First Nonfic Attempt

CheddarBug

Registered
Reaction score
I've an idea to write about something near and dear to my heart. But I'm not 100% sure what to include in the book. I figure a brief history of the country is in order and as much information as I can gather on the animal in question (about conservation).

Now I do plan to contact the organization/conservation group involved; aside from their history and perhaps personal stories (should they agree to the idea) is there anything else to include?

There are no books about this specific cause, I've checked. And despite all their efforts to get word out they're struggling. I'd really like to write this piece, but nonfiction (at least writing it) is new to me. Therefore any tips would be greatly appreciated. On that note, is submitting nonfiction work the same as fiction?

Thanks!!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For starters, I suggest getting some books as close to it as possible. Study the common denominators and what you think works and what doesn't, how they're laid out, proportions of different aspects, and so on. Good luck!

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am afraid your question is a little vague for me to make any suggestions. A "case" that involves a country and an animal?

And non-fiction is generally submitted by proposal plus three chapters.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
You didn't say whether this was a book or an article. Have you contacted the World Wildlife Fund? They are international. I am curious about the animal. If it is endangered and mostly unknown your work could be very helpful. Good luck

CheddarBug

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to say "cause". Typing things out on my phone at work, that's what I get. I suppose looking at other books might help, just a matter of finding something similar to what I want to do. I'm not entirely sure the World Wildlife Fund will be of much help. The animal in question isnt considered important by most, as suggested by the struggle to get any sort of help. Thank you for answering my questions. Looks like a trip to the library. If anyone knows of potentially helpful books please feel free to share. :)

susangpyp

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure what you're trying to do--a book? an article? get an agent? publish traditionally? self publish? It would be easier to help if we knew what your goals were.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Sorry, I meant to say "cause". Typing things out on my phone at work, that's what I get. I suppose looking at other books might help, just a matter of finding something similar to what I want to do. I'm not entirely sure the World Wildlife Fund will be of much help. The animal in question isnt considered important by most, as suggested by the struggle to get any sort of help. Thank you for answering my questions. Looks like a trip to the library. If anyone knows of potentially helpful books please feel free to share. :)

I'd start by looking for the animal on the IUCN's Red List. I haven't got a clue from your vague description of the taxon, but you might be surprised by the depth of concern for the conservation of non-charismatic non-megafauna.

I know you're looking for an idea of how books on similar topics are structured, but a text on orangutan conservation is going to have a different set up from a text on the Banff spring snail, and both will be different from one about the helmeted honeyeater. All I can suggest is reading widely.

CheddarBug

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people can't figure out what I'm trying to write. It clearly says in my first post that I'm planning a book.

And considering the woman running the conservation efforts pays for most things out of pocket...they need help and aren't getting it despite all their best efforts. They have a Twitter account, FaceBook page, and a personal website. They've contacted their local government without much help. Only late last year did they manage to get a step in the right direction, but considering the gene pool is so limited it may be too late.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Have you secured cooperation of the woman running the conservation effort? Because if there's such little support, it might be difficult to get enough material for a book.

I suggest you read some of David Quammen's works -- both his articles and books, esp. Song of the Dodo -- for some ideas on nature writing.

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
Besides the advice others have given, I suggest you read books on other very specific animal conservation projects, even if they are of more "charismatic" species. Some examples:

The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird by Bruce Barcott

Jaguar: One Man's Struggle To Establish The World's First Jaguar Preserve by Alan Rabinowitz

The Secret World of Red Wolves: The Fight to Save North America's Other Wolf by T. DeLene Beeland

As a wildlife photographer (not a professional, but a very serious hobbyist with a book in the works), I am curious as to what species is in question. If it is a bird (anywhere in the world), or if it is in Latin America, the Southwest US, or Egypt, there is a small chance I might be able to suggest some additional resources. Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you don't want to divulge the specifics publicly.