• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Well, they do have non-romance titles, tri. The two books I have contracted with them are YA fantasy, no romance to be seen, not even tepid. :)

They also have chick-lit, which is usually pretty mild on the sex. They just put out a buttload of Romance novels :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I was accepted for two fantasy novels with limited romance and no sex in one (very little in the other). I don't think genre is a big part of the decision.

JamesAllen

Registered
Reaction score
Ixchel, how long did it take for them to reject your submission? I haven't heard back from them yet. Mine has been with them since August 8th, but it says it'll take 8-10 weeks for a response.

Does anyone know if Selena James (from Kensington) and Angela James are related? Just wondered, since their last names are the same.

Apryl

I haven't heard from them yet and I submitted (a partial and synopsis) the same day they opened for submissions. It's probably just that some editors work faster than others? Anyway, ten weeks doesn't even sound that long, after waiting months on other rejections in the past. Some years ago, it took eighteen months for a print publisher to reject me. :D

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I haven't heard yet either, and I submitted on the first day, too. But, they did say we could submit the full at our discretion, and that's what I did. I gave them the whole shebang.

Good to know, Veinglory. I don't feel so worried about my limited sex scenes now. Thanks.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ah, thanks for that clarification, coming from the first-hand knowledge of the authors. Knowing that, then I do believe it was my very tepid Beginings that were SO painfully slow, that they passed before they hit page 30. Stands more to reason anyway. My romance, what little there was of it, did not arrive in any of the books until much later on. And from my last rejection records from others, I'm inclined to think they ditched me for the mired frontends.

Tri

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Samhain on August 6th and received my rejection on August 15th from one of the editors. She said that even though she liked my ideas she couldn't connect with my main character. Also even though the first chapter was dramatic enough the first three chapters weren't action packed enough for a YA paranormal.

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi, Ixchel,

Thanks for your response. I sent mine on August 8th; I'll let ya'll know when I get a reply. Mine's pretty much paranormal/horror with a little scifi thrown in.

Apryl

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
My novel (the one Samhain is in possession of, anyway) is a historical/paranormal. It tops out at just over 60K. I submitted the first 40 pages and a synopsis to them on 8/9/07 and Carrie Jackson requested the full on 8/12/07. I sent it on the 14th, but for some reason she didn't receive it, so I resent it on 8/20/07. So now I am settling in for a nice, 10-12 week wait.

oooh....

I hate waiting.

Plus, my agent has the MS at two other publishers, and we are waiting to hear from them, also.

Lastly, another small pub requested the full to my first novel (112K paranormal thriller) at the end of June, and I am likewise waitng to hear from them, too.

The writer's life. Hurry up and wait.

JamesAllen

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, she was fast. I sent a partial in on Aug. 6th and haven't yet gotten a rejection or request for a full.

I did read at their blogsite that one editor just resigned. Maybe she took a look at my 116,000 word count and ran for the hills. :D

JamesAllen

Registered
Reaction score
It's been about six weeks now since most of us submitted. I was wondering if anyone else who submitted a partial has been rejected/asked for a full yet. I'm a little concerned they might've sent me a rejection and I didn't receive it (because a few times recently people have sent me emails I didn't receive :(). If a publisher says 10-12 weeks' response time for a full, is it reasonable to inquire about a partial after six weeks? Or better just to wait the full period before pestering? What would you guys do?

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a partial and was asked for a full in less than a week. I'd drop an email asking if your submission was received--they seem to be pretty on top of queries, so it could be yours went astray.

10-12 weeks--funny how that seems to be FOREVER. :)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I submitted a partial on the day they reopened for subs and received a request for a full the next day. It took about a month after that to receive an offer of a contract. It's the fastest I've ever received a response that wasn't a rejection :) and it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I sent in a full on that first day and received my rejection on Sunday.:cry:

Renee Russell

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a partial on the day they reopened for subs and received a request for a full the next day. It took about a month after that to receive an offer of a contract. It's the fastest I've ever received a response that wasn't a rejection :) and it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You must be so excited!

Darcy/Renee

JamesAllen

Registered
Reaction score
I sent in a full on that first day and received my rejection on Sunday.:cry:

So they must not look at manuscripts in the order they come in, I guess. seaaircarol, didn't you submit later in the week and not on the 6th? I submitted at something like ten a.m. on the 6th (I was ready to go :D). It's discouraging to think that maybe they shuffle through the slush and pick out what looks the most interesting. :/ Hey, carol, did you revise and resubmit? I am sorry about your rejection. I know what that feels like, many times over.

I did ask them this afternoon if they might've sent me a response I didn't receive and they responded (very quickly too) that they received my manuscript (which I figured they did, since I got the auto-response, even if it was the closed-to-subs auto-response). So I just have to keep waiting. It's just reassuring to know I'm not waiting for something that was already rejected. :D

Congrats on your acceptance, Jersey Chick!! And so fast. It must be an awesome book.

Thanks for all your replies. I hope they don't take too much longer on ours, David. :) I won't have any fingernails left.

Last edited:

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I submitted my partial on August 8th and haven't received a response....it's been a little over a month. I got the auto response on the same day I sent it out, and I know they got it.

They DID say on their submission guidelines that it could take up to ten weeks to receive a response, and it hasn't been ten weeks for me yet.

Apryl

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Not so much a matter of when they come in, I don't think. Submissions are distributed to different editors, and each editor obviously has a different workload. Submissions, plus current books to edit and stuff.

So if James and Seaaircarol's manuscripts went to different editors (probably), there's no guarantee of when you'll hear back.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I submitted on that first day. I also got the reply from the auto-responder saying they weren't accepting manuscripts yet.

And, no, it wasn't a revision. I just decided to send the full because they said it was okay to do that.

No worries. I've sent it to Wild Rose--this time, it *is* a revision. They'd expressed some interest earlier this year. Fingers crossed.

Congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Like Christine said, Carrie has had a backlog of emails, but she did say that she'd finally gotten through her submissions, so some of you still waiting may hear from her within a few days.