Paranormal Romance Recomendations (Specific)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
I saw someone else try this, and that person received good responses, so I'll think I try. It may be quicker than searching through thousands of titles. I'm looking for a specific kind of story within paranormal romance.

I want to read a shifter romance that contains the following:

• Male-Female Pairing
  • Both Partners Shifters, Born Or Turned
  • No Polyamory Or Infidelity
  • No Prominent Love Triangle
  • Dominant Male Lead
  • Non-Bitchy But Strong Female Lead
  • Pregnancy And Birth (Optional)
  • Alternate Universe/Realm (Optional)
I would prefer a story in which the male lead doesn't shy away from the relationship in order to protect the female lead in some way ("We cannot be together! It's too dangerous!"). Same for the female lead. It sounds noble and all, but if there are risks to their pairing, let them be taken, I say! :D I like healthy jealousy, too.

For some reason, I feel like this should be easy to find, but it's difficult. I've read several shifter romances and enjoyed many of them, but I can't seem to find that perfect one I'm looking for. I think what turns me off of some that are close are characters I can't relate to, so if you don't mind, give me a little bit about each lead (sentence or two) that can help me decide whether I would be taken with them or not.

I hope I'm not asking too much. I'd be lucky if an author saw this post and declared: "I wrote the book you're looking for!" Thank you for any assistance in advance.

P.S. Is there a more appropriate area to ask for recommendations?

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Well...I have a two-book series that pretty much meets all your criteria, including the alternate universe request. Between the two books, there are three planets as settings. It's called Dragon's Light and you can find it by clicking the BookStrand or Amazon links in my signature. :)

The first book, Runaway Heart, features a princess who defies her father and sneaks off-planet with a stranger. She has no idea she's fallen right into the arms of another king. She isn't a shifter, but the male MC is a dragon shifter. She's pregnant in the second book.

The second book, Unchained Heart, follows the brother of the male MC from the first book. Both the female MC and the male MC are dragon shifters, though she doesn't realize she has that capability until near the end. She's a dragon egg hunter and agrees to help the male MC in a daring raid, even though it could easily mean her death.

Okay, my shameless self-promotion is over. I'll just go stand in the corner now.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
I prefer her Psy-Changeling pairs, but some of Nalini Singh's romances would probably fit your bill:

Branded by Fire
"When a brilliant changeling researcher is kidnapped, DarkRiver sentinel Mercy, a cat, and SnowDancer lieutenant Riley, a wolf, must work together to track the young man-before his shadowy captors decide he's no longer useful. Along the way, the two dominants may find that submitting to one another uncovers not just a deadly conspiracy, but a passion so raw that it'll leave them both branded by fire"

Play of Passion
"Lieutenant Indigo Riviere doesn't easily allow skin privileges, especially of the sensual kind- and the last person she expects to find herself craving is the most wickedly playful male in the den. Everything she knows tells her to pull back before the flames burn them both to ash... but she hasn't counted on Drew's will. Now, two of SnowDancer's most stubborn wolves find themselves playing a hot, sexy game even as lethal danger stalks the very place they call home."

There's also Tangle of Need, but that one sort off has a love triangle (well more a mating bond vs. love thing...)

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
It makes me so happy to see you're looking for this specific kind of story BG! I'm writing one with werewolves. Unfortunately, it's deep in the editing vortex and won't see the light of day until next year.

Beachgirl, I love the idea of off planet dragon shifters. *click* TBR list just got longer! :)

Oh, and I second Nalini Singh for just about anything. I love her Psy-Changeling and Guild Hunter series.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Another vote for "Yay, someone wants this!" :)

I'm working on a story called Entwined that has a Naga hero and an (unknown to her until part way through the book) turned-Naga heroine.

BLURB: (May change, of course)

Once bitten, twice shy…

Roselba Torez has it all: brains, beauty, and suitors begging for her hand. Yet she dreams of adventures beyond the castle walls. Of journeys with her father that came to an abrupt end after her disastrous first meeting with her Intended.

Five years ago Naga Prince Lorcan Alcardo was placed under a powerful curse. By day he is a man; by night a snake. He is trapped between worlds, unable to take his natural form.

When Lorcan rescues Roselba from slave traders five years later, the two begin a perilous journey to set things right. Some girls have to kiss a few frogs to find their prince. Roselba needs to kiss a snake--if she can forgive him for biting her the first time they met.

Moving on from the shameless self promotion:

Dark Possession by Christine Feehan features Manolito (one of her Carpathian heroes) and a woman named MaryAnne who does not realize that she is a werewolf. I recall quite liking their story. To be fair, the Carpathians are kinda tied into vampire mythos, but they can shapeshift and because of MaryAnne's situation this particular book is rather unique.

Bad Moon Rising by Sherrilyn Kenyone is about were-hunters Aimee (a bear) and Fang (a wolf). I still haven't read this one yet, but I like both characters from what I've seen of them in the previous Dark Hunter / Were-Hunter novels so I'm pretty sure it should be worth a look.

Outside of those I'm currently drawing a blank. But that just tells me how much we need more shifter romance--and IMHO a wider diversity of shifter romance--in the world. :)

BTW, Beachgirl: I'll definitely have to check your books out. I love the idea of someone falling in love with a dragon. (Not the first I've seen, but definitely not such a common shifter type.)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Some of Shelley Laurenston's Pride series probably fit this bill. Beast Behaving Badly would be one. Laurenston has a very different voice than a lot of paranormal romance - the stories are more chaotic than sweet, but there are some hilarious moments on top of decent steaminess.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
You might try some Jessica Sims books. She writes some darned sexy shifter novels, and out of the ones I've read so far, I believe all of them are shifter/shifter M/F pairings. I haven't read this one in particular, but if you want to give her a shot it looks like SINGLE WOLF FEMALE is currently a freebie on Kindle.

Alice Savage needs an alpha – any alpha – to prevent her pack from being usurped by the lecherous Roscoe. As a last resort, she signs up for the Midnight Liaisons dating service, never expecting that she’d find the alpha she seeks. She certainly didn’t expect Jackson Wilder, a laid back, sexy-as-sin outsider who claims to be an alpha.

But Alice has a problem that most female wolf alphas don’t — she’s a virgin. And the female alpha of a wolf pack always belongs to a male alpha. Luckily for her, Jackson’s utterly gorgeous and willing to take things slow. But is he alpha enough to help her save her pack…or is he too easy-going to be the man she needs?

This is a novella in the Midnight Liaisons shifter series and can be read as a stand alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.