Curious about your thoughts on author interviews.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, when you go to a blog and read an author interview do you prefer a long in-depth type of deal (like 15 Q&A) or a shorter one (like 3-4 Q&A)?

I've been going back and forth. Right now I'm leaning to the shorter one. My reasoning is that with a shorter on, people usually read all of it while in a longer one, people are more likely to skim.

What are your thoughts?

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it depends on the author. If the person is humourous and engaging - then I love a long interview! I think balance is also important. A good balance between writing related questions, the books and the author's life.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more likely to read a long interview with an author I already know. Therefore, if the point of the interview is to publicize the author, then a short one with questions aimed at getting me to buy the book are best. But if the point is to get publicity for your blog by interviewing someone well known, then a longer one that gives me insight into the author's mind is better.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
For me, it's all about the quality of the questions. If it's the usual boring questions (where do you get your ideas? groaaaannn) I'll skim no matter how short the interview is, but give me interesting questions and you'll keep me reading: I love the Scottish Book Trust's author confessions series for their weird and blunt questions, like "Have you ever said no to sex because you wanted to keep writing?". And author Tatum Flynn does fun middle grade interviews with questions like "What would your daemon be?".

Last edited:

rchapman1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritaleechapman.com
Hi Southpaw - yes, lefties are always right!
I have a guest author spot on my website www.ritaleechapman.com. I provide them with some questions, tell them to choose the ones that interest them and to feel free to expand. Last week I had the author of biker books, Pamela Murdaugh-Smith and this week I have Victoria Zigler, a children's author, so the answers are usually very different.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Southpaw - yes, lefties are always right!
:)

I have a guest author spot on my website www.ritaleechapman.com. I provide them with some questions, tell them to choose the ones that interest them and to feel free to expand. Last week I had the author of biker books, Pamela Murdaugh-Smith and this week I have Victoria Zigler, a children's author, so the answers are usually very different.

That's a nice idea. I'm checking out your site now.

SamjBowden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samuelbowden.com
It depends on how specific the questions are, and the topic. You could probably get a lot more answers from someone at NASA if you are writing about the moon, compared to if you were writing about cell phones and asked a verizon clerk.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
It really depends on the questions and the nature and degree of my interest in both the author, their work, and the interview. I can't care less about questions like "When did you start writing" or "Do you have a message for your readers", so while my attention span prefers the interview to end at Potato, I would rather read something in-depth if it's interesting, than the usual "When did you learn you had to write?" stuff.
After that fateful Grey's Anatomy episode, I read a very long interview with Patrick Dempsey, with great interest, and I don't think a short one with the usual "How do you feel about this/What now/What about your fans" shorties would have been satisfactory given the circumstances.
When I'm deeply fascinated or emotionall involved with a work of fiction, I want detail.

jae_s1978

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how long and engaging the answers are. Overall, I'd say I prefer a middle ground--not just 3 or 4 questions, but 15 might be too much for me on most days.