PA author gets fired from job because of book

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
No, not freedom of speech. And wasn't iUniverse or Xlibris sued because of a similar book? The publisher was also held liable for the ...uh...libel in the book they produced.

Hmm...

It was something to do with, I believe, a husband writing a nasty tell-all about his ex-wife, if I remember correctly. She was a romance writer.

It was AuthorHouse. To the tune of $200,000. August of 2006.

Yes, there are loads of articles right here. Most of the time, vanity publishers manage to scam people through entirely legal means. It's nice that they are forced to take on some of the responsibilities of true publishers when sued, instead of being treated like blameless venues. They certainly cause a lot of authors to put up with a great deal of crap, and it's nice to see them have to shoulder at least one of the burdens that a real publisher should shoulder.

It is even discounted from the customary ridiculously high PA price. Curious. (Expensive even after the discount, though.) Some other PA books I looked for (ones by folks I know) are not for sale by Amazon now. Apparently there are different arrangements for different books.

During a period when my vanity-published book (by Authorhouse, not PA) was selling particularly well, Amazon always kept at least 5 copies in stock and sold it at a discount. A few months later, it stopped doing that.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
You'll never hear me defend PA, and I work in a library (have for six years) and know just how serious everybody in the profession takes privacy. However, I cannot bring myself to agree that this woman should have been fired.

Perhaps the library should not circulate her book; perhaps local book stores should not stock it; perhaps she should have kept her true identity closer to her chest. Firing her however? I just don't see how that is fair, especially when libraries stand as pillars of free speech and intellectual openness.

It has been pointed out to me however, that Robert Dickson, her Director, fired her not for writing the book but for promoting the book on work time. That does conflict with the story in the Ludington paper, but it is a possibility. Either way, I hesitate to believe that her writing the book was not held against in her some way.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
It's not just writing the book, it's not covering up the identities of those she chose to write about, and then crowing about how the characters in her book were actually library patrons. There's free speech and then there's libel. Actually I think the library did it to save face more than anything. We all know how under-funded libraries are; what if one of her "characters" decided to sue the library?

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
There's free speech and then there's libel.

Exactly. Free speech, in its usual American usage, means speech free from prior government censorship. It doesn't mean everyone can say whatever they want without any legal responsibility, if they falsely defame another. Our free-speech laws let her publish the book without restraint--no government approval necessary. Now she has to face the consequences.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
That was a huge part of the problem...when she first started promoting the book she loved telling everyone how it was true and she didn't even attempt to hide the identities of the people she wrote about (she didn't use their names but it's pretty obvious who they are...or so I've heard). And thought she was pretty funny too. When the shit started hitting the fan, she backpedaled and said she made it up...but it's all too obvious she didn't. Too late. People have even said they recognized many of the characters right away...and they weren't written in a flattering light.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Firing her however? I just don't see how that is fair

I don't know what her employment contract says. It may well be that some or all of the behaviors she's engaged in (breaking patron confidentiality, doing other work on library time, using library intellectual property [the picture of the library on the cover] without permission) are specifically enjoined in that contract.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I don't know what her employment contract says. It may well be that some or all of the behaviors she's engaged in (breaking patron confidentiality, doing other work on library time, using library intellectual property [the picture of the library on the cover] without permission) are specifically enjoined in that contract.

I agree with all of the above, except for the library photo being the library's intellectual property. IF she took the photo herself (or received permission from the person who did) then it's a photo of the outside of a public building, which is perfectly legal! Anyone can take photos of public buildings (and even most private buildings, so long as you weren't trespassing or invading privacy when you took the photo).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Was it ever confirmed she used the library's database to build her mailing list? That'd be enough, right there.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The book's out of stock at Amazon, and has a current sales rank of 74,007.

Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.

That poor little Xerox machine in Frederick must be having a nervous breakdown.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to conjure up some sympathy for her - after all, I'm a receptionist and secretary and I run into (sometimes more than) my fair share of very strange people every day. But I can't. As much as I privately roll my eyes at some of our more peculiar/annoying visitors, I would never even dream of writing a book mocking them, transparently or otherwise. They're human, same as I am, and they deserve the same respect I'd want for myself. I wouldn't want someone writing about the "ugly Betty receptionist with the funny accent and the crooked squirrel teeth."

*For the record, yeah, my front teeth are odd-looking, but I like them just the way they are, thank you. :)

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-librarydiaries,0,6451431.story

According to the Tribune, "Library officials learned the author's identity, suspended Stern-Hamilton as a library assistant July 15 and fired her 10 days later. They say she did not appeal the firing within the 10 days allowed under district policies, according to the Ludingtgon Daily News."

It looks like her appeal attempt was not successful.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
That poor little Xerox machine in Frederick must be having a nervous breakdown.

If it's a Nuvera Digital... it's not having a nervous breakdown. It's likely not even breathin' hard.

