Not open for further replies.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
So off topic i'm on another continent.

Ooo, I just came across SuperBetter, be your own super hero in your own game of life.

I think I want to be,... super writer.

Hmm, need to work on that. I figured some folks would find it useful.

Sorry, back to your usual program...

I've been using HabitRPG for a while now, same general idea. Make a character and set goals, habits, and daily events you need to work towards, earn money for rewards you set for yourself (or gear you can buy), fight monsters by doing your dailies and goals... it's been a great motivator for me (It's got a collect-a-thon aspect to it with pets and mounts. I am addicted to collect-a-thons, so it does the trick for me.)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question. Predictably I'm going to say "yes and no". I don't think I've ever written a standard-issue Big Manly Hero Guy, my guys tend to be more magically-inclined, or thinkers, or straight out cheats and liars. On the other hand, nearly all my female leads are supernatural in some way, demons or angels or mythological beings. Not really sure why, now that I think about it.

You lost me with the last point (sorry must have missed your earlier post) - what's a UST single character?

UST = Unresolved Sexual Tension.

Where did I put that soapbox? Oh, there it is.....

:Soapbox:

Lookit, next month I turn forty nine. I've been married since I was nineteen years old, which means I've been part of a couple nearly twice as long as I was ever single (and most of that single time I was a kid). While I enjoy the idea of a single character and the whole "boy meets girl, sparks fly, kissing and hugging, followed by wild passionate he-ing and she-ing" dynamic, I feel, as a married person, I am under-represented.

Married couples, bonded couples, they can be sexy, too. It's a different kind of sexy, granted, but it's still fun. Nobody is writing that anymore. Dashiell Hammett did it brilliantly with the Thin Man, Nick and Nora were gorgeous characters. But can you think of any other examples? I can't, not in books (I can think of a couple of movies, but only a few).

You know that old saw: if you want to read it and nobody else is doing it, that means it's on you to write it. That's how I landed in this mess. I write bonded pairs, almost exclusively. It's what I want to see, it's a dynamic I love.

That's what I was referring to so clumsily: this is my obsession.

Okay, the soapbox is safely tucked under the porch, I can go back to my original plans: sleep! (I only got two hours of sleep last night, I need a nap!)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Oh I see, got you! I'm in much the same place, 43 years old and happily married for 20 of them.

That said, I still write UST (got it now!) a lot. A *lot*.

So yeah, *you* write it ;)

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Honestly, I don't consciously try to make any character be a specific way. I try to just let the characters tell me who they are when they come to me and I let them do what they want to do and react how they want to react. They all have their own different strengths and weaknesses and none of them are perfect. I just feel like, if it takes all sorts of people to create a world, then it takes all sorts of characters to create a story.

I agree. In one of the projects I have on the back burner and I really need a bigger back burner eek one of the (female) characters is...not what I usually write. She's quiet, lacking in confidence, and doesn't know how to stand up for herself. But that's who she is, and it doesn't make her less of a person or a character. I quite like her, and I have a great deal of sympathy for her given what her arc is.

Agreed. I think too often people discount emotional strength. A character doesn't need to be physically strong or be the leader of the group to be a strong character. It's comes down to making hard choices, etc. Obvious (male) example: Neville Longbottom.

Also concur (reason #456 why I love Neville).

I did it, I hit *send*! wibble

:e2woo:

Shiny? Sequins?? WHERE?!

-ehem- sorry.

Hello, Cantina! EFB, I can commiserate on computer/internet issues. Among other things, it appears a bunch of missives I have emailed over the past 2-3 weeks with attachments or anything longer than two paragraphs - two paragraphs, HA! - did not go through. And now lost somewhere in cyberspace. It's like cyberspace for socks. Or something.

Ugh. Deepest sympathies. Lately I've taken to cc-ing myself just so I can see that something's gone through.

Anyhoo, other than that, it's the weekend! Yah! That means more editing of zee final draft...Yaaa--er, um, well. Whoohoo.

:e2cheer:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Ugh. Deepest sympathies. Lately I've taken to cc-ing myself just so I can see that something's gone through.

Oh yes, I always do that as well since I discovered putting a read receipt on mails trips certain spam filters and causes the mail to get eaten at the other end.

Now I... I haven't got a deadline anymore! Well not until my edits come back anyway, when it'll no doubt be all hands to the pumps again for a few weeks.

Time to crack on with book 2 then :)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Lookit, next month I turn forty nine. I've been married since I was nineteen years old, which means I've been part of a couple nearly twice as long as I was ever single (and most of that single time I was a kid). While I enjoy the idea of a single character and the whole "boy meets girl, sparks fly, kissing and hugging, followed by wild passionate he-ing and she-ing" dynamic, I feel, as a married person, I am under-represented.

