someone's emotional well-being, including my own. Interact properly or commenting very quickly become a privilege I'm not willing to extend.

What a timely thread. Mostly because when I logged on to my pc last night this was waiting for me in my blog comments:

Something I’ve always wanted to say; you are a racist fuck. The worst kind of hater.

I have that effect on people. It's a gift. :Shrug:

Like VeryBigBeard, I come at blogging from a journalism background and among my gigs was as both a columnist and an op-ed page writer. I've been ripped from ass to appetite by experts, so when I take incoming from a troll, I usually shrug it off. Hey, thanks for bumping up my site stats and have an ordinary day as you are obviously thinking about me far more than I have ever thought about you.

I do understand why bloggers turn off their comments section. There are a lot of mouth-breathers and knuckle-draggers who seek out material to go ballistic over and I usually don't fail to diappoint. I have strong opinions and I state them strongly and firmly because I'm willing to take the slings and arrows that come with it. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

I don't mind someone who challenges my perspectives as long as they bring something to the party other than F-bombs and vitriol. I can't use that, but criticism with some thought behind it which nails the weakness and flaws of my viewpoint are extremely useful. Writers need critics because they remind us where we come up short.

I try to acknowledge comments when I can, but I come up short sometimes. It simply polite to acknowledge someone when they've taken the time out to say something about something I've written.

The funny thing about this particular F-bomber? I know who it is. They are an Absolute Write member, albeit one who hasn't posted on the board since 2013, but apparently I made quite the impression.

Never said it was a good one.

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com

Something I’ve always wanted to say; you are a racist fuck. The worst kind of hater.

I have that effect on people. It's a gift. :Shrug:

See, that made me want to go see what all the fuss was about. So he just helped you get one more visitor to your site. What a helpful commenter :)

Syrup

Real Life Magical Girl
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of mouth-breathers and knuckle-draggers who seek out material to go ballistic over and I usually don't fail to diappoint.

This is 100% why I don't mind places with no comment section. I wish larger outlets would start turning them off like Popular Science did. I've seen enough garbage comments slung at me to make me wonder why we're so adamant about preserving comment sections when they so often devolve to petty harassment. How often do we get anything of value from reading them?

As for smaller blogs, I don't have much of an opinion. It's important for recipe and craft blogs so you can ask questions and give feedback I guess, but statistics show that the majority of blog readers don't ever (or rarely) comment. Other bloggers are taught to comment as a way to build/engage with readership, so maybe that's where some of the strong thoughts on this come from? I don't know. On blogs with larger followings, the comments are mostly "great post!" "thanks for sharing!" type comments more so than actual discussions and I really don't get the point.

I also can't get behind the mentality that the author not responding is rude simply because I think it's a courtesy if a person decides to take time to respond; expecting or insisting on an answer is entitled and rude in itself.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, that made me want to go see what all the fuss was about. So he just helped you get one more visitor to your site. What a helpful commenter :)

That's the way I saw it. If they hate you then you must be doing something right.

This is 100% why I don't mind places with no comment section. I wish larger outlets would start turning them off like Popular Science did. I've seen enough garbage comments slung at me to make me wonder why we're so adamant about preserving comment sections when they so often devolve to petty harassment. How often do we get anything of value from reading them?

As for smaller blogs, I don't have much of an opinion. It's important for recipe and craft blogs so you can ask questions and give feedback I guess, but statistics show that the majority of blog readers don't ever (or rarely) comment. Other bloggers are taught to comment as a way to build/engage with readership, so maybe that's where some of the strong thoughts on this come from? I don't know. On blogs with larger followings, the comments are mostly "great post!" "thanks for sharing!" type comments more so than actual discussions and I really don't get the point.

I also can't get behind the mentality that the author not responding is rude simply because I think it's a courtesy if a person decides to take time to respond; expecting or insisting on an answer is entitled and rude in itself.

I can't disagree with you, Syrup, and you're right most responses that are praises don't go beyond a "great job" or "attaboy" and while that's cool and I do appreciate the input, the criticisms are often very specific about what it is they disliked.

As for the trolls, depending on my mood, I'll simply delete them out of existence and let them rant. It makes me look magnanimous while they look like morons. :D