The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Clopper and Prather are both from Maryland.
That's why I added the second part. :) Though to be fair, that might be true, too...Okay, I changed it. And the question. I'm still doing the essay, though.

Kris

Last edited:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
whitewolfzty said:
Hello everyone,
Just thought it was time to join in. Yeah, I am another amputee from PA, I've had all my posts pulled and cannot gain access to the Private boards. No big deal I'll just come here instead. It was time for me to sever myself from the tenacious strings of the PA boards. It was beginning to stifle any creative juices I may possess.
I'll be back,
Ken

Welcom Ken, so glad to see you here.

postshy

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome .....

To all the new PA Authors who have just jumped ship. I am not one of the community since, although I do have a book published with PA, I have never posted on their Boards. I have written a children's book, which PA choses to hold out of spite. They tell me it is not selling, but scamper around when I mention three letters "IRS". As a veteran of "tone" letters, I just ignore their childish e-mails and have asked them to discontinue until they grow up and can handle adult correspondence.

I found AW on my own and was a lurker for many months before I could dredge up enough courage to post. I am here to fight the good fight with everyone else. Unfortunately, I agree that PA is simply cleaning house and getting ready for the next crop of dreamy-eyed "newbies".
I also question the fact that Shemp has been banned. I feel that his leash has just been tightened, until he is set free once again to bite and snarl at those whom PA wants to get rid of. What better way than turning him loose? That way they do not have to take responsibility for their actions (he does) and the newbies need never know who the real culprit is - PA. Just my opinion!

To end on a positive note - PA we all know you for what you are - so take a new oath or perish - we are here to help you, in every way we can, to do one or the other.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
Okay Guys...

....there is a long time PA poster suggesting to a newbie that they put book marks in their Internet bills, utility bills, phone bills, etc.

I am shaking my head and saying "This cannot be happening".

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Good heavens! Even more new arrivals. How nice to see you all. Welcome in.

Ok. Civilities over. I have proof positive that PA is the literary equivalent of a toxic dump - and it's seeping.

1) On Monday, I read Karin Slaughter's 'Indelible' - and there, at the bottom of page 352, were the immortal words: 'balling like a child.'

2) On Tuesday I read another novel, where the writer was so fond of the word 'resonate' (and all its variations) that he used it at least twice in every bloody chapter.

3) I bought a book from the Red Cross shop - and found a single dollar bill tucked between its pages. (A trifle bizarre, since I am in Scotland.)

All these books were murder stories. Is this a metaphor for PA murdering its writers' dreams?

On the other hand, since evil got its comeuppance in all three, perhaps it means PA will too?

What do these omens portend?

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Memphis Ed said:
....there is a long time PA poster suggesting to a newbie that they put book marks in their Internet bills, utility bills, phone bills, etc.

Ed, that is not a new suggestion. It's been played before. PA boards are a land of "nothing new under the sun." The suggestions are only new to the newbies.

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
AnneMarble said:
Maybe we should all change our avatars to pictures of menopausal women, just to draw him out. :D
Goodness, after my little spewfest at Baldy Meiners, Clod-hopper and Moe, I'd say I have that menopausal thing down to a science. Maybe instead of a silly looking puppy, my new avatar should be dripping fangs.

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Ed...

Memphis Ed said:

At least that's better than telling them to use the utility money to buy their books, as has been done before.

Sara

PublishAmerica SUPER sucks!

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Literary Lola said:
Goodness, after my little spewfest at Baldy Meiners, Clod-hopper and Moe, I'd say I have that menopausal thing down to a science. Maybe instead of a silly looking puppy, my new avatar should be dripping fangs.
Dang, Lola, I'd have to fight you for that one.

Heads up, people -- the Tour bus goes to Ohio tomorrow. Guess what that means? :wag:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
arrowqueen said:
Jeezo! You jest, Savannah. At least I hope so!
Alas, she tells you true. Sick, huh? And my goodness, what about the ones who mortgaged the house to buy their own books, or quit their jobs and went through their savings waiting for their writing career to take off? There oughta be a law...

eighter

Registered
Reaction score
Does PA edit?

Yes they do. Here's a sample.

Mine. Hardly anyone used the old highway.
Hers. Hardly, anyone used the old highway.

Then I received an e mail saying I was afraid to use and didn't know how to use commas but not to worry. "We all needs help sometimes".

The name of the book is There Ain't Enough Front Porches. It was changed to Ain't Enough Front Porches.

Author's name is Molly Marx Brent changed to Molly Marks Brent.

After I paid an editor to make the corrections, PA refused to make them because there were too many. My friend had to do the entire thing over. Then PA sent the wrong set of proofs to the printer.

My nephew, a surgeon, read the e mails from their editor. He was laughing at the joke they were playing on me, but there was one slight problem. It was not a joke. The so called editor was very serious. Things like " All our departments has professionals who works with first time authors".

I'm not even sure that putting PA out of business will make me laugh. Seeing the big wigs in jail or having the 14 copies of my book that are still for sale being surgically removed from, well never mind.........

My book went to #22 on PA's best seller list. I have received one royalty payment of $35 for the first 6 months. Nothing since. My contract was cancelled a year ago and today I moved up from the 1900 range to 199 on PA's best seller list.

Molly

Reaction score
Thank you to those who/whom responded to my question on what happens to our books--should PA go belly up. I should have stated my question clearly, but I believe it was Chris who understood what I was asking.

The big sale I was referring to, was just as someone responded, take the money and run.

