Do I need to write in scenes? And which is better: fewer longer scenes or more short scenes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm writing a memoir. Like I've said in other posts, I'm struggling writing about backstory from childhood b/c my memory is fragmented. The easiest way to write about it is very "tell not show"-like, where I give an overview of my life back then jumping from one random example anecdote to another.

Should I really just focus on writing scenes (w/ action and dialogue)?

Furthermore, should I try as best as I can to do fewer longer scenes rather than many short scenes? I could accomplish this by combining events from different days that work well together....kind of creating bigger composite scenes, and simply changing the genre of my book to fictionalized memoir.

It's been a while since I've read "Catcher in the Rye" but if I recall correctly, a lot of the book happens in his head and his thoughts. This is the mode of writing I find myself falling into when I deal with the distant past. I get very descriptive and tend or organize little vignettes based on subject matter or theme. Like I'll address a certain topic or character trait, then give little anecdotal examples that jump around in terms of chronological order. When dealing with more recent events, I am able to write more action-packed play-by-play scenes and keep things very chronological.

I do hope to get the book published and appeal to a broad audience. I sort of have a feeling that writing in scenes and condensing important events into fewer longer scenes is best for this.

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
A scene allows the reader to envision what's happening and allow them to decipher what's happening in the story--which attracts attention. If you don't want to do this, don't.

The Cather in the Rye is over sixty years old and writing has moved a long ways since, and you're writing a memoir; probably best not comparing memoir writing to fiction writing.

Here's something: What's the point of bringing up the past in a memoir? A memoir is about certain events in the author's life--not their entire life. If part of the past does matter, then you can explain it in the current scene with some exposition.

Longer or shorter scenes/chapters doesn't matter. What matters is keeping the reader's attention to the page, no matter how long the parts of the story is.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Most of the novels I've read have scenes, with breaks that denote a jump forward in time, a move to a new location where there's no need to show the transportation, or a change of pov character. Scenes typically vary in length from a few paragraphs to as long as an entire chapter (which can also vary greatly in length). I don't really think about how long a scene *should* be when I write one. It's about showing what it needs to show happening in order to advance a chunk of the story.

How do the authors of the novels (Catcher in the Rye is pretty old, but I assume you've read more recently written novels too) you've read most recently handle scenes? What do you like or not like about their approach? What do you think you need to do differently for your novel or story?

I don't think I've ever read a memoir, aside from a couple of unpublished ones written by relatives, so I can't say how those tend to be structured. Like an autobiography? Like a diary? I don't recall scenes, but these memoirs were more telling about things that happened than trying to write them like a novel. Maybe break it up based on the period of your life you're discussing, or as a series of events?

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to read a heck of a lot more memoirs, and judge by that. You keep treating your memoir like it's a novel, and the two have almost nothing in common. Read a dozen or so memoirs, and do the same as those writers did.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Study how other memoirs are written.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You guys are right...the other night I bought like 7 memoirs, lol. I have to read them though. I have a reading disability so it'll take me a while hence why I've been putting it off. But I know that it's necessary and will help.

Indeed memoirs and novels are separate, but I've seen a lot of stuff insisting that memoirs should try to be novel-like in some aspects.

Anyhoo, I should shut up until I read a few more memoirs.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
The story and your voice dictate the length of scenes and chapters. Across twenty releases I've had scenes as short as three paragraphs (usual entry of a minor character's world) and as long as four or five pages, all depends on where the story goes. I don't like to go behind 15 page chapters, but that's a personal style thingy.

The Raen

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting this thread is about *scenes* because a lot of bad memoirs emphasize exposition over narrative. The fact that you seem to have a lot of scenes is probably a step in the right direction, right from the start. I'll just echo what others have said, the best length depends on your style and the content of the scene itself. Just remember you can revise later. Generally, I'd just say it's more important to capture the spirit of what happened rather than every single line of dialog you remember. When it comes editing time, be brutal in this regard and keep the pace going. Good luck!

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It's interesting this thread is about *scenes* because a lot of bad memoirs emphasize exposition over narrative.

yes, this is what I was/am worried about. And thanks, good insights...i will def be brutal when editing to make sure the pace keeps going. as profound as I am, I know my random navel-gazing won't suffice in keeping the reader's attention

Status
Not open for further replies.