NUVERA_PS_DB120.jpg

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
The Trib clarifies ... "suspended Stern-Hamilton as a library assistant"

She was NOT a librarian of the "I studied library science" type. That explains the wretched writing.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
The Trib clarifies ... "suspended Stern-Hamilton as a library assistant"

She was NOT a librarian of the "I studied library science" type. That explains the wretched writing.

Aha. I was wondering if the book is any good, or if it's selling solely on scandal. I'm wondering how PAers are handling this; does anyone know? Are there twinges of jealousy, dashed hopes that their book doesn't come close to these numbers, fastidious fears that their own skirts might get dirty due to proximity? What's PA doing? Using it as a come-on, or keeping silent in the face of an impending law-suit?

The last is probably why she was fired by the library. If sued, the non-support of the book and termination of employment are strong defensive actions. Actions, one notes, PA did not take. Have they even withdrawn publication yet? Ah, Vic, Vic, Vic ... you thought it would be an easy job, didn't you?

Sucker. :e2dance:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Aha. I was wondering if the book is any good, or if it's selling solely on scandal. I'm wondering how PAers are handling this; does anyone know?
As I recall the PAMB is open for anyone to read, though I rarely go there. If it's not being discussed there, one might look up a PA author or two and ask "Hi, I see you're published with PA - did you hear about this librarian fired for writing a PA book? I wonder if controversy like this helps to sell books? Do other PA authors know about this?"

Ben, just trying to stir stuff up... :D

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
If sued, the non-support of the book and termination of employment are strong defensive actions.

Very true, and libel is a very strong reason for suit here, but not the only reason to fire the librarian.

Librarians are supposed to protect their patrons' privacy and confidentiality. It's specifically stated in the ALA Code of Conduct (which someone helpfully quoted at the Luddington forum). What this librarian did was essentially describe several patrons' appearance and in-library behavior in an identifying way, thus violating their privacy and confidentiality regardless of how many "this is a work of fiction" notices she plasters on top.

Also: I'm not happy with Scott's bit (in the Luddington forum post) about "Funny no one's come forward and complained about being in her book--maybe they're afraid to admit it was them?" in your post. For crying out loud, if you were depicted in such an unsavory way, would YOU "admit" it was you? Think about the guy accused of being a sexual predator. He's going to come up to the library head dude, point at the page, and say, "That's me she's accusing, except I'm not a sexual predator even though I do in fact look at things you don't approve of on your internet for about six hours on a Sunday and in fact I do stink of whatever she said I stunk of, which is how I knew it was me she was accusing and not some made-up character" or whatever?

Hell no. Even if all you'd been doing was sitting there reading email, and you'd had an embarrassing 15-minute fart attack, and she described you as "That homeless pervert jerk came in again, checking his email for any young innocent things taking his rendezvous bait. He wore a green sweater and blue jeans. He must have got a nibble after all, because he got so excited he farted for 15 minutes straight"--you'd go up to the library head and point out how you know it was you she made false accusations of? Green sweater, sure, but embarrassing 15-minute fart attack that you hoped no one noticed and made you want to disappear?

HELL no. In fact, I doubt anyone she accused as a sexual predator is going to want to come up and say, "she accused me," regardless of whether the identifying feature was embarrassing. In light of the pervasive "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" meme, isn't it likely that the reaction to bringing it up and denying it would be, "Why is he bothered by the accusation if he's innocent? Methinks the pervert doth protest too much!"

It's a lot more likely that those insulted, degrade, falsely accused, and whose privacy was violated by this brick-length missive haven't actually read it. It's by Publish America and no store in town wants to sell it; besides, a good many of those she "revealed" are homeless and have no money to buy the book. (Another reason not to speak up. If you're homeless, tattered, and unwashed--because you're homeless--who do you think is going to listen to your side of the story?) But if they have, I can understand easily why they aren't quick to jump up, point at the unflattering but identifying description--and possibly life-wrecking false accusation--and say, "That was me she's talking about and I'm offended!"

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Everything that is said in her book is being judged as if it were a recent occurrence, but what if it weren't? What if several of the incidents described were from 12-15 years ago, when computers were first installed in the library and filters were not the standard equipment for public access that they are today?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Does it matter? I imagine the library itself isn't happy about being painted in such an unsavory light either - that sexual predators run rampant through the library, threatening the patron's children, looking at pr0n on the computer. Imagine the drop in numbers of people coming to the library? Or donating money, or becoming Friends of the Library?

Such a thing has the potential to damage the library's reputation, and they live on the brink as it is. A loss of donations could spell disaster.

Not only that, knowing the author still worked there, would people WANT to come to the library, knowing their ever action is being monitored, hoping they're not fodder for her NEXT book?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it would -- does -- matter. Twelve to fifteen years ago, computers were just being introduced to the library and filters were not something that most people considered.