Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
My first acceptance!!! Innsmouth Free Press wants to purchase my story "Notrees"! With the story's word count, it comes in at just under semi-pro pay, but at least it's a paying market and a really cool magazine!

Whoa! And it's a great market, too. Congratulations, and savor it. You only get one first sale. Of course, there's the first PRO sale that gets you into SFWA, andthe first time you see your name in a TOC, and in a good review... Come to think, you got lots of firsts to look forward to.

Me, I got a second: "The Choir Invisible" (which went through Critters as "The Robot Who Almost Passed the Turing Test") got picked up by Kasma, after making the rounds, with a couple of revisions, for a year. You know, every once in a while you run into an editor who groks what you are trying to do, and it's a wonderful experience when it happens. I guess that's what I am really here to brag about - second sales to very competitive publications; Kasma is the third such.

And a critique came from OTP for an old R: loved the writing, bogged down in the plot. I can live with that. I can especially live with the critique's similarity to:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Reject.html

Now you see why I put it in Braggage?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I most certainly am savoring it, and especially feeling the momentum it generates. I'm looking forward to all the firsts and even the hard work it will take to get to each of them.

loldoc, having something in common with Le Guin is always a bragging right.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
It seems my fifth story just got published; it's also the first non-flash piece to make it and the first that's not horror. The best part? (Well, okay, they're all great parts, but one of them?) It's the oldest thing I have on submission, and it's been rejected no less than seven times, some of them quite scathing. Eighth shot's the charm!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It seems my fifth story just got published; it's also the first non-flash piece to make it and the first that's not horror. The best part? (Well, okay, they're all great parts, but one of them?) It's the oldest thing I have on submission, and it's been rejected no less than seven times, some of them quite scathing. Eighth shot's the charm!
Oh? Where did it get published? And congrats! :)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Well, that retroactive name change may not have happened yet but I DID manage to snap my rejection string. :)

"A Minor God of Mischief" sold to Kazka Press as part of their February Flash Fiction Call. If things go as they did in prior months the story should be live for you all to read on 3/1.

I had a lot of fun taking my first draft concept and completely redrafting it. It was nice to have it pay off with a sale, as well!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that retroactive name change may not have happened yet but I DID manage to snap my rejection string. :)

"A Minor God of Mischief" sold to Kazka Press as part of their February Flash Fiction Call. If things go as they did in prior months the story should be live for you all to read on 3/1.

I had a lot of fun taking my first draft concept and completely redrafting it. It was nice to have it pay off with a sale, as well!

Congratulations!!! This is what, your third story with them? They may have to rename the zine into "Michael Haynes Press" :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woo Hoo!!!

Nat and Michael!

You haz Sheepz :D

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

Status
Not open for further replies.