Do you write better with music? Or in silence?

Mmlaw95

Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys write better if you have music in the background, or when the room you're sitting in is completely quiet?

I tend to write better when there's music playing at a low volume in the background. The music inspires certain scenes for me. :)

If you do listen to music while you write, what groups/singers do you listen to?

I listen to a lot of Beyonce's songs. I'm not sure why, but her songs are very inspiring to me.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
The music helps me when I'm brainstorming or thinking of plots, but when I'm writing, I need silence around me.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to put music on when I wrote. I quickly learned I didn't even hear it.

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer writing when it's quiet, but I'm so used to writing when I'm on public transit, that not much gets through my defenses anymore. Unless someone is being obnoxiously loud with their cell or tablet, I can tune it out.

I can handle some nice instrumental music though. My fav is the soundtrack to Braveheart.

wweisser

七国山病院へ&#
Registered
Reaction score
Website
metanautics.net
I prefer silence. Any music with lyrics distracts me. Music without lyrics might work, but really I think if I'm in the "zone" I'm not actually hearing it, so what's the point of going through the trouble of selecting the right song to suit the mood, etc...

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
same same

I use music to change my moods. The music is good for creativity and getting new ideas, but when I'm actually implementing everything, silence works best.

The music helps me when I'm brainstorming or thinking of plots, but when I'm writing, I need silence around me.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Music helps me get in the mood to write a particular scene, but I can't work with it playing. Classical is about the only thing I can tolerate, but only when I have to drown something out. Anything with lyrics is too distracting.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

I used to put music on when I wrote. I quickly learned I didn't even hear it.

+1 to both.

I think it was in a book on animation that I skimmed once (The Animator's Survival Kit, maybe?) that I saw something that summed it up: the author, a newbie artist, asked one of his mentors and long-time heroes what classical music he listened to when sketching - which he assumed was common practice, as he and most everyone he studied with listened to music - and the older guy turned on him with a sharp snarl: "Nothing! I'm not smart enough to do two things at once!" After this encounter, the younger artist gave silence a try, and realized he was sketching better, and was more focused on his art, than when he had his headphones on. By focusing on just one task instead of splitting his attention, he improved faster. I find it works similarly for me; I can brainstorm to music, but when I'm actually creating - art or writing - I don't hear it anymore. I only use it to drown out annoying noises, or to help me reach that in-the-zone state of not noticing my surroundings. (Actually, I don't usually use music to drown noises out; I have a cheap hour-long MP3 loop of ocean waves for that.)

Mmlaw95

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to tune out things as well. For example my dog will bark at almost anyone who walks past my house. I eventually learned to tune her barks out. I still take breaks from writing to take care of her of course.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer silence. Any music with lyrics distracts me. Music without lyrics might work, but really I think if I'm in the "zone" I'm not actually hearing it, so what's the point of going through the trouble of selecting the right song to suit the mood, etc...
This is me too, basically. :) If there's another voice in the room, that plays havoc with my ability to think up my own words.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I write with instrumental music playing in the background. I liked playing horror music soundtracks, but my husband was rather creeped out when he heard the Exorcist coming through the speakers. Now, I stick to traditional classical music when he's home.

I can listen to lyrical music in foreign languages as well. As long as I can't understand the lyrics, it doesn't distract.

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I write with instrumental music playing in the background. I liked playing horror movie/game soundtracks, but my husband was rather creeped out when he heard the Exorcist coming through the speakers. Now, I stick to traditional classical music when he's home.

Darron

Always trust a geologist
Registered
Reaction score
I can brainstorm to music, but when I'm actually creating - art or writing - I don't hear it anymore. I only use it to drown out annoying noises, or to help me reach that in-the-zone state of not noticing my surroundings.

I relate to this as well. It's nice to have something playing (and for me at least it needs to be a specific couple bands) when thinking out how I want to continue my WIP, but oftentimes I'll either stop it when I get into writing mode or tune it down so that I have something other than silence in the room .
(Note: I really hope the Silence are not in my room)

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I write better if I have background noise of some kind, whether it's the TV, music or just kids running and playing. That said, I definitely do my best work after the kids are in bed because I get into the groove and then someone needs something lol

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
I must have total silence most of the time. Sometimes if I'm too amped up and can't focus, I'll put on some ambient music in the background to occupy part of my brain -- seems to help me settle down. I have a Pandora station built around Brian Eno's Music for Airports for that exact purpose.

This may sound terrible, but it's not actually silence I need most to focus. It's lack of husband. I can. not. focus. when. he. is. home. It doesn't even matter if he's on the other side of the house, keeping quietly to himself. Just knowing he's home kills my concentration for some reason! I need to move past it somehow.