Critiquing Other Critiques: Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think about poem critiques that respond to other crits, rather than the original poem? For example:

Crit 1: "I thought the ending was weak; it was an anti-climax."

Crit 2: "You missed the point; it was a delightful irony."

How do you feel about it as:
- the poet?
- the author of the crit being critiqued?

Last edited:

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
If it's a simple vote you're looking for, I'm good with critiques being critiqued.

Discussion is vital. People don't always express their point well and if a crit is to be valuable, the writer of that crit has to be able to stand over it and say what they meant (and occasionally recant). It's all got to be done in a civilised fashion of course but I can't see why a crit should be precious.

wyzguy

Coprocephalic, at times.
Registered
Reaction score
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in
I don't think a crit should be more precious than the poem which caused it. However, I regret that the dialogue between Bret and myself hijacked the thread. I don't know the best path, but I don't think we found it.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that responses to poems are fairly subjective; they can vary widely. I think it's probably best to keep the crits focused on the poem, rather than critiquing someone else's subjective response. Not that crits can't counter one another, though. In the example above, Crit 2 could better say how he responded to poem differently, what he got from it, etc. That way Crit. 1 won't feel 'corrected' and won't be gun shy about offering a crit in the future.

Last edited:

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for addressing the work, not the person. Crits on the poems are all valid, even if they disagree. One may say "that is cliched" and the next might say "I didn't find that cliched." Really, crits should be aimed at the poem and if one disagrees with another's crit, simply address that disagreement in the form of another crit.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree also that the crit should be focused on the poem, but sometimes a I may feel strongly the opposite to. Like if someone said a certain word was out of balance but I really liked it, I would comment to that point only.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I too believe that crits should be poem focused, however, I love the incredible dialogue that often ensues as we begin to dig into deeper meanings.

Sometimes, I wish there was just a thread that we could get into just for the purpose of philosophical dialogue where anything is fair game.

I appreciate everything that each and every person posts because even when I don't agree with them, I learn from them. Collectively, when it's all read through, it's feels like you just ate a 7 course meal, and then some!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You can respond to a critique without rebutting it.

C: I intended the ending to be subtle and ironic. How do you think I could fine tune this approach to avoid the ending seeming too weak?

If you really aren't open to considering the comment as valid, why debate it?

wordsheff

Banned
Reaction score
i don't think it's bad to respond to another's critique because disagreements allow for more insights to come out ... instead of someone saying "oh how delightful...really got me in the gut and i'll carry it with me all day" someone who would have wrote that will read "that wasn't good" and then they'll be driven to refute that.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
What do you think about poem critiques that respond to other crits, rather than the original poem? For example:

- the poet?

I would think that discussing another's crit be would acceptable if the discourse served the original poem. If it opened up a greater dialogue with other critters, then that would be fine. Back and forth nits wouldn't serve any purpose.

I've seen this done correctly with class and respect in the SYW Science Fiction threads. There is a fine line. Just don't hijack the thread. I did this recently without any intention of doing so. All it took was three combined posts to accompish this. I won't let it happen again.

Mike

Last edited:

ddgryphon

King of Sloth Town
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm in the camp of critique the poem, disagree if you like, but state why in a helpful way. No need to get sidetracked with each others disagreement about the poem -- the poet is well capable of making their own decisions in what to listen to, and what to not listen to.

Clear?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dahmnait said:
Now I need clarification. Poet, are you talking about other people critiquing a crit, or the OP responding to one?
What I meant was the former. Thanks, damh.

OP responding to crits -- that's another issue altogether. I believe the SYW forum here follows the convention that the OP doesn't dispute a crit, but accepts it with a "thank you" and uses it, or not, as the OP wishes.

I'll go find the link and add it here.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
That is what I thought. :) I’ve been thinking about this and would like to elaborate a little on my initial response. A critique has two potential factors, one is hard rules and the other is personal opinion. It is one thing to correct someone when the give wrong information. E.g., crit 1 posts incorrect information and crit 2 brings up the correction in a respectful manner. To me, that is ok.