Married couples, bonded couples, they can be sexy, too. It's a different kind of sexy, granted, but it's still fun. Nobody is writing that anymore. Dashiell Hammett did it brilliantly with the Thin Man, Nick and Nora were gorgeous characters. But can you think of any other examples? I can't, not in books (I can think of a couple of movies, but only a few).

You know that old saw: if you want to read it and nobody else is doing it, that means it's on you to write it. That's how I landed in this mess. I write bonded pairs, almost exclusively. It's what I want to see, it's a dynamic I love.

That's what I was referring to so clumsily: this is my obsession.

Okay, the soapbox is safely tucked under the porch, I can go back to my original plans: sleep! (I only got two hours of sleep last night, I need a nap!)

1000% agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I love tension, but I also like seeing couples form and grow. It's one of the (few) things I dislike about (some) comics: the hero/heroine can never be married/in a long-term relationship. Carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders is exhausting. Sharing the burden is necessary. Heck, a hero/heroine who has a strong, supporting partner is down-right sexy.

Speaking of which, today is a day for making words.

Afternoon, gang.

Whut up?

tianaluthien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
1000% agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I love tension, but I also like seeing couples form and grow. It's one of the (few) things I dislike about (some) comics: the hero/heroine can never be married/in a long-term relationship. Carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders is exhausting. Sharing the burden is necessary. Heck, a hero/heroine who has a strong, supporting partner is down-right sexy.

This is one thing I love so much about Castle. They finally got together. And then they finally got married. And the scriptwriters actually understand that this does not negate sexy. It's brilliant.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
We call this reason number five million that I lurve the Kate Daniels series so hard. She's part of a couple several books, their friends are couples and they still do the (badass) thing. It's awesome.

My current favorite character I'm writing about is single. She's pretty insecure. She's found ways to cope with the decisions she's made even though they aren't glamorous. I'm still getting to know her though.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is one thing I love so much about Castle. They finally got together. And then they finally got married. And the scriptwriters actually understand that this does not negate sexy. It's brilliant.

RIGHT?!

The will-they-won't-they can only last oh-so long before I grow weary. But putting those two together, and writing them as a REAL couple, has added new life to the show. They work because they compliment one another and that, more than anything, is the key to a successfully written pair.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Don't get me wrong, S&S rocks for the right reader, and total props to you for even thinking about writing it. Nowadays I struggle with straight Tolkienesque high fantasy; no way could I write about big swords and mighty thews.
I'm sort of the opposite there in that I seem to gravitate towards Tolkienesque high fantasy. I'm not sure what mighty thews are, but my first WIP has big swords and bows and arrows and elves (lots of elves) and stuff like that. I am trying very hard not to be a total Tolkien copy cat, though. Like, I refuse to use hobbits/halflings because I hold great respect for the good Professor and I feel like hobbits belonged to him, plus I want to include some other mythological creatures that he didn't use.

I'm not married yet, but I'm totally with you there. I get tired of seeing things where married couples stop having any major spark between them. Therefore, although the MC of my aforementioned WIP is single, I do have at least one side character so far who is married and I've decided to portray him and his wife as being quite affectionate with each other. Lol, one time their affections even cause a slight awkward moment for my MC, poor thing.:tongue

ETA: Gotta love Castle! Those two are such a great couple!

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I've been using HabitRPG for a while now, same general idea. Make a character and set goals, habits, and daily events you need to work towards, earn money for rewards you set for yourself (or gear you can buy), fight monsters by doing your dailies and goals... it's been a great motivator for me (It's got a collect-a-thon aspect to it with pets and mounts. I am addicted to collect-a-thons, so it does the trick for me.)

Ooo, interesting. I note that SuperBetter uses the word 'epic' a lot. There's a word I shall never have on my delete list.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
We call this reason number five million that I lurve the Kate Daniels series so hard. She's part of a couple several books, their friends are couples and they still do the (badass) thing. It's awesome.

Ha, I also thought about Kate Daniels through this discussion. And there is still plenty of tension in spite of them being together—just like real life!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I also thought about Kate Daniels through this discussion. And there is still plenty of tension in spite of them being together—just like real life!

Apparently I need to move this series up on my TBR pile.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
RIGHT?!

The will-they-won't-they can only last oh-so long before I grow weary. But putting those two together, and writing them as a REAL couple, has added new life to the show. They work because they compliment one another and that, more than anything, is the key to a successfully written pair.

