• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ruben Literary Agency (Eric Ruben)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
New agency alert: Eric Ruben, attorney, former business manager for Suzanne Brockman. There's an interview with him on the Guild to Literary Agents blog yesterday.

www.rubenlaw.org

Anjulee

Registered
Reaction score
Information

Does anyone have any information on this agent or has anyone had any experience with him?

Thank you in advance

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
He reps a few friends of mine. I've met him a couple of times. He's industry savvy, works hard for his clients, is very organized with his submission plans. He participates in the #askagent and #tenqueries twitter conversations. Off the top of my head, I know he's sold to Sourcebooks and Random House.

Last edited:

Anjulee

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your information. He asked for a full, but I wasn't sure because of the limited amount of information on him in the forums.

Thanks again

Anjulee

Registered
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks jamiekswriter. I'm waiting for a reply. It could be while, and I hope I have nails left by then

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Actually, Eric has tentatively expressed interest in doing an "Ask the Agent" gig, here, too. I'll try to follow up on that soon, and you guys can ask him your questions directly, if he still has time. :)

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
Eric opened up to unsolicited queries this morning (per his twitter feed).

I'm impressed with what I've seen of him so far and would love to work with him. He seems to genuinely care about what he does, and he's always tweeting helpful things for unpublished authors as well as praise for his clients. I'm not sure if he'd be interested in my work (urban fantasy with romantic elements), but I queried him this morning anyway.

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
A friend is represented by him, and she writes a number of things, including what could be described as UF with romantic elements. She thinks very highly of him.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Eric is my agent & I'll say this: He focuses on what is important to me in my career. Which is awesome.

:D

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
He's doing #tenqueries on Twitter this Thursday (7/11) at 7 PM Eastern time.

I subbed on 7/3 -- contemporary horror/fantasy.
He's a quick reply for rejects and fulls...so I'm in limbo! hahahaha.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I follow Eric on Twitter and he seems to be a very good person to follow. I liked the look of him as an agent but he was closed to subs - didn't realise he was open at the moment.

To my query letter!

yellosharpie

Registered
Reaction score
He seems pretty cool to work with and I'm thinking of querying him. I was wondering if any of his clients have any tips? He says that he is looking for YA, but would like to know where his tastes tend to run.

Thanks!

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
He seems pretty cool to work with and I'm thinking of querying him. I was wondering if any of his clients have any tips? He says that he is looking for YA, but would like to know where his tastes tend to run.

Thanks!

I know he reps at least one person who writes LGBT. I also found this Writer's Digest interview from 2011.

yellosharpie

Registered
Reaction score
I know he reps at least one person who writes LGBT. I also found this Writer's Digest interview from 2011.

Oh yes, I remember reading that one. He's been pretty vocal about that. He also mentions something along the lines of good stories well told, gritty, dark, and sexy...but I'm really interested in what YA either genres or voice he favors. He mentions romance and mysteries as well.

He mentions Buffy as having great YA writing (agree) and loving Joss Whedon, so I know we have that in common :)

Thanks though!

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I remember reading that one. He's been pretty vocal about that. He also mentions something along the lines of good stories well told, gritty, dark, and sexy...but I'm really interested in what YA either genres or voice he favors. He mentions romance and mysteries as well.

He mentions Buffy as having great YA writing (agree) and loving Joss Whedon, so I know we have that in common :)

Thanks though!

Yep. [derail]omg love Joss Whedon HAVE YOU SEEN Much Ado About Nothing?? Perfection![/derail]

I haven't seen many "What are you looking for?" types of interviews from him recently. He's very active on Twitter, though; he does ten queries and ask an agent, etc..

yellosharpie

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. [derail]omg love Joss Whedon HAVE YOU SEEN Much Ado About Nothing?? Perfection![/derail]

I haven't seen many "What are you looking for?" types of interviews from him recently. He's very active on Twitter, though; he does ten queries and ask an agent, etc..

No, but I want to. Hopefully I get some free time so I can watch it. Was it awesome? :p

He's doing a ten queries this Friday at 7pm I believe. I think I want to try and submit this week before then. We'll see.