When I say keep the crit focused to the OP, I am referring to personal opinion. Everyone reads a piece differently. Not everyone will like, not everyone will "get" it. Take your example. There is no reason for crit 2 to invalidate crit 1's personal opinion. It is up to the OP to decide whether or not the crit has feedback they can use.

Now if your example read:

Crit 2: "I didn't get that. I thought it was delightful irony. Would you mind elaborating on what you saw as anti-climatic?"

(Ok, not the greatest rewrite of your example, but hopefully you get the idea.)

In this example crit 2 is not invalidating crit 1's opinion. This opens it up for discussion in which the OP will get useful information. The other option should be to just state your opinion. There is no reason to tell the person that they don't get it, that they are wrong, or that they missed a point. It doesn't help the OP, or anyone else, which is the reason we crit, right?

Last edited:

Bret

Opinionated curmudgeon
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Focus first on your opinion of the piece. Not someone elses. Form a reply before you read the other responses.

Even so, a discussion forum will naturally engender "discussion." Thats kind of the point.

I have no problem with someone's honest disagreement with my POV. If I can't defend my position, maybe it isn't worth having. If being challenged over your assertion is a daunting prospect, stay away from people with opinions other than your own.

I am one person with one way of seeing poems. Right, wrong, whatever. My opinion is fairly insignificant. Its only "what I think" at best.

Last edited:

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
poetinahat said:

- the poet?

Those who want to talk about ... eh whatever, there are boards for that, no? Reader-writer relationship is a precarious one and poetry boards are a most specific , needed and welcomed by both 'personal' meeting ground. I cannot imagine that poets would appreciate it when crit-dicussions turn into post-flares in their threads. Altough I dare say the idea has some merit. A better idea would be to put up a crit school of some sort. As it now is, its only the examples that are set re crit that inspires ... this however does work in a small way, don't you think?

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
Critique the poem. If one disagrees with another person's comment it's an easy thing to do to just convey this to the author of the poem, not the author of the critique. Critiques -no matter how well educated, are always subjects of opinion.

For example

a:poem

b: You should stay away from religious themes.

c: I don't think you should stay away from religious themes, I found this poem very insightful.

Thus focus is put on the poem and not the various critiques or the people giving them. This should avoid unnecessary debates mid-thread and leave the spotlight on the poem -where it belongs.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
poetinahat said:
What I meant was the former. Thanks, damh.

OP responding to crits -- that's another issue altogether. I believe the SYW forum here follows the convention that the OP doesn't dispute a crit, but accepts it with a "thank you" and uses it, or not, as the OP wishes.

I'll go find the link and add it here.

SYW doesn't have a hard policy except that there should be no personal insults and I tend to step in when a writer and critique just hammer the same point over and over without progress in a you're wrong/no you're wrong sort of way (frequently leading to breaking rule #1 )

Writers may certainly respond to crits in SYW but I agree that it should be with an open mind not just to refute the criticism and say how it is outright "wrong".

IMHO (not as policy) the overall tone of the complete response should be able to be summarised as 'thank you'. That is more likely to make the whole interaction a positive one.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A recent example here has the poet just name the critiquer and say 'I totally disagree' -- I don't see the value or point of that. It's like taking a gift and tossing it in the bin before the giver has even left the room. Even if the gift was the most hideous thing you have ever seen that just isn't polite.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
veinglory said:
IMHO (not as policy) the overall tone of the complete response should be able to be summarised as 'thank you'. That is more likely to make the whole interaction a positive one.

Yes appreciation yet poetry is also 'playing ball' - the toupher (omg how does one spell taffer!) the opponent the more one is libel to respond better. Not relly compitition but if one gets crit that's fundamental and points can be proved (I differ a bit from Rivana that seems to hold the opinion that crit is only subjective) then this is really valuable to the person who posted the poem. The critter anyway should have the insight to crit the individual 'write' - firm and fair yet always to the appealling towards the 'higher'.

I wonder if I am making a point here at all...

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
man, i think it's a good thing to discuss or challenge other crits. if you disagree with a crit, make a point of it. why the hell not? it's an indirect crit of the poem.

Status
Not open for further replies.