How to write a better murder scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm writing a memoir and I'm including a scene where my grandmother was murdered (50 years ago, well before I was born).

I just reread what I wrote and I'm not quite satisfied with it. I feel like the pacing might be too fast or something. But it's hard to stretch it out because I'm relying on outside information as I wasn't there. I made a concerted effort to show not tell, none-the-less, making it sort of a play-by-play instead of simply giving a 2nd/3rd-hand account. I gave myself a little wiggle room to embellish and add details (e.g. they were hiding in the bedroom and they prayed silently...I don't know if they were praying, but it's minor).

It's hard for me to tell if there's suspense since I already know what happens, but I try to keep the reader guessing in how I reveal the event, creating points where things could go one way or another. I also try to include backstory about my grandmother so the reader can establish some sense of connection with her, but it's hard since I just don't have a ton of information on her and I feel like the details I do include about her come off a little dry and generic.

My purpose for including the event is because it shape my mother and our relationship and there are other events in the future that are important to my main story where the murder is referenced.

One thing I'm debating is how I should refer to my grandma: as "Grandma", "my mother's mother" (to emphasize how it influenced my mom specifically), or by her name. I'm leaning against "Grandma" since she wan't a grandma yet when she died and I never met her and I sort of want to remove myself from the scene and not have it be about me.

I do a little POV jumping I think. I reveal events from the my relatives POV at times while other times from the gunmen's POV. I think it's works though and is good for creating suspense.

Any ideas how to make the scene more compelling?

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Impossible to say without reading it. Get up a few more posts (so you have more than 50) and post it in SYW for comments.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a memoir and I'm including a scene where my grandmother was murdered (50 years ago, well before I was born).

I do a little POV jumping I think. I reveal events from the my relatives POV at times while other times from the gunmen's POV. I think it's works though and is good for creating suspense.

Any ideas how to make the scene more compelling?

I'm a little confused by some of your statements. You're writing a memoir with multiple POVs? I'm not sure how that would play out.

Is it possible that you're writing part of it as a memoir, and part of it as fiction based on a true story? I'm wondering if this combination is what's throwing you.

I'm no expert on memoirs -- I can't think of the last one I've read. But maybe focus on how you want to write the book first (memoir vs. fiction based on a true story) and go from there.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing you say sounds like a memoir to me. The one thing I expect from a memoir is absolute truth. I'm not sure how you can tell the truth from a POV other than your own.

I also don't think you write a murder scene in a memoir the way you do in a novel. Just give readers the facts. You weren't there, so just tell us what happened, what you've read about it, or been told about it, and let it go at that.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with others above. When I read the summary, it didn't come off as a memoir at all.

Also, and this is me being nitpicky, but everything matters when you're writing a murder scene. Little details like praying give a glimpse into the characters in their time of need. And it could also be used to create the suspense you're looking for. For example, an intruder hears your grandma pray and tries to call her out. Now your grandma must keep quiet, but because she's a God-fearing woman can't help but whisper to the Lord for aid. Time ticks before she's finally found, and when she hears someone approaching, she hopes that it's the intervention she so desperately needs.

Like Jamesaritchie said, as a memoir it should be as accurate as possible. Have you done other research besides speak to your mom, such as find newspaper clippings or other reports that provide more details? When writing a memoir, I would think that you want to be realistic with what you know (do we all remember the James Frey situation?), and if you only know those 2nd or 3rd degree accounts, then that's what you go with... otherwise those little embellishments actually take away from the memoir itself.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Disregard what I said about jumping POV's.

Yes, details are important, and I have a limited supply of them. I'm doubtful I will be able to find newspapers or other hard documents as this happened decades ago and in a small village in a foreign country.

I see what you mean about how this delves into a different genre from memoir. I guess I just went astray because I was trying really hard to "show not tell."

This part of the book is very brief in the grand scheme of things and the rest of it very much is a "proper" memoir. I guess I just thought the readers would establish more of a emotional connection/attachment to my mother, who is a main character in my memoir, by revealing this backstory in the form of a scene rather than simply stating it as an aside/simple fact.

Anyway, I probably am getting ahead of myself. That was my first attempt at writing it as a scene, and I just felt like the pacing of it was too abrupt (as a result of limited details and info). But I'm sure eventually after I let it sit for a while I will resolve how I should best include this event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.