• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Tired of hearing the same meme repeated again and again about the beginning of books - action, action, action. No book I ever loved did this. I'm sorry but if every book read like an action movie, I simply wouldn't read nearly as much. I very much am turned off overdone action books.

Thus, I've decided I'm going to throw out the rules and write what I want and not what the "rules" tell me to do.

That is all.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
This is fun. It's been a while since I've felt this excited about my characters. I need to stop planning so much and try remembering why I started writing in the first place. Being published is one of my goals, but I don't want it to be my first priority.

hologram

I'm broken I need repaired!
Registered
Reaction score
What's on my mind? The fact that it's fast becoming clear that I'm not good enough to write my book to any half decent standard.

pezerp59

Inexorable
Registered
Reaction score
I've passed the 10k point on the historical fiction novel in progress. I'm thinking about the breakdown of the text into smaller segments comprising individual chapters.

JQ377

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tumblr.com
I'm working on editing for clarity right now but since I haven't even worked out all of the kinks in my head yet it's next to impossible for the characters to explain things.

John Olexa

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mad! thought up a whole paragraph in my head while driving and by the time I pulled over, found pen & paper.. it was gone! I GOT to get some type of small tape recorder! LOL

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone, I'm back!

Lessee;

1) Editing 40 pages worth- beginning of story to inciting incident- down for two beta readers. Ten pages left. Due two weeks ago.

2) Came up with two new story ideas last week. One might end up being my next project after this one, the other could use some work. Might end up being a SS submission.

3) Fuck. All I want to do right now is write! Yet, I really can't until I finish those edits!

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, just finally finished the editing. Now, back to the writing!

Can. Not. Wait to get this thing up and running!

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
I went back to a piece I started a few months ago. I currently have two versions of it, both having different villains (strange right?) Both are pretty rough, but I have no idea which one to continue on with.

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
I am obsessed with character names. I am one of those people that extensively researches each name before I put them in my work. However, I have this one character's name whose last name is Wilson - nothing special really. Means son of Will. Now, normally that wouldn't fly for me but why did I pick it. Yeah, I was watching Castaway and the whole "Wilson" thing just cracks me up.

Now, it's driving me crazy. I keep seeing that name and think 'son of Will'. Hmm, doesn't fit. Ack - I over think things. But that damn volleyball makes me keep it for now.

Anyway, the things I think about in the middle of the night.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
I am obsessed with character names. I am one of those people that extensively researches each name before I put them in my work. However, I have this one character's name whose last name is Wilson - nothing special really. Means son of Will. Now, normally that wouldn't fly for me but why did I pick it. Yeah, I was watching Castaway and the whole "Wilson" thing just cracks me up.

Now, it's driving me crazy. I keep seeing that name and think 'son of Will'. Hmm, doesn't fit. Ack - I over think things. But that damn volleyball makes me keep it for now.

Anyway, the things I think about in the middle of the night.

Ah Wilson is one of my all time favourite movie characters... and he's a volleyball! So good choice for a name.

Is this working? It seems to be working.

Yep. Definitely working.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mad! thought up a whole paragraph in my head while driving and by the time I pulled over, found pen & paper.. it was gone! I GOT to get some type of small tape recorder! LOL
:) Yep, that's why I bought one.

However, I have my very best ideas just as I'm falling asleep, but I never have my recorder handy then. I'm always POSITIVE that such brilliance cannot possibly be forgotten, so I don't get up and write it down or search out the recorder. Guess what . . .

Ah Wilson is one of my all time favourite movie characters... and he's a volleyball!
I cried when Wilson floated away. Heartbreaking. :cry: I think of it often.

JQ377

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tumblr.com
I'm still working on editing but I'm getting little done because I'm in post-school, do nothing mode. I did finish a season and a half of SVU but that's hardly an accomplishment. Hopefully things go better today.

Gargoyle

Working on plot and structure!
Registered
Reaction score
With iPhones and Droids around it should be fairly easy to record your thoughts and replay them when you get home. I often think of a good line when driving and record it on my cell phone or leave a voice mail for myself. There are ways to get around these quick lapses.

Alex

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I've got one chapter done in this story I've started. However, I have some more of it to write. Obviously. :roll: Haha. I'm thinking about changing the ending of the first chapter. I already feel it morphing into something that I've written before. I want to head that off.

I'm trying to write some Fantasy Romance or Romance with Fantasy elements. I don't know. Something. Haha.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
I'm working on a time travel novel. It's very timey-wimey wibbley-wobbley and I think I wibbled and wimed where I should have timely wobbled. It isn't a good thing when you get tied in knots.
Good thing I am still in the beginning stages. I think an outline is in order.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been able to write now for three weeks. It's really bothering me. I need to stop being depressed.

S.P. van der Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I can't decide whether to pursue self publishing (going indie) or sticking with regular publishing and hoping to be found. I just can't keep on waiting for someone to find me (yes, I've sent some queries, all of them were a no, but I'm still improving my work every now and then)...
Indie is appealing to me, because I have full control and decide what I earn. There's so many options... I'm just afraid that when I do it, there's no going back :S

Oh well....

I've taken the time to create a cover already. For when I actually might publish my own work. Plus, I was already planning on placing a few chapters online as bait :p. So why not give those a nice cover to attract more fans? What do you guys think?

model_3.jpg