• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Raison

Registered
Reaction score
It's quite nice to see that my writing style has improved during my WIP. I'm now doing a first edit, and I need to change a lot more in the first half than in the second half. My voice has become more consistent, I use a lot less adverbs...

Quite good progress for a beginner! :D
I've noticed the same is true for me.

Unfortunately, I'm having issues with motivation today.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Wifi on the fritz, not good when using google drive and fancying some editing tonight darnit.

And how can a setting on my notebook interfere with my smartfone access? Considering buying a new bottle of ink for my rusty old pen...

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My voice has become more consistent, I use a lot less adverbs...

Your comment strikes a chord with me.

On voice . . . I've been told that my WIP has an inconsistent voice (sometimes it's serious and other times silly/jokey), so I've struggled to make it more consistent. I get into the trouble because I'm like that in real life, so it seeps into my WIP’s characters.

On adverbs . . . I know the trend is to avoid adverbs, but I really struggle with it because often I can't figure out how to convey the same meaning as concisely. For example, I can say "he smiled sadly" or "she said petulantly." If I dropped the adverbs, I'd have to use more words to get the same image across, which goes against my desire to be economical.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, someone suggested writing out by hand to me to help stop my font changing thing that I have. I really don't know how I feel about it. It's been a while, like a long while since I hand wrote a story. And even when I did, like an actual story, not an idea, I can't remember if I really liked it or not; I don't think I did.

But that could have been due to the fact that it was easier to delete/erase on my computer than with pen(or pencil) and paper. Hahaha. :D

leversandpulleys

Thick Fish; Learning About New skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Tonight? I'm trying to find the blinking EXIT sign, but it's tough to see much through the fire and smoke when you're in Query Letter Hell. ;)

Craig

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
Tonight? I'm trying to find the blinking EXIT sign, but it's tough to see much through the fire and smoke when you're in Query Letter Hell. ;)

Craig

Follow The Critters, they will show you the way.

*Snip Snip* That's the sound of the editing shears going to town.
EDITED TO ADD:
Woot, 4 chappies edited, only 16 to go!
Also, has anyone read a fantasy novel where the supernatural types use modern technology?

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I'm debating if I should spilt my WIPs into chapters. Granted, these are just first drafts. But still. It's something to think about I think. Truthfully, that's probably why I'm thinking about it. It's the first draft. Haha.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh. Oh gosh, I'm so excited. I just suddenly I realized why everything in the climactic fight I've been trying for weeks to write felt so wrong and so forced and so awful - and that one very small change will fix almost all of it! I love epiphanies :)

MissyLaRae

Total Newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What's on my mind about writing:

Why do I have to have such bad ADD and why can't I just stick to one story at a time.

I seriously have way too many voices urging me to write this, do that, and I'm not at all certain that I want to shut any of them up.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
What's on my mind about writing:

Why do I have to have such bad ADD and why can't I just stick to one story at a time.

I seriously have way too many voices urging me to write this, do that, and I'm not at all certain that I want to shut any of them up.

You are not alone.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
On my mind:

Can I really handle all six subplots on this book the way I and and my publisher have hashed it out over the last two months? This is such a complicated project, I just hope I've remembered to save all the comments (which are book-length in themselves) and put this huge puzzle together. It's seems almost impossible. I'm so afraid of painting myself into a plot corner somewhere and not getting myself out without ruining the book.

tri

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
My question of the day: Is MiP really as good as I think it is?

'Cuz I'm liking the hell out of it today . . .

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
FINALLY a way out of my stuck spot . . . maybe. I'm still thinking on it, but while I think I am able to write words again. All the rest remains chaos. Too many books in limbo, too much on my mind, and a wonderful wedding to get to.

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts today:

I actually think this story has some potential and that my writing is- slowly - improving. It's a good day. =)

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear, the work insanity has begun. I've got another job to juggle next Monday, plus the writing samples still need to be sent for the third job I've landed in the last month. Why is it always feast or famine? Or is that just in my overly dramatic world?

On the creative writing front, the constant interruptions are not helping. I'm being sucked into a work vortex from which I may never return...

TimSenese

Registered
Reaction score
Polishing up my lingering projects now. Feels good! Next step, I need to work on self-marketing and spreading what I've written. That seems like that hard part to me; it's intimidating.

scribofelidae

New(ish) kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribofelidae.wordpress.com
Getting ready to head back to the contract job for the next three months, which will put my current routine into free fall.

But, you know what? It's been in free fall already. January and February, which were not total washes (no matter what the insidious inner critic might be whispering in my ear) I could use a little external structure. I'd not entirely stalled on my revisions, but I had let the size of the job overwhelm me. I moped on Twitter, got some good advice from some buddies, and I'm now just looking at what I can do today, no matter how small, and every day.

After the contract is over, we'll see where I am then.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
This a.m., real early, I'm talking five a.m. maybe, I had my joe and read the online paper, then pulled up my WIP and started writing. Then off I went for a day of fun, now here I am again, omg, those poor kids with that monster. I have to write this and it's difficult for me because I love those two boys.

Is that crazy or what? Maybe I should start a thread. Wait, been there, done that.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
What's on my mind is that I need to stop feeling sorry for myself. Yes, my first-draft sucks. Yes, I'm making mistakes. Yes, I have to go back over the last 4,000 words and repair everything I messed up during a fit of depression ("Umm.. this determined negativity isn't your MC, honey... it's you.") so that I can get to the climax and finish the damned story.

But... Wait, where was I? Optimism? What's that again? *headdesk*