I am one of the PA banned-its. As I was reading through the most recent posts, here at AW, there was mention of a lady, Ann, who is in phase two of attempting to put PA on the straight and narrow. I like that idea. I have many friends at PA, and I myself have a book with them, so I would not like to hurt their reputation any more than it is already. If I can somehow be involved in getting them to clean up their act, I would be willing to do so, knowing the full details. There is more to be said for ‘reconstruction’ than ‘destruction’ of a company, to which our names are tied--for many years to come.

To my PA friends who have migrated here, "Hi, guys." Please, don’t give me away just yet, as I need to keep the lines of communications open with PA for a little bit longer, and knowing 'THEY' read these boards, the severing would surely be swift. I did get a reply from them, regarding my being banished and, true to form, it was most insulting.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
I'm back....

...and to say I'm tired would be the understatement of the century. Some real good things happened over the past couple of days:

1. Our show, "GRITS, Georgia, and Grizzard," sold out the theatre last night - 350 seats at $35 a pop. We were the fundraising act this year for the Helen Keller Foundation, which personally meant a lot to me. I can remember my elementary school teachers teaching us about Helen Keller, and I was impressed even then by her spirit and demeanor. She should be an inspiration to anyone and everyone, and to get a chance to help raise money for her foundation meant a whole lot to me.

2. After the show we had a big booksigning, and at one point I found myself surrounded by about 10-12 writers who wanted to talk about publishing. Folks, I tried to do us proud - I gave them the standard info you'd give anyone looking to be published, but I also added in this, "And let be advise y'all on this - whatever you do, don't go with the whores of the publishing industry, PublishAmerica. Laughing stock of the industry and then some. If you printed your books on toilet paper it would be worth more than a PA book will be to you." Then, I told 'em they should all join us over here at AW - I obviously told them about the literary benefits of doing so, but I also added in that they would get to hang and bang with Jenna, Uncle Jim, Dave, Sweet Victoria, Naughty Nancy, and some notable others, but, most of all, if they were really lucky that they might get some unusual recognition from ZaZ. If that doesn't encourage 'em to join us, nothing will.

3. Wow, all the new faces here! Welcome to all of you, I think you will both enjoy it here and learn a lot about writing to boot. If I can ever be of assistance to any of you, I am but an email away.

4. Aryn, in my eyes, you have moved up into the ranks of BTO and Elvis with your principled stand on the PA boards - you have earned my respect times three with that, not that you didn't have it already. And Bonnie, you continue to epitomize what class and character is all about...

5. Thanks to all of who who've welcomed me back, it is great to be here. Diana, my esteem for you grows...

6. Re Shemp, he may well show up here if his need for attention is at the level I think it is. Even if he does show up, I don't think it will amount to much. I don't think he could take being challenged for long, and he will be challenged here. Personally, I would not treat him impolitely, but I hope he stays dead and buried. I would welcome any person coming over to these boards who was sincere in their motives, but not him. Frankly, whatever happens to him concerns me in the least.

7. Jenna, I will be listening and cheering you on Sunday - you will be in real good hands with Bro Ed....

And now, I have to unpack, later everyone!

Last edited:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
tinasamuels said:
I'm still not officially back for any length of time but I wanted to say that I received this email, which would be my first book signing:

They also sent me the "catalog page copy" of the full page advert of my book for their Fall/Winter 2005 catalog. Good stuff. I'm near glee with love for what a real publisher does.[/font]

Congratulations Tina. Have a great time at your signing.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
Ed Williams said:
After the show we had a big booksigning, and at one point I found myself surrounded by about 10-12 writers who wanted to talk about publishing. Folks, I tried to do us proud - I gave them the standard info you'd give anyone looking to be published, but I also added in this, "And let be advise y'all on this - whatever you do, don't go with the whores of the publishing industry, PublishAmerica. Laughing stock of the industry and then some. If you printed your books on toilet paper it would be worth more than a PA book will be to you."

...and you wonder why Ed is "the man"...not "A man" but "THE man".

I'll take Ed, Uncle Jim, and Jenna against Shemp, Nightie Chick, and anyone else they choose, loser leave town, hair versus belt.

We're in good hands, folks.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Jaws said:
For the forty-seventh time, don't do this. The relationship between an author and PA is a business-to-business one, not a consumer transaction. Maryland's consumer protection laws do not apply to business-to-business transactions.

If you can answer this, it would be appreciated. I ask only out of curiosity. What about situations where the rights were fully reverted and the publisher is continuing to publish the book as appears to be the case for one or more writers? Is it a civil matter entirely or can the writer rely upon the government for anything?

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
I've added a new page to www.publishamericasucks.com called Banned. If anyone here would like to have the story of how you were banned from the PAMB on the website, please let me know. I'd like to have as many stories as possible up.

Thanks

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sher2 said:
Dang, Lola, I'd have to fight you for that one.

Heads up, people -- the Tour bus goes to Ohio tomorrow. Guess what that means? :wag:

Jesssh Ohio, that is where I'm from. Can we stop at my house for a minute. (Smile)

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
changling said:
Jesssh Ohio, that is where I'm from. Can we stop at my house for a minute. (Smile)
Why not? We stopped at Linda's. Can't stay long, though -- we have grave robbing to do.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ok Complete non sequitur - both Eds made me weak at the knees.

Why should other people's accents be such a turn-on?

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Arrow, admit it...

arrowqueen said:
Ok Complete non sequitur - both Eds made me weak at the knees.

Why should other people's accents be such a turn-on?
...we've been sweet talkin' each other for years, add in this PA related stuff and wow, explosive!

P.S. Is it true that Shemp got the "el-boot-ay" off the PA boards?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
...we've been sweet talkin' each other for years, add in this PA related stuff and wow, explosive!

P.S. Is it true that Shemp got the "el-boot-ay" off the PA boards?

Ummmmmm. I believe one hen house queen called the chicken coop and said, pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.