Kissing Scene Quandary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
I am doing edits on my current WIP. It is a regency romance. Near the end of the book, there is a scene where the heroine wakes up after having been injured and knocked unconscious. The hero initially thought she was going to die and is in a pretty emotional state. He has stayed by her bedside throughout.

When she wakes up, the morning after the accident, she exchanges a few lines of dialogue with the hero and when she sees what a mess he is she initiates a kiss. It isn't anything hot and heavy. More of a tender kiss. Does this seem strange to anyone???

In the original draft, they exchanged only a four lines of dialogue before they kissed, but now I am thinking they should talk a little more. The problem is the rhythm seems strange if I pad out the scene too much with more action and dialogue (I don't know if that makes sense).

I remember a scene in a Julie Garwood book - The Secret - where the heroine is unconscious and when she comes to, she and the hero have passionate sex. This always seemed sort of odd to me considering she had been unconscious and bleeding only moments before. Anyway, I don't want my scene to seem odd or bizarre.

Any feedback would be great.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Don't stress out about it! You're overthinking this.

If the heroine just went through an ordeal (and so did the hero) the first thing I'd expect them to do is kiss. The fact that it's not hot or sexy, more tender, makes sense as well.

Kisses aren't inherently sexual or hot, after all. Sometimes they're just sweet and loving.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about, like... morning breath, lol (this is a conversation I've had with another AWer recently)

But what kind of kiss are we talking here? Relieved, tender, comforting, grateful? In that case, a brief kiss and an embrace might be more fitting.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Don't stress out about it! You're overthinking this.

If the heroine just went through an ordeal (and so did the hero) the first thing I'd expect them to do is kiss. The fact that it's not hot or sexy, more tender, makes sense as well.

Kisses aren't inherently sexual or hot, after all. Sometimes they're just sweet and loving.

I'd be more worried about, like... morning breath, lol (this is a conversation I've had with another AWer recently)

But what kind of kiss are we talking here? Relieved, tender, comforting, grateful? In that case, a brief kiss and an embrace might be more fitting.

Thanks ViridianChick and Kallithrix! The hero says something poignant to the heroine and she kisses him. The kiss is tender, sweet, and reassuring. It does not last long, but neither is it just a peck, and it is the hero who pulls away for fear of hurting the heroine.

As far as morning breath, in historical romances, it is amazing how few people have bad breath - morning or otherwise.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
As far as morning breath, in historical romances, it is amazing how few people have bad breath - morning or otherwise.

I know! It's one of those things I just try to forget about, along with bad hygiene in general...

And I'll never be able to watch Gone With the Wind the same way again since I heard somewhere that Clark Gable had terrible halitosis... lol

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
I know! It's one of those things I just try to forget about, along with bad hygiene in general...

And I'll never be able to watch Gone With the Wind the same way again since I heard somewhere that Clark Gable had terrible halitosis... lol
I've heard that too! I believe he had dentures or something.

SnowyWinters

Just the Right amount of Wrong
Registered
Reaction score
This seems perfectly reasonable to me. She has made it through the night and is still alive, so of course there is relief and joy along with all the worry.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Kisses are traditionally not just for lovers wanting to get their groove on; they are an indication of general affection. I think it sounds perfectly natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.