I feel Bones did this quite well too. Mainly because they just approach the world in an entirely different way so there's plenty of... well, not conflict, but entertainment to be had in their relationship.

All the way up. The first couple of books feel very stock standard urban fantasy (although she does really interesting things with the world building - it's still your classic rouge detective does detecting thing), and then it just explodes into something much more epic and with much larger ramifications for the whole world.

I imagine it like a spiral. Starts small, and just gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

Also, strange given it's being recommended for the couple stuff - I liked that she didn't get with anyone instantly. I also liked that every male character that was hot got described as such, so you couldn't suddenly pick "oh, this is who she's going to end up with" from the description.

She didn't actually like her main interest for a long time, yet there were no love triangles. I just thought it was very well done.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Cantina, as the European contingent here prepares to go an hour into the future later tonight...

Brain a bit fried by watching three films on the trot, two of them on my PC as review screener links. And it turns out I don't need to review one of them. Oh well, glad I watched it anyway. Think I'll read for a while.

I did it, I hit *send*! wibble

Yay!

Good points. My novels are YA so marriage doesn't really come into them to a great extent, though there are some committed couples in there. I have written married protagonists in short stories.

Can't comment on the Kate Daniels series as I haven't read them.

Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've discovered the perfect means to deciding what story to write. Perfect for NaNo or whatever!
  1. Get a loved one. A close friend, a relative, a spouse—like a wife! Wives are perfect.
  2. Tell said loved one all of the ideas you have, while watching their reactions to each one.
  3. In the end, choose whichever one the loved one tells you to write because they think you're absolutely bizarre for having thought of it!
:D

tianaluthien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
RIGHT?!

Yes. And I wish I could find more of this in reading or TV, because so many writers seem to like the whole will-they-won't-they way too much and it drives me insane after a certain point. At which time, I tune out.

Yes. Yes you do.

All the way up. The first couple of books feel very stock standard urban fantasy (although she does really interesting things with the world building - it's still your classic rouge detective does detecting thing), and then it just explodes into something much more epic and with much larger ramifications for the whole world.

I imagine it like a spiral. Starts small, and just gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

Also, strange given it's being recommended for the couple stuff - I liked that she didn't get with anyone instantly. I also liked that every male character that was hot got described as such, so you couldn't suddenly pick "oh, this is who she's going to end up with" from the description.

She didn't actually like her main interest for a long time, yet there were no love triangles. I just thought it was very well done.

Everything Sian just said. I also really appreciated the fact that there was no love triangle. I don't mind them, if it's done well, but I'm kind of at a point where I prefer not to have that.

Another series, actually, that does the whole "pairing-thing" very very well, showcasing the characters as a team and complementary, is Marjorie M Liu's (urban fantasy) Hunter Kiss series. One thing that makes it so interesting is that it opens with the couple already established. And there's no falling out or anything that makes you question them as a couple. Instead, you get to watch them grow together and work as a team, as the plot twists and turns and explodes. And her mythology is mind blowing, her prose gorgeous.

I've discovered the perfect means to deciding what story to write. Perfect for NaNo or whatever!

Sweeeeeeeeeet :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
  1. Get a loved one. A close friend, a relative, a spouse—like a wife! Wives are perfect.
  2. Tell said loved one all of the ideas you have, while watching their reactions to each one.
  3. In the end, choose whichever one the loved one tells you to write because they think you're absolutely bizarre for having thought of it!

Yeah, i've tried this one. No matter the story idea, I get the same reaction: "Oh, God, not again, why do I have to listen to this and pretend I give a f***?"

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

And since there's seven of them out, if you like them you can read straight through a whole bunch at once. I kinda like coming into a series that way rather than having to wait a year between books. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've not yet written any married couples, but - I do have plans for a few married couples in stories soon, when I get time to get around to them. Like, a SF dystopia story with a married couple and young daughter. And you know, I never really thought about the lack of married people in fiction when I came up with that idea...

Or do you mean that there's a lack of married couples in romantic stories? Because yeah... The dystopian story isn't going to be a romance.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one to enjoy writing terrible things happening to my characters, but even someone like me has standards.

And that's why I've never written married characters.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Brain a bit fried by watching three films on the trot, two of them on my PC as review screener links. And it turns out I don't need to review one of them. Oh well, glad I watched it anyway. Think I'll read for a while.
Your brain has not truly been fried until you've watched all three extended edition LOTR movies back to back. Trust me I've done it and it literally takes all day.
I also really appreciated the fact that there was no love triangle. I don't mind them, if it's done well, but I'm kind of at a point where I prefer not to have that.
Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.